The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs?

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Mon, 05/28/07 11:25 AM (permalink)
Hi. Saturday 6/9 I will be driving home from a Friday business trip to Harrisburg Pa. I plan to stay overnight Friday in H'burg (so I can do the brewpub scene without driving)and eat my way home to Union County NJ on Saturday.

After doing my research on this and other Web sites, here are my proposed stops:

Harrisburg:
Friday Night:
Subway Inn - Old bar w/Pizza(is this old bar still open?. Conflicting info out there).
Zembie's - old bar
Appalachian Brewing Company
Nick's cafe - 60 draft beers (Memo to wife: I will be staying near downtown, no driving after stop #2).

Saturday in Harrisburg:
Tour capitol, City island, Riverfront, etc.
Lunch:
Jackson House - Cheeseburger Sub
The Spot - Hot Dogs
Jigsy's Old Forge Pizza - For taking home.

On the way Home:
Lancaster -Captain Gus - Cheeseteak.
Food Shop at Shady Maple Farm Market
Columbia: Smith's Hotel - Cheeseburger Sub.

Does anyone have any other "must stops" along this route? Whatever I can't finish eating on the road I can always take home.

PS: I'm not much interested in any of the all-you-can eat places around Lancaster, Been there done that with the family years ago. I'm in this for Cheeseteaks, Pizza, Subs, Burgers, Hot Dogs, old bars in Hotels, and Brewpubs.

Thanks for your help. --Ken

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
    RE: Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Mon, 05/28/07 11:53 AM (permalink)
    If you haven't been, you will positively love the Shady Maple food store. We picked up some local kettle cooked potato chips and a deli container of "Cranberry Salad" that was most delicious.

I only live a couple of hours away, and haven't been to any of the other places mentioned, so kindly leave us a report. We're always looking for great places to stop on the way to DC/Baltimore, etc.

Have fun!! (And if you like the Old Forge Pizza, make sure you come to our Northeast PA town for the real thing!).

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
      RE: Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Mon, 05/28/07 6:00 PM (permalink)
      Don't forget to check out the Bird-in-Hand farmers market......big indoor place with lots of good soft pretzel places, and all kinds of those jams and jelly places.

Mostly ever booth is staffed by the Amish.....

Great whoopie pies , too! (for anyone that does'nt know, they are like devil dogs, but they are round shape.)

Cheesesteaks, burgers, hot dogs?!? My kind of guy, Ken..

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
        RE: Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Mon, 05/28/07 7:17 PM (permalink)
        Troeg's does tours/tastings on Saturdays. Union Barrel Works opened recently in Reamstown. Victory is just off rt. 30 in Downingtown.

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
          RE: Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Mon, 05/28/07 7:39 PM (permalink)
          Sounds like you're taking a lesiurely trip back to NJ. If you take 78 on your way out Trainer's Midway Diner is great for breakfast. Local sausage or scrapple with pancakes is my usual.

ken8038

RE: Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Tue, 05/29/07 6:08 PM (permalink)
            Thanks for the replies so far. The trip home seems like it will now require a 36 hour day!

Stanpnepa: I'm aware of Old Forge Pizza. Somewhere on this site is my review of a one day trip I made there last year.

RC51Mike: Thanks for the tip about Union Barrell Works. I think you've got the OnLine Microbrewery directories scooped on that one. Looks good from the pix I've found on the Web.

Eggsactley: Thanks for the tip about Trainer's diner. I'm leaving NJ at about 6AM Friday morning to be sure I get to H'burg in time for a 9 AM meeting. If I'm not too tied up by all the construction I think is still going on along 78, I'll try to make a breakfast stop there.

Ellen: I was at the Bird in Hand years ago. I think it's right on my planned route, so I'll try to fit that in as well.

--Ken.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
              RE: Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Wed, 05/30/07 7:06 AM (permalink)
              If you come down the river from H'burg to Columbia, the best cheesesteak in Lanc. Co. is at the Smith Hotel on Rte. 462. Gus is good but Smith's is better IMHO. Also, Bully's Bar in Columbia has some good micro beer and buffalo burgers.

ken8038

RE: Harrisburg to NJ via Rt 30 or 322 recs? Sun, 06/10/07 5:08 PM (permalink)
                Hi again. I'm back from my trip so I thought I'd report back on the results.

My meeting in Harrisburg was over by 1PM on Friday which gave me an extra half day or so to be on my own. I decided to alter my itinerary so I headed over the Lancaster to Captain Gus's for lunch. It was crowded at 1PM so I ate by my car. I only gave the cheeseteak a "B" rating. For one thing, I never should have got sauce on it, and the cheese was mozzarella, so the whole think tasted like steak pitzaole (sp?) on a roll.

On my way back to Harrisburg I stopped at Smith's Hotel in Columbia for another cheese steak. This was more like it! I was still sort of full, so I got a small cheesteak (only $2.75). Very tasty!

On to Dallastown to pick up a couple pounds of Sechrist's Hot Dogs to take home (love the small town main street butcher stores) and then to the Motel in Harrisburg.

After a short rest I headed downtown to The Spot. This is a 1928 Coffee Shop supposedly noted for thier Hot Dogs. Maybe so, but I got there about 6PM, was 4th in line at the take out counter. At 6:15 I was still 4th in line, and no one had been served yet. Maybe the people ahead of me had been waiting since 1928. I gave up. Also, it was 97 degrees outside and maybe 94 degrees inside.

I decided to walk across the pedestrian bridge to take in a Harrisburg Senators baseball game and maybe get something to eat there. But when I reached the stadium it just seemed too hot to sit thru a game so I just walked around and took a few pictures. It was also threatening to storm, and the last thing I wanted to do was get caught on the pedestrian bridge running back to my car.

I headed back into downtown Harrisburg (which seems to have quite an active after-work downtown life. Good to see). I stopped for a cold beer at a magnificent old tavern called Zembie's, and then headed back to my car.

On to the Subway Inn, on Herr Street. This place is very much still in business. As soon as I saw the fabulous neon Subway Inn sign, I knew I was gonna like this place. I decided to try thier pizza. I've had pizza alll over, I grew up in Brooklyn, live in NJ, been to New Haven, etc etc. What I did not expect was that I would have one of the 10 best pizzas I've ever had in my life in a deserted industrial section of Harrisburg PA of all places. It's more like a bar pie, with great sauce and crust. I ate the whole thing. It was only $5.75.

Next stop, Applachian Brew Pub. Nice restoration of an old industrial building, good beer, and fairly busy on a Friday night.

I passed by Jackson house, if they were still open I would have gotten a cheeseburger sub to take home, but they were closed for the day.

Saturday I made two food stops. Bird In Hand Farmer's Market and Shady Maple Farm Markket. I bought all kinds of Potato Chips and meats to bring home. And made myself a Lebanon Bologna sandwich for lunch.

Final stop, a quick beer at the newly opened Union Barrel Works brewpub in Reamstown Pa and it time to go home. Very nice restoration or an old hardware store. Great back bar too.

Thanks agian for the tips! --Ken

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com