The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chili Blocks

LV Hayes

• Total Posts: 4
Chili Blocks Sun, 04/1/07 4:40 PM (permalink)
When I was growing up in southwestern Louisiana many decades ago, we used to buy from the local general store a block of dried chili that looked awful (like it was made of dew laps and other unmentionables), but tasted wonderful. To fix it, you crumbled it up in a pot (a hammer helped), added water, and heated it to the desired temperature. We ate it over rice or saltine crackers.

The last time I had any (circa 1975), the dried variety was gone, and the block was wrapped in some kind of thin paper or plastic and kept in a refrigerated case like the cylinders of breakfast sausage and chili dog sauce. Nowadays, block chili isn't sold at all in that area, and the local yokels (my kinfolk) don't even remember the good ole dried-in-a-block stuff.

Does anyone know if dry chili blocks are still sold anywhere and if so can they be ordered online? I've looked before, and some meat markets do still make the stuff, but the only place that had it online was in Los Angeles and sold it only by the pallet. I could probably use a pallet full, but got no place to store it.

LV Hayes
ancient chili lover

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com