The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Easter Dinner Dessert?

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 10:16 AM (permalink)
I am hosting Easter dinner Sunday. I have the menu complete but I am not sure what to make for dessert. I would like to make a pie or a cake but right now I am uninspired. Suggestions from anyone?

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
    RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 10:23 AM (permalink)
    I'm really in the mood for pineapple upside-down cake!

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
      RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 10:46 AM (permalink)
      Susan,what a coinsidence ! My name is Susan ,too! And,both southern girls! My family's traditional Easter cake is southern " Lemon Cheese " cake...Layers of white cake, a lemon-curd like filling between the layers: egg yolks,sugar,butter,lemon juice and lemon zest,and white "boiled" icing or seven-minute icing on the top and sides...I also make a strawberry lemon trifle.Layers of my homemade pound cake,strawberries,lemon custard and topped with whipped cream !

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
        RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 10:57 AM (permalink)
        I'd suggest german chololate cake and a side of vanilla ice cream...but I'd suggest that every time.

iqdiva

RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 11:02 AM (permalink)
          It should be coincidence...so sorry about the spelling error...After I reached 50 my spelling has become abysmal !

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
            RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 11:02 AM (permalink)
            I'm partial to pineapple, sour cream pie,
            or a berry or peach cobbler

outolunch

• Total Posts: 34
              RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 11:27 AM (permalink)
              Our traditional Easter desserts have always been strawberry short cakes (made with the traditional New England baking powder biscuits rather than cake) and a lemon pound cake made in a bundt mold. I am not sure how these traditions evolved since I inherited them, but somehow the strawberries and the lemon cake do seem to hit the right spring-like notes.

susanll

RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 11:42 AM (permalink)
                Thanks....the lemon curd filling is very appealing. Which means I better make that tonight. ;)

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                  RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 4:33 PM (permalink)
                  Whoppers. Only time I indulge in them.

Mmmmm....malted milk balls.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                    RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 4:38 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by susanll

I am hosting Easter dinner Sunday. I have the menu complete but I am not sure what to make for dessert. I would like to make a pie or a cake but right now I am uninspired. Suggestions from anyone?
                    What's on the main menu? Won't that influence your dessert choice?

kitty626

• Total Posts: 49
                      RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 5:02 PM (permalink)
                      Carrot cake, of course. How better to get the Easter Bunny to come to the house?

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                        RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 6:40 PM (permalink)
                        The "uninspired" part of your post inspired me to think about a really different sort of Easter dessert. Fair warning, I have never made it and only offer the concept for it, but I think it would be very easy to do.

This is a variation on the old Jello with fruit in it, an insipid 50's "gourmet" dessert. Omit the insidious canned fruit cocktail. Use small highly flavored jelly beans and quality shaved chocolate instead. I think I would use cherry Jello for both taste and color. In concept I think it would make an interesting desert, colorful with Easter candy embedded in it. A very sweet and different end to a traditional Easter dinner.

For a real gourmet touch, make it in individual cognac glasses topped with whipped cream and a splash of cognac or Cherry Heering liqueur. Again, it is just an untried idea, but the concept seems solid to me.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                          RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 6:43 PM (permalink)
                          My "traditional" Easter Dessert is my peanut butter pie. My kids absolutely love it, and still beg for it even with all the Easter candy around. It tastes like a big peanut butter cup.

I may do a pink lemonade pie or some type of lemon cheesecake too, for something different.

iqdiva

RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 6:44 PM (permalink)
                            Greyghost,I would LOVE that creative dessert...I adore any kind of jelly beans !

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                              RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Fri, 04/6/07 9:30 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Greyghost

The "uninspired" part of your post inspired me to think about a really different sort of Easter dessert. Fair warning, I have never made it and only offer the concept for it, but I think it would be very easy to do.

This is a variation on the old Jello with fruit in it, an insipid 50's "gourmet" dessert. Omit the insidious canned fruit cocktail. Use small highly flavored jelly beans and quality shaved chocolate instead. I think I would use cherry Jello for both taste and color. In concept I think it would make an interesting desert, colorful with Easter candy embedded in it. A very sweet and different end to a traditional Easter dinner.

For a real gourmet touch, make it in individual cognac glasses topped with whipped cream and a splash of cognac or Cherry Heering liqueur. Again, it is just an untried idea, but the concept seems solid to me.

It does sound good - my only concern would be that when the jello was chilled it would make the jelly beans too hard. But I guess that's just a matter of personal taste.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Sat, 04/7/07 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                (edited to add picture)

I am trapped into making this cake. Every few years, I try a different cake but that brings on the whining. Despite all the prepacked ingredients, it has a good taste and is not too sweet.

ORANGE COCONUT CAKE

1 Duncan Hines golden butter cake mix
                                1 can mandarin oranges, including any liquid in the can (11-oz.)
                                4 eggs
                                1/2 cup cooking oil like Crisco oil

Mix together in a large bowl and beat with mixer until oranges have broken up and are distributed through batter, about 4-5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl. Put in 3 greased round cake pans and bake at 325 degrees 25-35 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice
                                1 small package INSTANT lemon pudding mix
                                1 (7 oz.) package sweetened flaked coconut
                                1 (8-10 oz.) container of Cool Whip (can use low fat)

Mix pineapple and pudding mix until smooth in large bowl. Add coconut and mix. Blend in cool whip gently but thoroughly.

Assemble cake, spreading a lot of cool whip mixture between layers. Frost sides and top. Chill overnight in the refrigerator. Notes: finished cake can be frozen and then defrosted in the refrigerator. You can also bake it in two pans instead of three but you'll have filling left over. Just increase the cooking time.

kitty626

• Total Posts: 49
                                  RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Sat, 04/7/07 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                  RubyRose, I'm usually a 'chocolate' girl, but that sounds delicious. I just don't know how I would find the room in my refrigerator right now to store it!...lol

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                    RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Sat, 04/7/07 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                    Lemon Meringe pie, coconut cake, honey balls (struffoli).

susanll

RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Tue, 04/10/07 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                      I ended up making a white layer cake with lemon curd filling. Very sweet and lemony. Also, I had a "martha stewart" moment and made jelly bean bird's nests. These nests are made out of chow mein noodles and melted marshmellows. Sort of like Rice Krispie treats, but formed into individual baskets that hold the beans. Kids loved them.

Darcy

• Total Posts: 23
                                        RE: Easter Dinner Dessert? Tue, 04/10/07 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                        I'd sure appreciate the recipe for that peanut butter pie. My son's 18th BD is in 2 weeks and he would love to have that instead of BD cake!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com