Places to eat in the Evanston IL area

Author
porkchop922
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
2007/05/17 17:31:52 (permalink)

Places to eat in the Evanston IL area

I'm going to be staying at the Evanston Hilton Garden Inn for 5 days. I was wanting to know some good places to eat around the area. Thanks Porkchop

5 Replies Related Threads

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2978
    RE: Places to eat in the Evanston IL area 2007/05/17 17:35:46 (permalink)
    Chicago Style Hot Dogs at Weiner & Still Champion on Dempster in Evanston.
    louweezy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Places to eat in the Evanston IL area 2007/05/18 17:59:21 (permalink)
    it's not Evanston, but it's close..
    Candlelite on N. Western Av Really good pizza. They apparently have changed hands since I last went, so I can't guarantee it 100%, but I certainly left happy.

http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=18757&neighborhoodid=105&cuisineid=0

Campagnola always gets good reviews,

Here's a list of what's in Evanston. I usually ignore the reader reviews, but at least you can see what they have available.
    http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/search-venues.front?name=&attributeType=mmx-cuisine®Comm=C%3Ammx-evanston
    timmmahhhh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Places to eat in the Evanston IL area 2007/05/19 01:30:38 (permalink)
    Evanston is a GREAT restaurant town! You will not be disappointed. They have everything from trendy chains to upscale one of a kind places. Here are some of the many places available:

1. Barcelona Tapas, great Spanish food on Chicago Avenue.
    2. Dave's Italian Kitchen -- honestly I've never been there as they're only open for dinner, but very popular.
    3. Buffalo Joe's on Clark Street -- the best dang buffalo wings and burgers anywhere!!! I had the winds once, wonderful, then I tried the Arizona Chicken sandwich, grilled chicken with sharp cheddar cheese and grilled onions, lettuce, and tomato -- I am addicted. An order of waffle fries completes the foodgasm.
    4. Dixie Kitchen -- very cute and kitschy, and excellent food for a great price. Church street west of Sherman.
    5. Lulu's - trendy asian at Davis and Sherman.
    6. Tratoria Demi, decadent northern Italian, Sherman south of Davis.
    7. Vive le Crepe just next door, you will never think of crepes the same way again, excellent.
    8. Pete Miller's Steak house -- never been here, expensive, but it always gets good reviews.
    9. Davis Street Fish Market, Davis and Hinman east edge of downtown, very good seafood, you can even buy your own fresh.
    10. Connie's Pizza, very good pizza -- Chi CAAA go style pizza!
    11. Merle's BBQ on Benson Street (more prominent sign right now thanks to the adjacent Evanston Athletic Club renovation), excellent barbacue, ribs, and just outright great food. And Mondays are mothers eat free day!!!
    12. Bar Louie, a Chicago chain with very good food and a nice outdoor seating area. Sherman and Grove, I think.
    13. Prairie Moon to the south, more refined dining, quaint renovation of an old building.
    14. Glass Chimney - I haven't eanen here but I hear good things, upscale.
    15. Mount Everset Indian Buffet, you can't go wrong.
    16. Olive Mountain Middle Eastern cuisine, good and even healthy.
    17. Pita Pete's Healthy Eats, unique foods and good for you. The falafel pita with tsatsiki sauce is to die for.
    18. That Little Mexican Cafe, pricey for Mexican but excellent quality, very tasty. And fantastic margaritas and a nice bar.
    19. PJ Clarke's, comfort food, 50's diner like. Good breakfast food all day and diner food.
    20. Joy Yee trendy Asian. If you don't like noisy places you may be uncomfortable here as there is no absorptive surfaces, but the food is very good and the smoothies are authentic (according to a former coworker from Hong Kong who loved this place) this is reasonably priced, and typical of Chinese where you can count on bringing home leftovers.

More casual cafes:
    21. Kafein, a good coffee place, a younger feel, almost like college students put the place together.
    22. Mozart Cafe, desserts and coffee, very good for after dinner.
    23. Italian Coffee Bar, a nice change from the chain places.

Those are the ones I have tried and are all withing a mile radius. I know there are others.

And if you want chain places there is also Chipotle, Flat Top Grill, Panera, Cosi, Starbucks, Cold Stone, Chili's To Go, Le Peep, Einstein's Bagels, Taco Bell, Burger King. No McDonalds unless you drive a few miles west on Dempster. you won't miss it.

The more I typed the more places popped into mind. Evanston is like Chicago but with a smaller and more casual feel. It's a great place to visit and live, and work. Have a great visit!!!
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Places to eat in the Evanston IL area 2007/05/19 12:34:12 (permalink)
    great list timmmaahhh!
    i second buffalo joe's and enjoy thier chili dogs[rosen's poppyseed buns!]
    i also enjoy lu lu's for thier bento box[such a deal!]
    pete millers steakhouse is very nice.[i always seem to enjoy it a little more when someone else is paying]!
    le peep is a good value.[always fresh,reasonable and such nice servers]
    next door is dixie kitchen and i would suggest that also[a few al fresco tables are good for people watching]!
    i hear good things about chef's station although i have not been there...yet[recently recommended and featured on 'check please' here in chicago]!
    someone mentioned campanola.it is absolutely wonderful and the kind of place i enjoy.i would go every night if i could,the menu is well constructed and beautifully executed!emphasis on sustained farming and organic meats and produce.a culinary treasure.
    for take away dessert,bennison's bakery is lovely.[a little something sweet to take back to your hotel room,like a black and white cookie or some tiramisu]!

have fun and good eating!
    porkchop922
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Places to eat in the Evanston IL area 2007/05/19 12:37:56 (permalink)
    You guys are great!!Thanks so much for all the great information.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1