The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken

JeffN

• Total Posts: 9
Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Thu, 04/12/07 7:03 PM (permalink)
Does anyone remember the Parkmoor Drive-In chain. We had several in Dayton, Ohio, where I grew up.

When the chain shut down, another restaurant ... I think it was called Hail and Hearty ... used the Parkmoor recipe.

Does anyone have that recipe? It's a great taste from my childhood and the best chicken I've ever tasted!

Jim R

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Fri, 10/17/08 8:25 PM (permalink)
    I also remember the Parkmoor Restaurants all over Dayton. I remember several locations in the Dayton area. The one my family frequented the most was on the corner of Stroop Rd and South Dixie. Our family lived in West Carrollton. I also remember the Airway Road location.

If you can recall the "Hail and Hearty" restaurants that existed on Woodman Drive (near the corner of Woodman and E.Dorothy Lane) and on Dayton-Xenia Road in Beavercreek, those restaurants in the late 1980's to early 1990's were owned by a friend I have not seen in a very long time. His name is Phil Neibert. He did acquire the rights to the Parkmoor Chicken recipe from Parkmoor ownership when Parkmoor closed down. Phil used the same recipe for his Hail and Hearty restaurants.

I believe Phil sells insurance now. If you find him let me know. I sure miss the Dixie Fried Chicken. If you look up Phil tell him Hello for me. I believe he still lives in Kettering.

JHugabug

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Fri, 12/5/08 10:07 PM (permalink)
      Hi

I have been trying to get the Parkmoor Fried Chicken recipe for years. I have asked anytime I have gone on a food site about it. I am presently living in Claifornia but I grew up in Dayton and remember Parkmoors fondly. Yes they had the best fried chicken. If any onf you do get the recipe please let me know.
      JHugabug@comcast.net

TavernWenchBlog

• Total Posts: 2
        RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Fri, 12/19/08 2:15 AM (permalink)
        I read recently on another forum that there's a pancake house on Linden that still serves the Parkmoor chicken recipe.  I have no idea where the place is, but here's what I found:

"Yeah. The place is close to Easttown, across the railroad tracks, on the right hand side going towards Smithville Rd. I'm not sure of the name, but it sits back off the road. Like I said, the place is a dive, but the chicken is 100% Parkmoor."

esjones

RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Fri, 05/22/09 3:25 PM (permalink)
          Parkmoor Chicken is available! A local man claims to have the recipe, and is frying once a month at a local restaurant. I'm going in June to see if it's for real......

Details here.

- Earl Jones

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Fri, 05/22/09 8:34 PM (permalink)
            Wow ... Welcome to all the new first time posters who have joined this dialog.

pamelakrest

• Total Posts: 362
              Re:Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Sun, 05/24/09 7:02 AM (permalink)
              Wow, I remember Parkmoor's chicken, it was so crispy and yummy.
              Tavernwench, I think you mean Hasty Tasty or used to be called that on Linden Ave.
              Now that I am old, my memory is hazy hahaha
              Jim R, welcome to Roadfood, I grew up in West Carrollton, live in Dayton now days.
              I can remember when Moraine was called Miami shores  lol No diss intended, just giggles
              of ancient memories.
              Pam

DaveB1958

Re:Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Thu, 08/13/09 2:05 PM (permalink)
                Frickers in Huber Heights now serves the original Parkmoors Dixie Fried Chicken on the second Thursday each month.

qhcman

Re:Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Fri, 10/2/09 5:04 PM (permalink)
                  Yes we are doing Parkmoor chicken at the Fricker's in huber. But it is every MONDAY NIGHT starting at 4 pm. That's every MONDAY NIGHT at 4 pm.  If you have any questions please email me at jcarter16@woh.rr.com and I will assist you anyway I can. COME ONE! COME ALL!! and come often. Now every MONDAY NIGHT starting at 4 pm.

• Total Posts: 335
                    RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Sat, 10/3/09 3:05 PM (permalink)
                    TavernWenchBlog

I read recently on another forum that there's a pancake house on Linden that still serves the Parkmoor chicken recipe.  I have no idea where the place is, but here's what I found:

"Yeah. The place is close to Easttown, across the railroad tracks, on the right hand side going towards Smithville Rd. I'm not sure of the name, but it sits back off the road. Like I said, the place is a dive, but the chicken is 100% Parkmoor."

I went there today to see what the big deal is about Parkmoor, the name of the "pancake house" is Bunny's Hasty Tasty Pancake House at 3509 Linden Avenue, right next to the Linden Gas N Go (a Marathon dealer).  Yes, they still use the recipe for Parkmoor chicken.  It was pretty good.

Denny in Dayton

• Total Posts: 4
                      RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Mon, 11/23/09 9:48 AM (permalink)
                      I recently made contact with a guy who's father was the commercial photographer for Parkmoor.  He has tons negatives.  I also located and contacted the daughter of the owner.  She also has a large collection of Parkmoor items.  Her father started the local chain and at one time had as many as 16 units, some of the buildings are still there.

If you want to see some old Parkmoor items Wright State University Archives located on the fourth floor of the main Dunbar library has a small file with about a dozen photos, newspaper clips and some company newsletters.  You just go in and ask to view it (catalog # SC-156) and they bring it out to you.  I'm trying to get the two people mentioned above to donate their items to this archive as well.

The history are far as I can tell is the chain was franchised from a St. Louis chain in 1947.  The founder just out of the Army, I would guess, ate at the St. Louis one and probably wanted the chicken recipe.  The first Dayton location was a converted root beer stand at 2801 Linden Ave (building still stands is now a podiatrists office).  The chain grew to as many as 16, and it would appear eclipsed it's St. Louis origins (also now out of business).  By the sixties competition from the newer fast foods like Burger Chef and McDonalds as well as larger chains like BigBoy caused business to slide, the last Parkmoor at Airway Rd closed in the early 80's.

It's easy to see how the "Hasty Tasty" pancake house would have the chicken, it was started by a former Parkmoor business partner and is only a couple blocks from the original Parkmoor.  The daughter has the original chicken recipe and would like to verify others claims.

I have a list of at least 10 of the locations plus the offices.  These buildings still exist, if you look carefully you can recognize the traditional architechure of the Parkmoor sometime buried under renovations.
                      3591 Salem Ave  (currently a restaurant)
                      3981 S. Dixie  (front modified, was a steak house)
                      2801 Linden Ave (podiatrist office near the "U-Save" store)
                      1025 Shroyer Rd (currently "Carmel's" restaurant)
                      1300 Stanley (corporate office/commissary)

No longer with us:
                      4876 Airway (new Burger King on location)
                      3030 Woodman (Taco Bell building)
                      4328 N. Main ( just gone)
                      300 Salem (gone)
                      803 Waterviliet (Walgreens)
                      508 Kauffman (Fairborn, now a carwash an abandoned pyramid shaped concrete light post mount from the Parkmoor still is there.)

Anyone remember any others?  I'm missing a few.
                      Parkmoor photos here:
                      http://public.fotki.com/R...o/parkmoor-restaurant/

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                        RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Mon, 11/23/09 10:12 AM (permalink)
                        Wow, Denny in Dayton, that's a lot of really good info!

Those pictures are fantastic. Look at this awesome counter:

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Mon, 11/23/09 10:44 AM (permalink)
                          what is going on here ???

slammin

• Total Posts: 104
                            RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Mon, 11/23/09 9:04 PM (permalink)
                            Thanks for the link! Those photos remind of my carefree youth.  I grew up in Kettering and ate at the Parkmore on Shroyer often.

andyh40

• Total Posts: 39
                              RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Tue, 11/24/09 9:19 AM (permalink)
                              That was great! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I wish other pictures were available of some of these wonderful old restaurants!

Denny in Dayton

RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Fri, 12/4/09 10:45 PM (permalink)
                                Glad to share it.  I have negatives on loan that show the inside of the restaurant 1957 with a waitress at the consul where orders are taken from the drive ups.   How rare is that?  The guy lent me some negatives but they are in a 3x5 format.  I have ordered an Epson V700 scanner to scan them (it's ranked as the best "cheap" scanner that will do the job (about $700) others are near $2000) so when I get it there will be more to share.

Denny in Dayton

RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Mon, 01/4/10 2:36 PM (permalink)
                                  Knock yourselves out!  NEW PARKMOOR photos have now been posted!

More to come as soon as I get them scanned for the owner.

http://public.fotki.com/Rollie08/

Look under the Rollyn Puterbaugh Sr Collection

Did you know: the ordering system used for curb service was called the "Teletray" system?  There's a great shot of it, and coming up an even better one!  Most of the new images are of the Salem Ave building near Grand Ave.

andyh40

• Total Posts: 39
                                    RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Thu, 01/7/10 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                    Those pitures are just priceless! Thanks so much Denny for posting them! I was born and raised in Springfield, so I remember Parmoor very well. As I recall, they also had some of the best produced TV commercials also. I don't know who produced them, but they ran on WHIO Channel 7 and WDTN Channel 2 frequently.

Soccer862923

• Total Posts: 208
                                      RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Thu, 01/7/10 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                      TavernWenchBlog

You are referring to the Hasty Tasty Pancake House. Very good pancakes, but I have never tried their fried chicken and now I really want to. The Cinnamon pancakes are probably the best pancakes I have ever had.

Mikebanks

RE: Parkmoor Dixie Fried Chicken Wed, 01/19/11 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                        We had a Parkmoor in Milford, across from the Milford Shopping Center, at Lila and Cemetery (two blocks east of Frish's).  A McDonald's stands there now.
                                        Jingle from radio commercial:
                                        Parkmoor's got what
                                        no one else has got!
                                        Parkmoor's got Dixie
                                        Fried chicken--that's what!

--Mike

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com