The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicken Salad Sandwich

js8489

• Total Posts: 6
Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 08/5/03 3:16 AM (permalink)
Does anyone have a recipe for a chicken salad sandwich?

Texicana

• Total Posts: 185
    RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 08/5/03 7:41 AM (permalink)
    Actually I do! I am notorious for not measuring, basically eyeballing ingredients, so bear with me please. What you do is boil up enough chicken (on the bone is best, more flavor, white or dark) with some salt. When the chicken is cooked ( you can used canned in a pinch) let it cool to the touch and then take off any skin and fat and then shred it.

To that you add some cracked pepper to, then some chopped green onions, green or red bell pepper, and hard boiled eggs. I prefer mayonnaise, some like Miracle Whip. If you use MW, mix that in and you are done, just let chill a bit. If you use a good mayo, like Hellman's, add enough in to make it easy to mix, and then drizzle a bit of the orangey french dressing (or Catalina) in and combine. It adds a sweet flavor to it that is really tasty.

Edited to add: I forgot, but don't YOU forget to add some sweet pickles!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
      RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 08/5/03 9:26 AM (permalink)
      My recipe is somewhat different in that I try to get the chicken tender, by not overboiling. Bring a pot of water and celery, onion, carrot to boil, place the chicken pieces in the pot, when it re-boils, turn the heat off and cover for an hour. You get the most tender chicken, however, the broth is not as rich to save for soup, etc. Bone the chicken, chop, and add your favorite salad ingredients. I use, mayo, celery and carrot chopped fine, a little minced onion, diced hardboiled eggs, and relish. S & P to taste and that's it.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
        RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 08/5/03 10:28 AM (permalink)
        I love chicken salad with pecans and grapes in it!

I have also had at some of requisite luncheons a curried chicken salad which I really liked. I would love to have a recipie for it.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
          RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 08/5/03 4:45 PM (permalink)
          All I do to make curried chicken salad (great for tea party finger sandwiches) is mix curry powder into the mayo. Some people add raisins and even cashews, but I like it smooth for little sandwiches. I have considered adding chutney, but lack the nerve.

Polly's pies made a good chicken salad with big hunks of meat, mayo, cashew pieces and chopped green grapes (am I forgetting anything, Mayor?).

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
            RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 08/5/03 5:03 PM (permalink)
            Oooh! Raisins and cashews! Wonder how pineapple would be? I am going to have to make some.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 08/5/03 7:04 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Lone Star

Ditto! Wow, I thought my grandmother made that up.

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Thu, 08/7/03 2:09 PM (permalink)
                I like my chicken salad nice and simple. I cook the chicken the same as oneiron339. I use a good amount of Hellmans mayo and a large tablespoon of dijon mustard. Salt, pepper and a good amount of finely chopped fresh chives and you are ready for white bread.

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
                  RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Thu, 08/7/03 2:22 PM (permalink)
                  I'll try this again--

Tony's Chicken Salad:

1 whole chicken, poached, skinned and boned, then cubed
                  30 grapes, seedless, halved
                  1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
                  3 stalks celery, chopped fine
                  ½ onion, chopped fine
                  1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
                  ½ - 1 cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip)
                  ¼ c. chopped parsley
                  ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
                  salt and pepper to taste.

Toss, chill at least 6 hours (6 to 8 servings)

Chicken Salad:

2 c. cooked cubed chicken
                  2 ribs celery, chopped
                  1 green apple, cored and chopped
                  ½ c. chopped walnuts
                  ½ c. grated cheddar cheese
                  3 minced green onions
                  1/3 c. mayonnaise mixed with juice of ½ lemon

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                    RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 03/23/04 12:19 PM (permalink)
                    Here's how I make my chicken salad

Cook chicken at a simmer.( cooking at a high heat makes it tough)
                    Cook until tender.

Debone, chop and add chopped celery, dill pickles and boiled eggs. salt and pepper to taste.

Mix with mayonaisse (Dukes is my favorite ). Then add a little bit of pickle juice and a little bit of the broth that you stewed your chicken in. This makes it very moist and tasty.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                      RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Wed, 03/24/04 7:36 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Lone Star

I have also had at some of requisite luncheons a curried chicken salad which I really liked. I would love to have a recipie for it.

Besides the curry powder, you can add a little bit of orange juice to the mayonnaise for a fruited chicken salad. For the ultimate in Ladies' Lunch splendor, serve it in hollowed out fresh pineapple halves.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                        RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Wed, 03/24/04 3:16 PM (permalink)
                        Here's mine:

1 rotisserie (any flavor) chicken, stripped off the bone and lightly chopped
                        3 ribs celery, chopped
                        1 cup chopped walnuts
                        1 large can mandarin oranges (two, if you really like it fruity)
                        coleslaw dressing to moisten and to taste

Rather unusual and piquant flavor. No other seasoning is needed -- I like lemon pepper rotisserie chickens best.

RedPatti

• Total Posts: 135
                          RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Wed, 03/24/04 5:02 PM (permalink)
                          PWingsx: I kept waiting for someone to mention the rotisserie chicken. Makes it so much easier and faster. White onion seems to bring out the flavor of the chicken, cold, chopped white onion and then all the other stuff added (sometimes chopped green olives with pimento too) if I'm not adding sweet pickles. Yum Yum.

Sundancer7

RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Wed, 03/24/04 5:26 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Pwingsx

Here's mine:

1 rotisserie (any flavor) chicken, stripped off the bone and lightly chopped
                            3 ribs celery, chopped
                            1 cup chopped walnuts
                            1 large can mandarin oranges (two, if you really like it fruity)
                            coleslaw dressing to moisten and to taste

Rather unusual and piquant flavor. No other seasoning is needed -- I like lemon pepper rotisserie chickens best.

No doubt that rotisserie chicken is great in chicken salad. I find that my chicken salad made fresh with warm rotisserie is great. What is listed above is according to taste. Whether it is grapes, walnuts, pecans, celery or other neat taste depends on you but the rotisserie is moist, tender and tasty. I buy mine at Walmart at $3.99 on sale. I also prefer Hellman's mayo in my mixture.

Paul E. Smith
                            knoxville, TN

forurlungsonly

• Total Posts: 92
                              RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Thu, 04/1/04 7:49 PM (permalink)
                              I'm a little late jumping in on this chicken salad topic, but I just recently made some. I had bought a package of chicken tenders that I cubed and then froze intending to use in a chicken pot pie. Well it turned out to be much more chicken than I needed for the pie, but I had it all lumped together and so needed to cook it all. I gently simmered the chicken in salted water, though I would have poached in chicken broth, had I had any. I then mixed in light mayonnaise (trying to lose some weight), Inglehoffer's fabulous Sweet Hot Mustard, and a little extra honey for good measure and salt and peppered. Put it all on a nice flour tortilla with lettuce and tomato. Delicious!

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Fri, 12/3/04 2:53 PM (permalink)
                                I love chicken salad sandwiches. My favorite recipe comes from a place in Knoxville called "The Lunchbox". A restaurant and carry out place. Here it is:

Dressing:
                                1 C sour cream
                                1 C mayo
                                1 tsp basil
                                1/2 oz dry ranch mix

6 C cooked, diced chicken breasts
                                1/2 C sliced green onion
                                1 1/2 C chopped walnuts

Combine the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

This is so easy and it's good as a sandwich, or in a pita.

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
                                  RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Tue, 07/12/05 2:40 AM (permalink)
                                  Why make your own? Try Arby's ©Chicken Salad Sandwhich with pecans.It has mayo,apples,pecans,diced grilled chicken,cucumbers, and its damn tasty.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                    RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Wed, 07/13/05 2:43 PM (permalink)
                                    Arghhhhhhhhh>

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
                                      RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Wed, 07/13/05 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                      Why....yes...an Arby's Chicken Salad sounds good right now...I must leave office...must find Arby's...

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                        RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Wed, 07/13/05 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                        I just keep remembering that episode of the Simpsons when all the children are shipwrecked on an island and one of them exclaims, "I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's", to which all the other kids murmur in astonishment, "man, she really is hungry".

thelupuslady.com

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Sat, 10/15/05 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by fastfood

Why make your own? Try Arby's ©Chicken Salad Sandwhich with pecans.It has mayo,apples,pecans,diced grilled chicken,cucumbers, and its damn tasty.

I do an “eyeball” kind of imitation Arby's Chicken Salad sandwich recipe that goes lightening fast at all the church things I go to. In fact, I a making three huge platters for this Sunday night!

I use equal amounts of:

1) Seedless Red Globe Grapes (Cut in half or quarters if you prefer smaller pieces)

2) Apples (Chopped in medium sized pieces. Just don’t make them so small that they disintegrate when stirred into the salad!)

3) Chicken cubes or small shreds (I have used grilled, but I like to cook it in a crock pot until it falls off the bone. Lightly spiced as it cooks with chicken bullion, garlic powder – not garlic salt – and a bit of freshly ground pepper)

4) To this mix add finely chopped walnuts or pecans, your preference. Add an amount you like. When I add 2 cups each of the first three ingredients I will add at least 1 cup of chopped nuts. You may prefer more or less – just eyeball it!

5) Stir this all together with Mayo or miracle whip until it is as moist as you like. I like mine very moist so that it is spreadable, not gloppy. I use Mayo – Hellmann’s or a good generic.

This is the basic mix. To this you can “customize” it with what you have on hand, and to your personal taste. Things I have used are:

1) Chopped Cucumber. ( Remove the seeds and just use the solid part. I give the seed to my guinea pigs!)
                                          2) Chopped Celery. (Smaller pieces, not huge chunks.)
                                          3) Mustard (I prefer brown)
                                          4) Horseradish ( I usually add about a tablespoon of this)
                                          5) Wasabi (Or Wasabi mayo is excellent too!)
                                          6) Chopped onion ( my kids don’t like onion, so I chop I t very small and hide it. When I make it for a party I will add about a half cup to the proportions listed above)
                                          7) Chicken Fajita seasoning mix (adds such a nice flavor!)
                                          8) Sour cream (adds a bit of tangyness)
                                          9) Hard boiled eggs (chopped. I rarely use this as I like eggs in an egg salad instead)
                                          10) Raisins ( again, rarely used as I prefer it in other salads and want this one to remain “different”)
                                          11) Chopped Pickles (Rarely used for the same reason listed in #10)

Put the filling in a thick multi grain bread, like Arby’s uses. You can also use pita, tortillas, or my favorite – cream puff shells. For a party small, about XL egg sized, shells filled with chicken salad are a real hit! I put a frilly toothpick in each one and keep them on ice till they are put out, They never last long enough to worry about them getting too warm.

Thelupuslady.com’s Usual Arby’s Chicken Salad Sandwich Mix:

2 Cups chopped apples
                                          2 Cups cut red globe grapes
                                          2 Cups chicken cubes or shreds
                                          1 Cup finely chopped walnuts
                                          1 Cup (about) Mayo
                                          ½ Cup (about) Sour cream
                                          ½ Cup finely chopped onion
                                          Salt
                                          Pepper (freshly ground!)
                                          1 Tablespoon (about) Chicken Fajita seasoning mix

Mix all together and serve in individual sized cream puff shells, or on a whole grain bread, pita, or tortilla.

NOTE: I always use freshly ground pepper. I think it adds a flavor that pre-ground pepper just can not offer. At your local grocery store, even in a tiny town like mine, you can find peppers offered in small grinders for less than two dollars. They have white (which is spicy and is best in white or light colored foods), Black, and multi colored. The multi colored even has pink and green peppercorns in it. A fantastic way to add more varied flavors without spending a fortune or risking ruining a nice dish! Experiment and find a blend you love! I have used all of these in this recipe – and all are wonderful!

Sundancer7

RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Sat, 10/15/05 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                            I make my chicken salad very close to the above post. The only main difference is I buy a fresh rotisserie BBQ chicken. It is very tasty and moist and adds intense flavor to the salad. I use the entire chicken.

Paul E. smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                              RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Sun, 01/13/08 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                              We recently had lunch at the Immaculate Consumption here in Columbia (a great place) and their chicken salad appears to just be: shredded chicken, chopped green apple, slivered almonds, and just enough olive oil to hold it together. There might be something else in there (I thought I tasted celery seed), but no mayo to speak of, and it's delicious.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Sun, 01/13/08 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Sundancer7

I make my chicken salad very close to the above post. The only main difference is I buy a fresh rotisserie BBQ chicken. It is very tasty and moist and adds intense flavor to the salad. I use the entire chicken.

Paul E. smith
                                                Knoxville, TN

The mojo flavored rotisserie chickens at walmart make a great chicken salad... Havent seem them here, just Florida...

High Springs Gator

• Total Posts: 61
                                                  RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Sun, 01/13/08 10:01 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

The mojo flavored rotisserie chickens at walmart make a great chicken salad... Havent seem them here, just Florida...

Publix in Florida makes a good mojo chicken as well.

sodawater43

• Total Posts: 88
                                                    RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Sun, 01/13/08 10:13 PM (permalink)
                                                    Our favorite chicken salad is Arby's.I won't eat any other.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
                                                      RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Sun, 01/13/08 10:55 PM (permalink)
                                                      Arby's chicken salad??????The next thing you'll tell me is they sell roast beef????Yeah right!!
                                                      leethebard

MiamiDon

RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Mon, 01/14/08 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                                        My take on a chicken salad is a bit simpler than some. I prefer not to boil the chicken, as that reduces the flavor of it.

INGREDIENTS

2 large, whole bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
                                                        1 tablespoon vegetable oil
                                                        salt

For Salad

2 medium ribs celery, diced
                                                        2 medium scallions, chopped
                                                        3/4 cup mayonnaise
                                                        1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 small lemon)
                                                        2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
                                                        salt and pepper

Oil and Salt Chicken Breasts

Roast in 400º oven for 30 - 40 min, 'til done.

Cool, skin, bone, shred.

Add to celery, scallions, mayo, lemon and parsley.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add chopped apple and chopped toasted walnut for Waldorf Chicken Salad.

waiterhell

• Total Posts: 88
                                                          • Location: winston-salem, NC
                                                          RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Mon, 01/14/08 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                                          1/2 roasted/broiled chicken pieces

Diced celery

A smidge of sweet onion

Pinch of celery seed or just smoked paprika garnish

Mayo (Helmans or Kraft....no Miracle Whupped)

Smidge of Durkee's dressing

Bring on the lettuce or kaiser rolls

THAT is southern chicken salad ! ; )

anna32182

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: redford, MI
                                                            RE: Chicken Salad Sandwich Thu, 01/17/08 8:25 PM (permalink)
                                                            I use rotisserie chicken, honey mustard salad dressing, a touch of mayo for creaminess, apples, grapes and grated onion.
                                                            Scrumptious!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com