The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Columbia, SC Bar-be-que

bcf

• Total Posts: 3
Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Mon, 05/14/07 3:52 PM (permalink)
SC is home to several varieties of Bar-Be-Que sauces and many of us make our own. Someone earlier mentioned Maurice Bessinger's Bar-be-que in an earlier post & I'll admit it's acceptable. His is mustard based sauce, the slaw's pretty good, the fried onion rings used to be good but the last I had literally swam in grease, the fries are frozen. Personally, however, many of us in the midlands will not eat there because of his personal views, loudly stated and published which represent much of the worst of the South. He's also a mean, mean man, admittedly a personal opinion.

On to happier thoughts: The Little Pig on Alpine Road is my personal favorite locally. They serve all you can eat buffet style. Every night, they have pulled pork in mustard sauce, pulled pork in tomato-based sauce, and vinegar & pepper pulled pork. They always have a decent hash & the required rice (I'm told that SC is the only state in which one will find Bar-be-que meat hash, a blend of pork & chicken, served over rice or white bread in the upstate. Every where else, it's Brunswick Stew) The Little Pig also has Bar-be-qued chicken, fried fish, good hushpuppies. On rib night (Thurs?), they have suculent sauced ribs on the buffet and rubbed ribs on the pig table. The pig table is where, on other nights, a smoked piglet rests for dinners to pull off their own pieces of pig. The other items on the buffet and the deserts are nothing particularly special, tasty but ordinary (slaw, potato salad, onion rings, fries, green beans, texas beans, corn on the cob, etc)

Another good place in town in Big T's. He specializes in a blended mustard/tomato sauce. He serves like a meat & 3, so you get whatever kind of bar-be-que you ordered with 3 sides. The sides are obviously home cooked, not canned or frozen.

In Lexington, nearby, is Hudson's smokehouse. Last I was there it was takeout only though they did have picnic tables. They have a variety of smoked meats to which one can add sauce of three different flavors. All of their meat is really well done, delicious, moist smoked flavors but the sauces and the hash are a little too sweet for my taste, otherwise nicely spiced.

Avoid Oak Grove Bar-be-que in Lexington. New owners who don't know how to spice bar-ge-que. bland, bland, bland.

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115
    RE: Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Tue, 05/15/07 10:48 PM (permalink)
    Nice review, bcf. I very much enjoy Little Pigs. Haven't been to Big T yet. Maurice makes no money off of me for the reason you mentioned.

Hudsoon's has expanded and now has a large dining room with fireplace, and a smaller dining room/bar area. Their pork is nicely smoked and the service is great.

The Boar's Nest is quite good, also. Real smoked meat and good sides. They have two locations - Irmo and Northeast.

Bo-B-Que and Palmetto Pig in Columbia are fair-to-middlin' if you want roast pork or fried chicken. Gas cookers.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
      RE: Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Fri, 05/25/07 9:05 AM (permalink)
      Have either of you been to Shane's Rib House yet? (on Beltline Blvd.) Somebody told me it was good.

Edited to add: you know what? I don't hate Sticky Fingers. Those little smoked chicken wings are kinda to die for.

bcf

• Total Posts: 3
        RE: Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Sat, 05/26/07 11:03 AM (permalink)
        I haven't been to either Shane's or Sticky fingers. Frankly, if all I'm going to eat is ribs, I'll do them myself; I like a variety available to me at one sitting. I have seen the Shane's menu, however, it is a limited menu & I can go to Little Pigs for about the same amt & have variety. I tried one of Stickly fingers sauces from the grocery aisle and it was too sweet for my taste(the mustard). I love wings but usually prepare my own. We are income limited, so we don't eat out unless we can get something we can't or don't want to prepare at home. I love to grill & smoke and have several sauces and rubs that I use in preparing my own meat. I haven't yet done hash because it is a 2 day process to do well; maybe I'm just slow. Most BBQ places I go have to have hash for purchase, as well as pulled &/or chicken, sometimes ribs.

Nancypalooza

RE: Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Sat, 06/2/07 9:33 PM (permalink)
          Personally, I think it has a bit of eau de rat on it, but this made for an interesting idea:

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=1992912064227409&ShowArticle_ID=11462905071185387

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115
            RE: Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Sat, 06/2/07 10:01 PM (permalink)
            Nancy, I had wondered if anyone would post the Free Times BBQ ratings here. Thanks. I too have some reservertions about the "blind" judging - you can tell Maurice's BBQ by looking at it. Soaked, drenched, slathered in mustard sauce. If I'm not mistaken, M. is a big member of the organization that did the judging.

But, ok. They say his is the best. Personally, I'd still vote for Hudson's and Little Pigs before M's.

Nancypalooza

RE: Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Mon, 06/4/07 9:27 AM (permalink)
              Yeah, and if you read the rules, if it comes prepared in sauce, it's judged that way; if it doesn't, it's judged that way. Hudson's, Little Pigs, Sticky Fingers, none of those put the sauce on it prior, so yeah, I smell a Maurice-sized rat.

Now, that being said, I had lunch at Hudson's about a week ago and whereas it was still better than most of what's in town (outside of Shealy's), I think they need to tighten up the food a bit and stop refurnishing the dining room. People reading this who are not from Columbia or the area, Hudson's is really kind of a trailblazer in a way because there just aren't many local barbecue joints in the South that (a) serve beer; and (b) are open on Sunday. Probably another throwback to pork being the recreational drug of choice for Baptists.

And incidentally huntryce, you notice the 'rules' for this thing omitted Shealy's on the mileage thing. Rat dropping number two.

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
                RE: Columbia, SC Bar-be-que Wed, 04/22/09 7:15 PM (permalink)
                This is an old thread I realize, but I had to go to Columbia to pick up some soaping oils and checked out RF of course as I knew I would need to eat while I was down there. 

Hudson's Smokehouse was not far from where I needed to go, and I am so glad I tried it.  Excellent BBQ, moist, great flavor even without any sauce at all.

Their cole slaw and beans (with bits of bbq in it) were good too I thought.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com