Evanston is a GREAT restaurant town! You will not be disappointed. They have everything from trendy chains to upscale one of a kind places. Here are some of the many places available:
1. Barcelona Tapas, great Spanish food on Chicago Avenue.
2. Dave's Italian Kitchen -- honestly I've never been there as they're only open for dinner, but very popular.
3. Buffalo Joe's on Clark Street -- the best dang buffalo wings and burgers anywhere!!! I had the winds once, wonderful, then I tried the Arizona Chicken sandwich, grilled chicken with sharp cheddar cheese and grilled onions, lettuce, and tomato -- I am addicted. An order of waffle fries completes the foodgasm.
4. Dixie Kitchen -- very cute and kitschy, and excellent food for a great price. Church street west of Sherman.
5. Lulu's - trendy asian at Davis and Sherman.
6. Tratoria Demi, decadent northern Italian, Sherman south of Davis.
7. Vive le Crepe just next door, you will never think of crepes the same way again, excellent.
8. Pete Miller's Steak house -- never been here, expensive, but it always gets good reviews.
9. Davis Street Fish Market, Davis and Hinman east edge of downtown, very good seafood, you can even buy your own fresh.
10. Connie's Pizza, very good pizza -- Chi CAAA go style pizza!
11. Merle's BBQ on Benson Street (more prominent sign right now thanks to the adjacent Evanston Athletic Club renovation), excellent barbacue, ribs, and just outright great food. And Mondays are mothers eat free day!!!
12. Bar Louie, a Chicago chain with very good food and a nice outdoor seating area. Sherman and Grove, I think.
13. Prairie Moon to the south, more refined dining, quaint renovation of an old building.
14. Glass Chimney - I haven't eanen here but I hear good things, upscale.
15. Mount Everset Indian Buffet, you can't go wrong.
16. Olive Mountain Middle Eastern cuisine, good and even healthy.
17. Pita Pete's Healthy Eats, unique foods and good for you. The falafel pita with tsatsiki sauce is to die for.
18. That Little Mexican Cafe, pricey for Mexican but excellent quality, very tasty. And fantastic margaritas and a nice bar.
19. PJ Clarke's, comfort food, 50's diner like. Good breakfast food all day and diner food.
20. Joy Yee trendy Asian. If you don't like noisy places you may be uncomfortable here as there is no absorptive surfaces, but the food is very good and the smoothies are authentic (according to a former coworker from Hong Kong who loved this place) this is reasonably priced, and typical of Chinese where you can count on bringing home leftovers.
More casual cafes:
21. Kafein, a good coffee place, a younger feel, almost like college students put the place together.
22. Mozart Cafe, desserts and coffee, very good for after dinner.
23. Italian Coffee Bar, a nice change from the chain places.
Those are the ones I have tried and are all withing a mile radius. I know there are others.
And if you want chain places there is also Chipotle, Flat Top Grill, Panera, Cosi, Starbucks, Cold Stone, Chili's To Go, Le Peep, Einstein's Bagels, Taco Bell, Burger King. No McDonalds unless you drive a few miles west on Dempster. you won't miss it.
The more I typed the more places popped into mind. Evanston is like Chicago but with a smaller and more casual feel. It's a great place to visit and live, and work. Have a great visit!!!