The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx

Trvler30

• Total Posts: 6
Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Sun, 04/15/07 6:20 PM (permalink)
Can anyone tell me of some good places to eat? Not texmex please.. Homemade tortillas would be a plus. Thank you

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
    RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Mon, 04/16/07 1:38 AM (permalink)

Used to spend some time down on South Padre...maaaany years ago. We just would hit the street vendors.

Hopefully someone has been there recently and can give up to date advice, I'd be interested as well. Would like to get back down there one day soon.

Trvler30

RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Mon, 04/16/07 1:58 AM (permalink)
      We are leaving this week.. We will start out staying in San Antonio and then on to Brownsville, San Benito, Harlingen and S Padre.. It has been almost 30 years since I have been there.. We use to go to Matamoras all the time.. Usually the whole in the wall restaurants were the best mexican around.. I sure hope someone can help us out. Thanks for replying.

Sundancer7

RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Mon, 04/16/07 7:09 AM (permalink)
        I just returned from Brownsville a couple of weeks ago. I did not have any Mexican food there but I cannot help but believe it has to be everywhere. I was downtown Brownsville and I was the only Caucasian there. My real estate agent indicated that she always traveled across the border to Matamoras as the food there was even better. Crossing the border is no big deal as it is only a few hundred feet across. I did not have my passport and I did not cross. I think the law requires all citizens to have a passport to travel freely between the two countries.

The population of Brownsville is huge and I understand that the population of Matamoras is even larger. Perhaps a million?

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Mon, 04/16/07 8:18 AM (permalink)
          Paul, no passport required yet unless you are flying. You can still walk or drive without 1. That will be changing in about a year.

MikeS.

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
            RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Tue, 04/17/07 11:06 PM (permalink)
            Sundancer: you've never tried Mexican chorizo? wow. It's very tasty but SOOOO fattening!! I recently gave it up because I'm trying to lose a few pounds that I've gained the past year.

Oh and Trvler30, we've obviously gotten off the subject but I'd suggest you go across the border too. If a restaurant is in texas and it says Mexican restaurant, you know it's going to be TexMex.

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
              RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Wed, 04/18/07 9:21 PM (permalink)
              Sundancer: forgive me. i have no idea why I wrote that first sentence. I think it was supposed to have gone in the hot dogs topic.
              sorry. ya'll must've thought I was a looney!

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Wed, 04/18/07 9:34 PM (permalink)
                What's authentic mexican food ............... ???

Trvler30

RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Thu, 04/19/07 1:05 AM (permalink)
                  Hi. we have made it through San Antonio. We found a good mexican restaurant that we have been back to 3 times. They make homemade thick corn and flour tortillas. It is called La Vina and they have 2 locations. One is on WW White and the other Roosevelt.

We are now in Brownsville. The passport changes do not take effect until January 2008 we found out.We will report back with our food findings each time we try something new

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
                    RE: Authentic mexican food in Brownsville tx Thu, 04/19/07 1:12 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by sizz

What's authentic mexican food ............... ???

You will find it in the Yucatan!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com