The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I just had a REALLY good burger...

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
I just had a REALLY good burger... Thu, 04/12/07 3:36 PM (permalink)
I was up in Syracuse over the weekend and met a buddy out for some beers. We went to Jake Hafner's Restaurant and Tavern on W. Taft Rd. He used to live there and Hafner's was an old hangout of his. I was getting hungry and my buddy said the food was pretty good there, although it could be hit and miss some nights. The waitress said there was just a tavern menu available by the time we got there. We started out with some really good wings that were buffalo spicy (medium), but also had a sweetness as though maybe some BBQ sauce had been blended in. Sweet and heat made for a good combo. These babies weren't fried to death though. Nice, moist and meaty.
I also ordered a blackened cajun style burger, medium. I like it pink, but not bloody. It came out perfectly cooked with a spicy mayo and it was very moist with a wicked crust on it, but not charred to death. The bun was fresh, which many times can make or break a good burger. The mayo had a nice kick to it.
The real surprise here was when my buddy said to get the sweet potato fries instead of regaular ones. They were round ridged discs that were slightly thicker than potato chips, had a crispy edge to them, but were soft in the middle. He said to try the dipping sauce, that to my surprise, was maple syrup! It was an inspired deal. Maple and sweet potatoes pair up very nicely and were a perfect foil to the spiciness of the burger. I'm usually not impressed when I go out for burgers, but I would definitely go back for more.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
    RE: I just had a REALLY good burger... Fri, 04/27/07 7:32 PM (permalink)
    BB,
    Were you able to find the restaurant you were looking for?...
    Nice write up for the burgers!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
      RE: I just had a REALLY good burger... Fri, 04/27/07 7:56 PM (permalink)
      Jake Hafner's Restaurant and Tavern on W. Taft Rd. was a favorite place for us to go..............just a few miles from where I lived. The fish on Friday nights is just great. I sure wish that we had a place like this around us now!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
        RE: I just had a REALLY good burger... Mon, 04/30/07 11:15 AM (permalink)
        Hey Roossy,

No, I didn't have a lot of time to eat out. We did a lot of cooking at home. A nice little homemade Dinosaur BBQ feast and some really tasty ham salad sandwiches from the deli at Wegmans. I'll just have to make another trip upstate to see the family.
        quote:
        Originally posted by roossy90

BB,
        Were you able to find the restaurant you were looking for?...
        Nice write up for the burgers!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
          RE: I just had a REALLY good burger... Mon, 04/30/07 11:48 AM (permalink)
          I'm glad you put your write up on your experience at Hafner's. I've posted a few times about that place. I grew up about two, two and a half miles from there. I student taught at North Syracuse Jr. High which is right down Taft Road from Hafner's. We often went to Happy Hour there on Fridays.

At the corner of Taft and Buckley Road, (practically kitty-corner from Jake Hafner's Restaurant) is Hafner's Ice Cream stand which is my favorite place to get soft serve ice cream in the Syracuse area.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com