Save the World Chicken Soup

Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
2007/03/22 04:39:12 (permalink)

Save the World Chicken Soup

My kids decided long ago if ordinary chicken soup can cure the common cold, this soup could save the world. Thus their name for it, "Save the World Chicken Soup."
Let's see if I can remember the list... A whole boiled chicken, chopped up (I dice the skin and leave most of it in the broth), it is supposed to have medicinal qualities), Anaheim green chilis, yellow onions, garlic, Brussels sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, fresh snow peas, carrots, and a couple of cans of Mexican-style corn. If you use regular corn add some pimento, or a big red bell pepper or two. Mushrooms are also welcome in most anything I cook. My second wife didn't like tomatos, so they were left out of the first batch of this, but a can of tomatos works well if desired.
The major seasonings I use in it are Tony Chachere's Seasoning, fresh ground black pepper, bay leaves, basil, oregano, and sage.
This has to be served with an iron skillet of corn bread, of course. My Father-in-law the first time I made this was eighty-something years old. I sent some soup to him in one of those three pound plastic bowls butter comes in, with half of a square skillet which held a double batch of cornbread. Mom-in-law ate one bowl, he ate the rest at one sitting. He pronounced it THE best chicken soup he'd ever eaten. :-)

7 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1