The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Goldsborscht's Trip

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 12:28 AM (permalink)
I don't know if this is appropriate, and the Moderators can certainly delete this thread if it's not, but I would LOVE to hear the details of GB's recent trip. So, I'm opening a thread for discussion.

And, let me take this opportunity to suggest another forum for trip postings, although I know others have already suggested the same.

goldsborscht

• Total Posts: 128
    RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 12:39 AM (permalink)
    I really don't know if you want to hear about trying to find a bathroom in KC on a Sunday afternoon after eating a whole slab of ribs and a pound of brisket washed down with an extra large lemonade at Arthur Bryant's. Note: I'm 150 lbs.

Bushie

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 12:54 AM (permalink)
      When I weighed about 160 pounds in college, I ate a similar meal and found a sink in the janitor's room on one of the high floors in the Crown Plaza Hotel.

However, you're right, I'm not that interested in normal body functions.

I would, though, like to hear about your dining experiences in Texas, and whatever else you care to share.

However, as I indicated above, I don't want to intrude, so this whole thing can be removed if you don't want to talk about it.

I was just really interested since you spoke about your trip before you left.

goldsborscht

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 2:16 AM (permalink)
        Well, 30 days of gluttony. I was on Atkins a year before the trip. So I had plenty of cravings. I'll go state by state with notables in parentheses. Pennsylvania-- Philly: Pat's (black cherry soda). Akron: Akron Restaurant (scrapple, chow chow. Waitress Lindsay who was celebrating her 21st birthday thought it was hilarious that I was ordering all the Lancaster fare. Asked if I wanted shoofly pie but I had one in the car from a farmer's market.) West Virginia-- Charleston: Southern Kitchen (apple dumplings; vanilla ice cream congealing with the soft gooey center). Kentucky-- London: Waffle House (I'd rather eat my nails); Corbin: Sanders Cafe (the 1st KFC. Not surprisingly, the same like all the others, with the exception of a big Colonel Sanders statue parked on a bench. Purchased a great button: "I ate where it all began."). Tennessee-- Nashville: Loveless (breakfast buffet; the best biscuits I've ever had, but that's not saying much; great atmosphere); Memphis: Corky's (Rendezvous wasn't open; I wish I could bottle the smell. However, the dry rub seemed to have too much MSG and I later felt like a balloon. Better ribs at Corky's, better atmosphere at Rendezvous.) Arkansas-- Hot Springs: McClard's and whatever the other one is was closed. Settled for fried pickles at this place that specialized in them (Fantastic. Crispy with perfect coating on the outside, dill and juicy on the inside). Texas-- Texarkana: Bryce's (fried chicken: very good. Great? I don't know. Love the place, though. Who doesn't love a cafeteria?). Ft. Worth: Angelo's (brisket: thought it was good at the time, but a joke compared to Lockhart. Great fried pie, though. I believe the brand was Betty Lu's out of Ft.Worth. The softest white bread I ever had. Don't recall the brand. Great ambience,lively with wacked out paraphernalia). Waco: Starbuck's (much needed coffee) Dr. Pepper Museum (Dr. Pepper from a soda jerk. When in Waco...) Taylor: Mueller's (best brisket so far. My intro to real Texas bbq. Had a pound. Went for another.) Austin: Threadgill's (the start of my love affair with CFS. Crispy beautiful coating under rich creamy white gravy; the only drawback was that I was still full from Taylor). LOCKHART: BBQ capital of the world, Baby! Did the holy triumverate. Kreuz (great barn, great painting of the owner, great staff, great smokers, but above all, the best meat on this earth. I know there's a lot of debate about this but come on. Taken as a whole, my asked-for last meal, without question. Ate a lb. of brisket and a sausage. Beautiful spicy sausage but became dessert.) Black's (good brisket, but so-so ambience. Could be anywhere. Ate a half a lb. of brisket.). Smitty's (great place. You can see the smoke crusted on the walls. Good brisket. But only room for 1/2 lb. Thought I saw Ben Johnson eating ice cream there.). San Antonio: Acapulco (outdoor seating away from the horrific Riverwalk. Decent nachos and papusas. Great atmosphere). Kerrville: Hill Country Cafe (house omelet. Amazing. Johnny Cash on the radio. As close to my Texas fantasy as possible.). Abilene: Joe Allen's BBQ (best steak I ever had. BBQ'd T-bone with an aromatic smoky crust and a smoked juicy midsection. I sucked the marrow from the bone, and even that was filled with smoke.). El Paso: Julio's Cafe(flautas. Suppsedly. Really were oversized tacquitos. Flautas are made with flour tortillas not corn. Good, but had better in L.A. Ate them in the Diablos parking lot because they wouldn't let me bring them into the game.). Geez, that's only about 10 days into the trip and I excluded a lot. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow. I have some kick ass pictures of these places, its food, and its people (the aforementioned Lindsay, the smokers at Smitty's and Kreuz, etc.). But unfortunately I don't know how to post them.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 5:32 AM (permalink)
          GB: Sounds like a great trip!

Texicana

• Total Posts: 185
            RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 8:55 AM (permalink)
            Glad to see you found some good grub in Texas!

Bushie

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 8:59 AM (permalink)
              Excellent, GB! Please continue when you can!

To post pictures, you need to start in "Reply to Topic" instead of "Quick Reply". You also need to already have your pictures copied to a website on the Internet (your ISP may allow you to have some free personal webspace; that's what I do). There's a button in "Reply..." that will insert the text to identify a picture, and then you need to copy the URL of the picture (that is on your webspace) between the bracketed text.

Clear as mud, huh?

Email me if you'd like further details.

Thanks for the trip report so far.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 10:41 AM (permalink)
                all the barbeque talk has made me hungry, and I can almost smell the smoke!

Hope you had a good time, wish you could have visited my personal favorite, The City Market in Luling!

goldsborscht

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 1:49 PM (permalink)
                  I'm still in shock. Let me backpedal. Forgot 2 important places in Arkansas. Craig's in Devalls Bluff. Appealing because it's in the middle of nowhere, a trucker went out of his way for it, unique bbq sauce (cinnamony), black owned, easily eaten while driving. a shack. The Pig Pit in Arkapelphia. Very meaty and tasty chopped pork sandwich served dry. Nice way to hold me over until Texas. O.K. Leaving Texas (unfortunately). New Mexico-- Las Cruces/Mesilla (Old Mesilla Bakery and Cafe. Delicious migas and strong coffee get me going on my way to White Sands. Incredibly nice staff and customer. One customer gave me directions and proceeded to tell me all the wonderful things New Mexico had in store foe me. Would re-locate to Las Cruces in a heartbeat.). Taos: Didn't eat there but McDonald's sign had Taos written under the golden arches (McWeird). Albuqurque: M&J (Great sopapillas. Had 2 orders. Mon. morning so service was terrible. Adovado was good but shout not be eaten that early. Learned my l;easson about eating Mexican food while going on extended drives.). Farmington: Furr's Cafeteria (I know it's a chain but they had very good CFS. Also had pretty good frybread. A nice stop after not eating all day. The staff got pissed I was taking pictures: "You can't take pictures of the desserts." OK.). Arizona-- Tucson: Jack's BBQ (this is no Lockhart, but a fun place. Good sloppy joe's, cardboard brisket, jokey fried Twinkies fancied up with a slice of vanilla ice scream and chocolate swirls). Cali.-- San Diego: El Indio (what San Diego should taste like. A fantastic regional find. The fish tacos are absolutely amazing. Big pieces of fish perfectly fried, chewy corn tortillas, fresh tasting salsa. One thing I wish I could bring back with me. A very special place.). Nevada-- Las Vegas: In 'n Out (good double double, as usual. But John 3:16 on the wrapper is very off-putting.). Utah-- Salina: Mom's Cafe (breakfast of CFS and eggs. Absolutely delicious. The real standout were the scones. These aren't the hard English bricks. These are more like a sweet frybread or sopapilla. Had one order there and one for the road. Any Roadfooder would love this place. Waitresses like Flo and Alice. Uniforms clean and colorful. Coffee aplenty. Old brick building left unchanged yet immaculate. Worth going out of the way for.). Colorado-- Denver: La Fogata (a place way past its prime. I'd estimate they haven't served a great plate since '83. Terribly disappointing considering I held out since Grand Juction. A LA chain does a better job woth combo plates. Why would anyone make wheat sopapilla? Sad. La Fogettaboutit.). Wyoming-- Cheyenne, the worst food city there is. So Disappointing. You'd think Cheyenne would have some bbq or country cooking. Nothing but chains. The place in Roadfood, Hickory House, has been closed down for 5 years and is now a frame shop. Someone needs to update that book. I searched for this non-existant place for 2 hours. Missed an hour of the rodeo because of it. Had to settle for Arby's. But that night I got to see Willie Freakin' Nelson. More than made up for Cheyenne's lack of culinary delights. Nebraska-- Sidney: Country Kettle (where the locals eat. Had CFS and eggs. Best CFS I ever had. Probably the proximity to the farms. Ran out of biscuits so waitress replaced it with pancakes. Never had pancakes like this. Spongy, fluffy, and huge. Wanted to taske a nap in them. No denying this place's authenticity.). Omaha: Johnny's Cafe (great experience. Old steakhouse. Still lively. Wierd murals. Friendly staff. OK steaks. Abilene was better.). Missouri-- KC: Arthur Bryant's (the best ribs I ever had. Would eat them every night if I could. Also best bbq sauce. My shirt smelled like smoke afterwards. Didn't mind one bit. The place was packed without any let up. Brisket was a disappointment. Carved by machine. Tasted like shoe sole. No comparison to Lockhart. But oh those ribs. RFers out there, make the pilgrimmage.). St. Louis: Parkmoor closed down. It seems like a once great Roadfood destination has been overtaken by chain's. The STL was a huge disappointment. Illinois-- Effingham: Neimerg's (another great breakfast in a farming community. CFS and eggs. One of the best. Place was packed after church service. This huge cross was on the side of the road. Obviously, very religious town. Breakfast seems part of that religion.). Indiana- Indianapolis: Dodd's (waht an atmosphere. An actual house. Fantastic fried chicken. The only drawback is being surrounded by country clubbers. But a real gem of a place.) Ohio-- Columbus and Dayton are rough towns. I live in Brooklyn, but Columbus and Dayton seemed rougher. Couldn't find anything to eat.). Claveland: Labelled A Southern Kitchen place (had a "Polish boy." Polish sausage in a hot dog bun with bbq sauce a, cole slaw, and fries, tucked into the bun. Not bad.). Hubbard: The Emerald Diner (a real find. The whole diner was brought from New England. Beautiful upkeep. Only the upholstery has been changed. Great bugers and real mashed potatoes.). Pennsylvania-- Pittsburgh: Bucket of wings at a Pirates game (Best food at a stadium I've had.) Outside Lancaster: Good 'n Plenty (a tourist trap for people who believe in the wholesomeness of the Amish. Good fried chicken and shoofly pie. Long rows of tables fit for about 4 families. But had to sit by a bitter Red Sox fan who was about to rip my head off. All I could think was "1918.") Philly: Pat's (1 am. Had to complete the circle. One for the road. Friggin' love that place.) Back in NYC. The Magical Mystery tour continues. Went to Katz's the other day. Ready to go to Manganaro's. Was going to go to Bamonte's but they sneered at my shorts and Texas hat. All in all, A hell of a trip. Wish I could do it again this second. Thinking about flying into Nawlins, renting a car and doing Bama, Georgia, Florida, and The Carolinas. We'll see. Can't get enough. See America before it all becomes St. Louis.

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 1:58 PM (permalink)
                    Wow, Gb, I'm out of breath just from reading about your trip. Sounded great. I love that you had to start and end your trip with stops at Pat's in South Philly. Just wait 'til I get Bushie to Philly-he'll understand why you went there on your trip.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                      RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 2:13 PM (permalink)
                      GB,

Great travelouge, I mean eatalouge. I guess I missed the thread leading up to this trip. Was there a purpose other than to eat?? If not, more power to you.

Bushie

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 2:36 PM (permalink)
                        Fantastic! I think I may become a teacher now so I can spend my summers traveling! Thanks for all the details, GB.

Especially thanks for the tip about Craig's in De Valls. I've driven through there, but didn't know about Craig's. I'll go there next time I'm in Little Rock.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7381
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 2:49 PM (permalink)
                          Wow! Did you check your cholesterol when you returned to Brooklyn?

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                            RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 4:33 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Bushie
                            Especially thanks for the tip about Craig's in De Valls. I've driven through there, but didn't know about Craig's. I'll go there next time I'm in Little Rock.

Craig's is good, but go easy with that sauce (I actually liked it better without the sauce). And don't forget to see if the Family Pie Shop is open (just across the street)...

Bushie

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 4:38 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by pogophiles

quote:
                              Originally posted by Bushie

Craig's is good, but go easy with that sauce (I actually liked it better without the sauce). And don't forget to see if the Family Pie Shop is open (just across the street)...

Will do! Thanks!

goldsborscht

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 5:52 PM (permalink)
                                Signman, My reason for going on this journey was to eat, watch some baseball, check out some rodeo, shop at thrift stores, read local newspapers, take pictures with my ancient point-and-shoot, and that's pretty much it. I'd rather drive around in the middle of nowhere than take a planned vacation. North Platte sounds better to me than the South of France. I did go to some museums, but only if they were Western in theme, and/or served Dr. Pepper. I went to Cheyenne Frontier Days. But that was random. Rodeo and Willie, who could ask for more? I went to a couple parks-- Arches, Monument Valley, Bryce. But there was no set destination. The pilgrimmage was going to end at the Mall of America, but Willie made me strapped for time, so I had to take a straight line home, with a dip into KC.

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                  Gb: Like Willie sings, "on the road again"...that's what's great about this country and the freedom to travel if you have the time. Great review of your trip. I loved it.

Bushie

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Wed, 08/6/03 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Gb: Like Willie sings, "on the road again"...that's what's great about this country and the freedom to travel if you have the time. Great review of your trip. I loved it.

Amen. "Just can't wait to get on the road again..."

And ditto, I loved GB's trip report. That's the perfect way to travel.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                                      RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Thu, 08/7/03 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Bushie, about a month ago when last stopped at The Pie Shop in DeVall's Bluff (across highway from Craig's) it was closed for retail sales (still made them there) but you bought the pies (either slices or whole) at Craig's. Not sure but think this is a permanent thing. I got a chocolate pie and a coconut pie to take with me to an event. To me The Pie Shop pies are good, but I have had better in central Ark. (Ma Jones in Pine Bluff, Ed & Kay's, with which you are familiar, The Bakery in The Village at Star City). Am surprised you have never eaten at Craig's in DeVall's Bluff. As I've said elsewhere, I think it is very good good but not the best barbecue in the state. It is certainly worth a visit, though, for what it is; an absolute shack. Everyone should go there at least once just for its unique environment. I find its barbecued pork unusual. too. To me. its more like a slice of barbecued ham than traditional pork barbecue. Though I probably eat there every few months, I didn't stop there on way home from Little Rock yesterday as had only a bit earlier pigged out in NLR, but thought how popular it was when passed - as evidenced by there being 10 cars in the parking lot at 3:15 PM. Hope you get to try it.

I like McClard's in Hot Springs, too, goldsborcht, despite its crowds (and some's complaints of its being too touristy, but most things in Hot Springs are touristy or they wouldn't survive), and I go mainly for the food. Guess my favorite barbecue in the state now, tho, is Whole Hog Cafe on Cantrell in Little Rock (my favorites are its barbecued pork and smoked pork loin). I'm not familiar with Pig PIt in Arkadelphia. Will have to remember that for next time I get down that way, which is infrequently. Surely sorry you found St. Louis to be such a dismal food wasteland, for I've had some of my most enjoyable eating experiences ever in St. Louis and environs (with Cunetto's there being about my world's favorite restaurant). Hope if you are ever back you come out better. Surely enjoyed your entire travelogue/eatalogue. Sounds as though you had a wonderful trip/experience.

Bushie

RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Thu, 08/7/03 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                        Thanks, Liketoeat. I guess I missed your former post about Craig's. I figured you'd been there, though.

Next time I'm in Little Rock, I want to make it down to The Village, anyway, so I'll swing through De Valls. Maybe we can hook up. Would love to meet you. (BTW, I printed out your writeup on The Village and left it with my aunt. She didn't know about it either, but now wants to visit.)

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Goldsborscht's Trip Thu, 08/7/03 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                          As one who has done the multi-week Summer trips while 'out of school', I have to agree that the work schedule for educators was one of the real benefits of the job. It is amazing to me how a little quirk in techology made it all the better...I speak of the magic invention--Electronic Banking-- Before electronic deposit and bill pay etc etc I would have had the complexity of being sure that July and/or August check was deposited and arrangements were made to pay the monthly bills. With the coming of the computer, it is now beyond easy to cover all costs while on the road !!
                                          Our calendar was even better..We worked a year-round schedule, with my 'track' having a summer break for May-June and then a Fall break from Mid-October to New Years. It was the best of all possible combinations. Fall was cool and less crowded at most destinations, and MAY-JUNE was ideal for travel too.
                                          We used Louisville as the end of the road eastbound, but would go anywhere we wanted for weeks on the way or returning to SoCal. The longest was 18,000 miles--8 weeks, and included the Rio-Grande Valley, Gulf Coast,then up the Mississippi River to Louisville and a family visit... East then to Chesapeake Bay, Lancaster PA, NJ and NYC, Rt 1 into Maine, Montreal, The Adirondacks,Niagara, Michigan, The Czech towns in Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas, MT Rushmore, Then a zigzag across the Canadian US border thru Glacier NP to Victoria B C . Down to the Columbia River and family in Portland, then Lewis and Clark trail back to Montana. Then South thru the Tetons/Jackson Hole, Flaming Gorge WY, Grand Junc. CO, Ouray and Durango before heading West thru the Navajo country and the Dixie Utah Nat'l Parks
                                          Stern's Books were always checked when we entered a state..to see if a recommended stop was within a reasonable distance from whereever we thought we were headed.
                                          We've done Craigs BBQ several times, but wouldn't rate it at the top of the list. We tended to like it better 'Eastbound' than when we headed west out of Memphis the day before the stop in DeVall's Bluff.
                                          I have noticed that , BTW, if we have enjoyed BBQ or Seafood etc etc at a couple of places, by the time we get to the third day's stop, we are a bit burned out on the menu, and get rather 'picky' about the taste/quality. I don't know how Jane and Michael do it day after day. If I have been without BBQ for a couple of weeks, the first taste I get tends to be rated higher than what the product probably deserves....and the same is true at the other end of the spectrum..If I have BBQ daily for a week then stop at Arthur Bryants on the 8th day...I won't enjoy it as much as if it had been the first stop. (Hence my eastbound/westbound comment about Craigs.)
                                          These days we tend to take shorter trips most of the time. The 4 days around Northern Missouri last week is a good example. We are planning to visit Paul and then head down to Savannah early this Fall. If the group decides to do a meeting/trip in the Mississippi Valley as was mentioned a while back, We will be planning to join the fun next Spring.
                                          Keep those travel digests coming. I enjoy reading of the interests that you guys have in this sort of thing. It always suprises me that many of us think a lot alike on many of the topics on this board...(I thought I was the only crazy one !!!)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com