The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Restaurants with a 'tude.....

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43
harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Sat, 08/9/03 3:52 PM (permalink)
Thank you for the tip on Chick's. It appears to be behind Valley Cleaners' off Route 70 in the Ellisburg section of Cherry Hill, by Cooper Landing Road near Locustwood Memorial Park. I actually live closer to Olga's (don't go), but once lived in Pennsauken, and never heard of Chick's. I'd like to check it out sometime! The Mom & Pop places usually have the best food.

My two cents about attitude and customer service. I just feel that people should be nice when they're serving you. Honest to G-d, it doesn't take that much effort. No, we certainly don't live in a perfect world, and some customers actually go out of their way to be abused by waitstaff just for a giggle and a story. I can't figure that out. Please note that I am Philadelphia born and raised, so I have seen all sorts of attitudes from all walks of life in many professions. And I just think that someone who's mean to you when you're paying for goods or services should just take their personal frustrations out at home or do something else for a living. Again, I sound like a Pollyanna in this post, I'm sure, but may I add that because I can give it as good as I get it, I won't hesitate to say to somebody like that, "Why are you so MEAN/RUDE?" I've done it, and I won't leave a decent tip if the service is bad and a worse one if the attitude is bad as well. I just don't think that 'tude is "cute".

Again my two cents only.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Sun, 09/19/04 12:11 AM (permalink)
    The Rendezvous, in Memphis. You better know what you want and don't mess around with the wait staff.

carl reitz

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7385
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Sun, 09/26/04 3:26 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by carlton pierre

The Rendezvous, in Memphis. You better know what you want and don't mess around with the wait staff.

carl reitz

The Rendezvous is nothing to be intimidated about, just a little good natured ribbing.

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
        RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Sun, 09/26/04 3:37 PM (permalink)

And for that previous post, rimshot, please!!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
          RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Mon, 09/27/04 4:04 PM (permalink)
          Ruben's Deli had a reputation for "Food with a Tude." Ruben, an old school deli man, never smiled and was strictly business. His food was always fresh and tasty. One day while chowing down lox & bagels, I observed him at his finest. A customer came in to purchase some chopped liver and asked if it was fresh. Suddenly, all hell broke loose. "Of course it is," he snapped. As she began to cry he said, "There's no welcome sign on my door!" She replied, you're a mean man." She paid for the chopped liver and left the store. As Ruben watched her drive off, he muttered, "she'll be back." I returned for breakfast one week later and that woman returned to drive him nuts once again. It was a great floor show.

leslie1787

• Total Posts: 105
            RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Tue, 09/28/04 10:10 PM (permalink)
            quote:

carl reitz

They know their bizzness! There is something quite divine about being told what's what by a member of their all black, all male wait staff. They are as hot and spicy as the slabs of ribs they deliver to your table. By the By if you go there do not order the chicken, the lamb or anything but the pig! If you are not there for the ribs then go somewheres else....And if you can, go the week that the Elvis impersonators descend on the city. Last time I went down that alley and ate in the basement(not through the front as Cruise's THE FIRM would have you believe)I shared a room and some ribs with a fat Elvis, a black Elvis, a geriatric Elvis, a 6 year old Elvis, and a girl Elvis. I can now honestly say,"I saw Elvis at the Rendezvous!" Thank you Carlton, thank you very much.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
              RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Thu, 10/7/04 4:09 PM (permalink)
              Capt Bob's rt 140 in Princton Mass. I think the rudeness is saved for the non customers that they call "freeloaders". The posted signs say things like "directions $5". They attract bikers who like to ride this nice 2 lane road, and they are actually nice if you buy something. Lots of repeat biz I think. They are well known enough around here to sell t shirts that say "show us your tips"

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Thu, 10/7/04 5:43 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by CheeseWit

Pat's King of Steaks has a 'tude. And I love it! While waiting in line for a steak sandwich, you should read the posted instructions on how to order a steak sandwich. If you mess that up or ask for soda or fries at that window, you're sent back to the end of the line. I love hearing tourists order incorrectly and they are given a sample of that South Philly addy-tude from the staff.

I was in line with my girlfriend, a vegetarian. I ordered my steak correctly and then she asked for a fish cake. Mr. 'Tude, totally flustered, had to yell to the guys in back if they had one, how long to make it, etc. It was a sweet moment, indeed.

wallhd

RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Thu, 10/7/04 6:27 PM (permalink)
                  The worst attitude should be reserved for the infamous "PWA customers". Of course PWA is a old service station abbr. for the customer who comes into the station and wants to use the restroom, get water (to drink or for his radiator, I've never been sure) and air in his tires. I've heard this term used in diners around central New York State several times in the semi-distant past.

Of coure in my own business (which has nothing whatsoever to do with food) we have customers whom I've nicknamed "PTW" which, of course stands for "professional time waster".

Furthermore, many times I've wanted to ask the question of a customer: "What do I look like, a reference librarian?"

Nuff said!

Wally

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3577
                    RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Thu, 10/7/04 6:34 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by wallhd

The worst attitude should be reserved for the infamous "PWA customers". Of course PWA is a old service station abbr. for the customer who comes into the station and wants to use the restroom, get water (to drink or for his radiator, I've never been sure) and air in his tires. I've heard this term used in diners around central New York State several times in the semi-distant past.

Of coure in my own business (which has nothing whatsoever to do with food) we have customers whom I've nicknamed "PTW" which, of course stands for "professional time waster".

Furthermore, many times I've wanted to ask the question of a customer: "What do I look like, a reference librarian?"

Nuff said!

Wally

Well put, Wally!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                      RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Wed, 11/10/04 3:26 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by leslie1787

quote:

carl reitz

They know their bizzness! There is something quite divine about being told what's what by a member of their all black, all male wait staff. They are as hot and spicy as the slabs of ribs they deliver to your table. By the By if you go there do not order the chicken, the lamb or anything but the pig! If you are not there for the ribs then go somewheres else....And if you can, go the week that the Elvis impersonators descend on the city. Last time I went down that alley and ate in the basement(not through the front as Cruise's THE FIRM would have you believe)I shared a room and some ribs with a fat Elvis, a black Elvis, a geriatric Elvis, a 6 year old Elvis, and a girl Elvis. I can now honestly say,"I saw Elvis at the Rendezvous!" Thank you Carlton, thank you very much.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                        RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Wed, 11/10/04 3:32 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by leslie1787

quote:

carl reitz

They know their bizzness! There is something quite divine about being told what's what by a member of their all black, all male wait staff. They are as hot and spicy as the slabs of ribs they deliver to your table. By the By if you go there do not order the chicken, the lamb or anything but the pig! If you are not there for the ribs then go somewheres else....And if you can, go the week that the Elvis

I can attest to this first-hand...I tried to order beef ribs there and the waiter (Charles) just kept shaking his head and pointing to the pork ribs on the menu. I still hear about it from my friends from time to time...that, and the fact that I ate all the unwanted beans that night, too. [:O]

But I have a plan for the day I return...I'm going to order BOTH kinds of ribs!

Brad O.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                          RE: Restaurants with a 'tude..... Wed, 11/10/04 7:32 PM (permalink)
                          There's a place in Goochland County, just west of Richmond, called
                          The North Pole. You talk about attitude... well, the wait staff is wonderful. They're just intimidated by the owner/chef, who is a total tyrant. But...one night (years ago), I was driving home from Charlottesville and was hungry. I stopped in at The North Pole to see if I could get something to eat. "No, we don't make those hamburgers anymore," the voice from the kitchen called. "We're closed!" he said. As I was getting ready to leave (still hungry), the owner came out of the kitchen and asked me "If you're hungry, go sit down over there. We have some crab legs left over if you want..." And he told one of the waitresses to take a plate full of king crab legs over to me.
                          No charge.

I ate all I could. And there were still leftovers.

I left a $20 on the table.

I was thankful.

Frank

PS: Linda and I have gone to that place many times since. Still good. Not cheap. Still has a 'tude.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com