The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hudson Valley Hot Dog Heaven Happening!

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
Hudson Valley Hot Dog Heaven Happening! Sat, 04/7/07 2:17 PM (permalink)
One week before this historic trip, so thought I would start a unique (pronounced: OO-neek) thread! Meeting place will be the fabulous Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown at High Noon - next Saturday the 14th. If you need directions - contact me!

With stops in Middletown, Maybrook, Newburgh, and possibly Kingston/New Paltz/Wallkill. A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

CI Lou

seafarer john

RE: Hudson Valley Hot Dog Heaven Happening! Sun, 04/8/07 11:59 AM (permalink)
    Lou: Can you give us a guesstimate time for arriving at "World's Best" in Newburgh (Middle Hope)? We'll meet you guys there at whatever time. There is no hot dog place here in New Paltz anymore.

If you are going to Kingston, here's directions: Dallas Hot Wieners, N. Front St.:
    Get off the Thruway at Kingston, go around the traffic circle to Washington Ave, take Washington Ave. about three blocks to N. Front St (a bus terminal will be on your left), turn left, go about three blocks , DHW is on your left between Crown and Wall - its a small place , easy to overlook. There's public parking on your left in a lot about four stores before DHW .

Dallas Hot Weiners, Broadway: ( bigger, cleaner, but not better than the older one).Go around the Thruway traffic circle to Chandler Blvd. go straight thru the first (and only) light, turn left on Broadway, go about 7 blocks and look for DHW on your left. It is between Prince St and E. OReilly. If you see Kingston High School, Old City Hall, and Kingston Hospital, you have passed DHW.

Likkers Ice Cream: Take Chandler Dr from Thruway, turn left onto Albany Ave (becomes Ulster Ave at the city line) go about a mile and you'll see The Kings Valley diner (ex. Texas Lunch) on your left, Stop for a hot dog, Go another 3/4 mile and look for a Stewart's dairy shop on your left , that's Morton Ave., the Likkers is behind the Stewarts.

We went to the Wallkill Texas Lunch Friday and I recommend a stop there as part of the tour - unless it is getting too long already.

see you Saturday...

Cheers, John

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
      RE: Hudson Valley Hot Dog Heaven Happening! Mon, 04/9/07 3:55 PM (permalink)
      Hello John ,

I beleive we will be looking at around 200 - 230 pm for Worlds Best .
      We are starting at Noon at CI Rest. in Middletown .
      Another threads have all the stops .
      We may add Texas Lunch after Worlds Best as we are heading back to Middletown if there is time .

Benzee

Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
        RE: Hudson Valley Hot Dog Heaven Happening! Fri, 04/13/07 10:38 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

One week before this historic trip, so thought I would start a unique (pronounced: OO-neek) thread! Meeting place will be the fabulous Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown at High Noon - next Saturday the 14th. If you need directions - contact me!

With stops in Middletown, Maybrook, Newburgh, and possibly Kingston/New Paltz/Wallkill. A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

CI Lou

Where is the place in Maybrook? I'd like to check it out.

[url]www.onarollventures.com[/url]

HDK

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
          RE: Hudson Valley Hot Dog Heaven Happening! Thu, 08/2/12 11:48 PM (permalink)

Snippets of Frankfurter Info

MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. --- (Combined Dispatches) -- Greetings to all my hot dog enthusiast friends and all the ships at sea.

Recently ensconced in the Western Catskills on a secret mission, a brief escape to Middletown, N.Y., brought me to Coney Island Restaurant, home of the much lauded chili dog. Actually, more the chili, not as much the dog.

Along with the memories of past junkets to this rather famous hot dog stop, I had two dogs all the way (chili, mustard and chopped raw onion). The waitress informed that the grilled hot dogs I was served were Tyson’s. ‘Gee, they’ve changed a couple times in the last few years,’ I thought to myself. It was Tobin’s 1st Prize when first I crossed the Island’s threshold.

“Tyson’s?” I asked, “I didn’t know they made hot dogs.” She assured me that they did … both pork and beef. I’m assuming the pork dog also contained beef, or perhaps chicken or turkey. I’ll ask Q to look that up.

In any case, I ordered the pork, which I prefer when going either the chili, Coney, or Texas Weiner route, or, for that matter, any of the various and controversial permutations in-between.

The dog, probably a skinless, 10-to-a-lb., was OK, nothing special, but proved a suitable saddle for the iconic chili. You know, that cinnamon, cumin, or whatever it is that echoes of “Secret Recipe” in chili dog-serving venues throughout the Hudson Valley, Eastern Pennsylvania, and parts of N.J. Real good. So was the service.

This is still a nice place, despite its location near a bus station populated by folks that suggest how your brother-in-law might turn out if he doesn’t get a job….its hospitableness and Hot Dog Landmark status key reasons for a visit….and yes, the chili. It’d be really great if they served, let’s say, a Thumann’s, or a Hoffman’s, or a Sahlen. But then, so would World Peace.

Prior to that visit, a surprise had awaited at the Nathan’s franchise in the Galleria Mall in Middletown….a really good, perfectly prepared frankfurter….a Nathan’s frankfurter as good as any you’ll get at the original spot in Coney Island….the one in Brooklyn. No sound or smell of the surf, though.

I have long held that Nathan’s is the most lax fast food chain insofar as overseeing their franchisees. I’ve been to several that, well…..just weren’t up to snuff…that could have been cleaner, better managed, and more possessing of the pizzazz and soul that a true hot dog enthusiast is looking for in a purveyor of the wiener.

But, this was different.

The large, corner hot dog stand in the food court was spic ‘n’ span, the help bright eyed and enthusiastic (from my angle, I couldn’t see if they were bushy-tailed), and the dogs on the flat grill were apparently there for just the right amount of time. They were of the natural casing variety. As my friend Sam, a noted private eye, might have said, I didn’t need X-ray vision to see the snap.

I ordered a chili dog. It was quite good, possessing just the right, anticipated explosion of flavor and served good and hot, although the basic, medium dark brown chili, while tasty enough in a rather usual way, was curious in that it was loaded with what I assume was beef….almost as much in weight as a quarter of the dog….which was, I imagine, an 8-to-a-lb. While I don’t quite like that much ground meat in my chili, I guess the value-conscious consumer looking to fill up might not complain too heartily. Things are tough all around.

I had thoughts of making it to Pete’s in Newburgh, N.Y., one of my 5 favorite hot dog emporia in the whole wide world, but it was getting late. I was, after all, on a secret mission of the utmost importance, and I feared I’d arrive at Pete’s after closing. How would it look?

Besides, there was a bakery in Livingston Manor that called out to me earlier in the day as I slingshotted down 17 toward Middletown in the Bearcat.

The Catskills in summer, just a couple hours before it gets dark, have their very own temperature like no other in the land … a special, comfortable coolness that brings a haunting happiness to anyone who has traversed its back roads, and even its highways when they are not filled with vacationers going to and fro. It is a splendid loneliness, especially enjoyed in a roadster….the tall, ultra-green trees darkening a very special way to visually declare the enchantment. You are alone, but with everyone. It’s the only time I allow myself to be transcendental.

I pulled my handbrake up at the bakery. The blueberry streusel tart and  cup of coffee from a specially made, fresh pot of coffee, even though they were closing in half an hour, just about made up for forgoing Pete’s. She also had a nice smile.

“What year Stutz is that, a ‘20 or ‘21?”

“Why, hey, a ’20 … not bad. Great streusel, too.”

“Yeah, ’20, figures, still right hand drive. We’ll have blueberry pie by the slice tomorrow.”

So that’s it for now, friends. Keep your eyes on this space for more hot dog news as the Fates allow it to happen.

The Bear

seafarer john

RE: Hudson Valley Hot Dog Heaven Happening! Fri, 08/3/12 10:04 AM (permalink)
            Bear: Happy to hear that Coney Island in Mid'town is still a great place to go. As I have said previously, I am convinced that  chili sauce was first put on a hot dog to disguise  an inferior dog -  it matters little as long as the dog is edible- it's really all about the sauce (and the mustard, diced onion, and steamed roll).

We have a new hot dog emporium here in New Paltz - opened a few weeks ago on N. Front St. "H.D. Dog" is the name and they offer about 20 toppings -many of them outlandish; like scrambled eggs, and potato salad. I had something with a chili sauce and melted "mild cheddar".
            Strangely they gave me a fork along with the dog - it turned out it was only edible with a fork -it could not be picked up as it was swimming in a pool of what seemed to be cheeze wizz. I will not try that particular dog again, but Gail's dog with mustard and sauerkraut was quite good. 

We also have a hot dog cart operating at the Water Street Market that offers a dog with hot peanut sauce and a vegetarian dog among other interesting choices.
            No one has ever lasted long here in New Paltz selling hot dogs - just not a hot dog town- I hope thee guys make it.

Cheers, John 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com