Virginia Beach area

Author
cameragrl1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2007/04/28 00:49:38 (permalink)

Virginia Beach area

We are going to Virginia Beach in June for a week. We have been there a few times before and love the area. We usually go to the Pocohantas for breakfast, but I have an urge to try someplace new for at least one of the mornings. I heard good things about the Beach Pub on Laskin. Has anyone been there for breakfast? Any other good breakfast spots would be welcomed.
We'd also like to try a few new places for dinner. We usually go to Ocean Eddies on the pier. We've also liked Blue Pete's, The Smokehouse and Cooler, and The Guadalahara. Any favorites, we'd love to hear about them.
Thanks for the input.
April

25 Replies Related Threads

Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/28 02:44:42 (permalink)
    The Beach Pub is one of my favs for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Haven't been there for a few months but their crab stuffed blackened flounder was very good! My favorite seafood place is the Lynnhaven Fishhouse on Shore Drive. They have the best she-crab soup (comes w/a side of sherry to adjust your bowl!) I've ever had and I'm always on the search for one to beat it. Also, their Lynhaven Scallops dish is to die for. Kind of pricey but it consistently wins the Best of Tidewater award for seafood. Jewish Mother for deli fare rates high and it's in VA Beach on Pacific Ave and Laskin (I believe). Hope that helps! Barney
    cameragrl1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/28 21:28:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Barney. It does help. I can't wait to try both Lynnhaven Fishhouse and Beach Pub. I remember the Mother. I visited there before and had a pastrami sandwich. YUMMY!
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/29 05:10:10 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    cameragrl1, try this site. It has menus and websites of Virginia Beach dining. http://ns1.vgnet.com/vb/dining.php
    I liked the Purple Cow for lunch.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    hep2thejive
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/29 09:08:44 (permalink)
    Terrapin is great but expensive. It's located at 3102 Holly Road. It's definitely not Roadfood.
    http://www.terrapinvirginiabeach.com

Charlie's Place for she-crab soup and steamed seafood (that's about all I get there).

There is a somewhat new breakfast place on Shore Drive near Guadalahara.

Also, if you are up for driving to Norfolk, Bobby Huber opened (or maybe the word is re-opened) "Bobbywood." My parents have been there and they enjoyed it.
    http://www.eatbobbywood.com

Also, the No Frill's Grill on Laskin - it's not far from the Oceanfront and it is occupying what was briefly the "Red Mullet."
    http://www.nofrillgrill.com
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/29 11:28:23 (permalink)
    Catch 21 in the Hilton around 23rd St is very very good. The view is fantastic and the seafood is wonderful.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/29 18:27:47 (permalink)
    Ah..Blue Pete's. Haven't been there in may years but it was good seafood backin the day.

If you are heading to the sandbridge/pungo area try these - just keep in mind that it's been years (probably 10) since I've been in that area but apart from blue pete's, these were my favorites:

1) In sandbridge try the crabcakes at The Baja. unless doug sold the place, these may be the best crabcakes in virginia.

2) Seacrest - seafood with a greek flare. this place was great. the original owner sold to someof the employees i believe. everything from the clam chowder to the seafood platter was fabulous. this is in a very small shopping strip so don't miss it. If it's half what it use to be it's still better then half the seafood places out there.

Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/29 21:05:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cameragrl1

We'd also like to try a few new places for dinner. We usually go to Ocean Eddies on the pier.
    April

It does this old trooper's heart good to hear that Ocean Eddie's is still there. Many is the afternoon/evening/night I soaked up beer and peeled shrimp there.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 09:45:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Top

quote:

We'd also like to try a few new places for dinner. We usually go to Ocean Eddies on the pier.
    April

It does this old trooper's heart good to hear that Ocean Eddie's is still there. Many is the afternoon/evening/night I soaked up beer and peeled shrimp there.

BOY do I have fond memories of Ocean Eddie's. It was my wife's first "seafood joint" when we first went to VaBeach.

We vacationed there for two years and loved that place.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 10:40:44 (permalink)
    quote:

We are going to Virginia Beach in June for a week...Any other good breakfast spots would be welcomed...We'd also like to try a few new places for dinner.

There's always...

..[url='http://www.doumars.com/']Doumar's[/url] en route to Virginia Beach (1919 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, Virginia 23517 757 / 627-4163) -- a place that's been well profiled both [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=625']here[/url] and [url='http://www.hollyeats.com/Doumars.htm']here[/url]. The place is a great as always. In fact 103 years great as it opened in 1904 and is the Smithsonian-verified inventor ([url='http://www.doumars.com/gallery.html']Abe Doumar[/url]) of THE ice cream cone.

Great BLTs, grilled cheese sandwiches, tuna salad sandwiches, hamburgers, fries, some shakes and, quite frankly, the best darn limeades on the planet (a title formerly held by Richmond, Virginia's still wonderful Croaker Spot restaurant in that city's Jackson Ward section).

However, best of all was the ice cream served in still, to-this-day, homemade cones so delicious that that they're actually sold separately (and in paper towel-line, former pickle jars).

In Virginia Beach, meanwhile (and as previously highlighted [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3997']here[/url]), great road food finds can be found at [url='http://home.hamptonroads.com/dining/Detail.cfm?id=213']Chick's Oyster Bar[/url] (my absolutely favorite restaurant in Virginia Beach), [url='http://www.lynnhavenfishhouse.net/']Lynnhaven Fish House[/url], the [url='http://www.frommers.com/destinations/virginiabeach/3080010028.html']Belvedere (Hotel) Coffee Shop[/url] (profiled last year in [url='http://www.virginialiving.com/']Virginia Living[/url] magazine and the, originally noted, touristy-but-good [url='http://www.pocahontaspancakes.com/home.htm']Pocahontas Pancakes & Waffle Shop[/url].

FYI.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 11:01:48 (permalink)
    I-95: Nice post and I will try the next time I am in VB. I will be there in a couple of weeks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 11:16:34 (permalink)
    Oh and BTW, Paul, it's "Catch 31" restaurant on 31st Street and Atlantic Avenue (versus "Catch 21" on "23rd Street" as you posted above) and yes, it's on the ground floor of tne new Hilton Hotel adjacent to Virginia Beach's Neptune's Park. It is, without question, the nicest (and most upscale) hotel in the entire city.

(It's also a five-block walk to the previously referenced Belvedere Coffee Shop [for breakfast] in the uh, "less-than-upscale" Belvedere Hotel at Atlantic and 36th Streets. FYI.)
    BeachFc
    Junior Burger
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 11:24:34 (permalink)
    Born and raised at the North End of the Virginia Beach ocean front, I felt it the perfect time to register and offer up some words of experience.
    Breakfast - you're best option is Doc Taylor's on 23rd street. Next door to Tautog's Seafood Restaurant. Both places are local favorites year round, so expect a wait.
    Another option off of Shore Drive, as hep2thejive intimated, is Citrus, which is great for breakfast.
    Aside from Catch 31, Mahi-Mah's, EATS! An American Bistro, and Il Giardino's, I would do your best to eat off the "strip," which lines the ocean front.
    I could keep on going...
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 11:57:39 (permalink)
    forgot... isle of capri. one of my favorite italian restaurants.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 12:24:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BeachFc

Born and raised at the North End of the Virginia Beach ocean front, I felt it the perfect time to register and offer up some words of experience.
    Breakfast - you're best option is Doc Taylor's on 23rd street. Next door to Tautog's Seafood Restaurant. Both places are local favorites year round, so expect a wait.
    Another option off of Shore Drive, as hep2thejive intimated, is Citrus, which is great for breakfast.
    Aside from Catch 31, Mahi-Mah's, EATS! An American Bistro, and Il Giardino's, I would do your best to eat off the "strip," which lines the ocean front.
    I could keep on going...

I think I know who this is???

If I am correct, please advise.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    BeachFc
    Junior Burger
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 13:39:24 (permalink)
    Paul (Sundancer)-
    I don't believe we have met; I'm new to this site.
    Mags81
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 13:57:22 (permalink)
    I also recommend the Beach Pub for breakfast - I live right by it and just recently discovered their "Crab Omelet"...this thing is LOADED with crabmeat - it's very good, you definitely shouldn't miss it.

For Mexican food, Guadalajara is my favorite as well - I usually go to the Shore Drive location but others are good too.

For BBQ, go to Malbon Bros - it's definitely a locals place. You'll find the original location in a citgo gas station down general booth blvd. - just passed Jake's Smokehouse if you know where that is. Don't go to the one on Atlantic Ave at the beach - it's a tourist trap. Check it out online at www.malbonbrothersbbq.com

For Seafood, I like Capt Georges Buffet on Laskin Rd about 3 miles or so from the oceanfront, just before you get to the I264 interchange.

For Sandwiches/Wings - especially wings, go to Buffalo Beach located in the shopping center right behind the Outback Steakhouse and Sonic on Laskin Rd. - it's actuallly located right next to the Guadalajara hilltop location - They've got some of the best wings I've ever had - I recommend the Maryland Crab or the Volcano - they were so hot, they made me cry and I'm not even kiddin'! Check it out online at www.buffalobeachbros.com

Hope this helps!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 14:12:10 (permalink)
    quote:

Paul (Sundancer)-
    I don't believe we have met; I'm new to this site.

You are probably correct. I recently had contact with Chris Zarpas who resided on the north side of VB and was a roadfooder. He was also a ocean front resident.

Sorry for the missed ID

He turned me on to Catch 21 at the Hilton on 23rd St.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    hep2thejive
    Hamburger
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 14:53:50 (permalink)
    My parents live on the North End of the beach and I get down there every so often. I am considering moving back down to that area but I'll have to see how that goes.

Everyone has recommended some great places. I kind of chuckled when I saw The Belvedere Coffee Shop. My sister and I had breakfast there a couple of times. She used to go there with her friends when she was in high school.

i95 mentioned Doumar's. If you are in Norfolk you really should give it a shot. The limeade is awesome and you can even get it sugar free if you are brave. The BBQ is alright and they even have Taylor Ham sandwiches. Another place in Norfolk worth exploring is the Dog and Burger.

Barry
    hep2thejive
    Hamburger
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 16:56:41 (permalink)
    I almost forgot - another nice place (also not all that inexpensive for the area) is Stenhilber's. It's tucked back in Thalia Acres.

They are closed on Sunday and get pretty busy on the weekends.

http://www.steinys.com
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/04/30 18:32:07 (permalink)
    quote:

I second the above on Tautog's. The seafood is fresh and deliciously prepared. They had paella as a special when we were there and it was outstanding. Their crabcakes were also exceptonal. And it's lovely to sit out on the front porch if the weather is good. The wait isn't too long if you get there closer to 6:00 p.m.
    BeachFc
    Junior Burger
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/05/01 13:11:19 (permalink)
    Well, Cameragrl, enjoy your time in VB next month and be sure to come back and post where you all ended up dining
    chrismzarpas
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/05/02 03:49:58 (permalink)
    You have recieved a lot of bad feedback here. For example, Jewish Mother is a disgusting pigsty that no local who values his health would enter much less eat at.Anyone who has eaten at quality delis in New York such as Carnegie or Katz's knows that some of the best deli anywhere can be found at the 58 Deli Diner on Virginia Beach Blvd. Meats and bread are imported from NYC. The sandwiches are nearly $10 and worth every penny. Beach Pub is for senior citizens on a tight budget. The soft, bland, overcooked food is easy on their dentures.A much, much better choice for Southern Style comfort food is Mary's on 17th St. They have an amazing breakfast and outstanding lunch specials. Lynnhaven Fish House is a pricey tourist trap with food no better than you would expect at a high end hotel. Locals eat nearby LFH at Chicks Oyster Bar or Charlies. Charlies was recently featured in the New York Times. Classic Road Food dive.

Here are your best bets for breakfast:

Belvedere: This tiny luncheonette is smack on the Ocean. Great spot. Good food. Expect to wait

Doc Taylors: Locals Favorite. Kitchen run by former Belvedere cook Ray Ray. Excellent, really. Bldg formerly housed the practice of a real Doctor Taylor.

Citrus: New and away from the beach but maybe the best breakfast in town now

Mary's: Old timey, "in the know" locals favorite. Great lunch

For Dinner:

Pelon's: This is an outstanding mexican restaurant opened by a wonderful family who migrated from Orange County, CA. Their Mexican "surfmex"or "calmex"cuisine feautures the kind of perfectly fresh, simple made from scratch fare common to the coasts of Mexico and California. Guadalajara is nothing special by comparison and it's staffed by people of questionable immigration status. Pelons is a very hip, cool spot with awesome food.

One Fish Two Fish: Blows Lynhaven Fish House away. Very stylish place on the water that feels more like NYC than VBVA, Top Rate seafood.

Catch 31: Very, Very Stylish bar and restaurant in the Hilton, Ranked 4th out of 50 best area restaurants by Hampton Roads magazine.

Tautogs: Outstanding locals Favorite run by Bill Gambrell, owner of Doc Taylors

La Marinalla: Outstanding Italian in a slick and comfortable setting. The owner Sal will proably visit your table.

Aldo's: Italian. Has set the standard for fine dining in VB for years. Favorite (with Terrapin) of the beach old money set
    hep2thejive
    Hamburger
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/05/02 09:16:22 (permalink)
    I agree with Chrismzarpas on the Jewish Mother. Nobody goes there except for tourists and I doubt they go back. I remember *not going* there in the 1970's. The 58 is outstanding and the guys that are cooking the food take a lot of time to prepare everything.

As for Mary's, I think it's overrated. I'd rather drive out to Great Neck and go to Bennett's or Sunrise.

La Marinella is fine and if you want Italian go there rather than Il Giordano which is priced for the tourists (the deals they run in the winter are proof of that). La Bella Italia is a nice Italian market and it was once a decent place to go for dinner but the upped the prices and the portion sizes so we don't go there as much.

Hep
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/05/02 20:26:54 (permalink)
    Chris is right on. He has resided on VB and knows the area like the back of his hand. I would listen to his advice.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Virginia Beach area 2007/05/06 08:54:02 (permalink)
    Mr. Mandalay hails from VB and the in-laws still live there. Unfortunately they're not the most adventurous eaters but I've been to some of the places mentioned.

Mary's--okay, nothing spectacular, popular with the locals.

Beach Pub--only been there for breakfast, again nothing spectacular.

Isle of Capri--love it, great Italian. This is at the top of the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort on the beach so there's great views. Although it's not listed on the menu IOC usually has she-crab soup available and it's the bomb. My father-in-law knows the owner Pasquale so that might have something to do with it.

Chick's Oyster Bar--I swear next time I'll bring my camera and give it the proper Roadfood treatment. Great burgers, sandwiches, and she-crab soup, plus if you're boating you can tie up right outside.

Il Giardino's--due to its location my in-laws refer to this place as Tenth Street. It's all right--they do have a really good caprese salad though.

One Fish Two Fish--I'm not a big seafood eater but my in-laws love the place.

Pocahontas Pancake and Waffle House--all right but INSANELY crowded, particularly during the summer since it was featured on Food Network a few years back.

A couple that haven't been mentioned, both on First Colonial Road:

Zinc Brasserie--this place opened last summer. A little pricey, but the food is GREAT, classic French bistro stuff.
    Nawab--great little Indian place if you're into that.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1