The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 52 of 52
Author Message
RibDog

  • Total Posts: 593
  • Joined: 6/6/2003
  • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Fri, 07/30/04 11:32 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen


I am bringing back this topic because I want to comment on a sale going on in our area...and this is the closest I can find without starting a whole new thread.
Our local grocery has large pork butts on sale this week for 89 cents a pound. I have ordered 8 of them (6 lbs or larger each). Some will go in the freezer, but Monday should turn into a start up the smoker day. By Wed. of next week I will have 4 or 5 done and stored.
Now that is what I call taking advantage of the local market !! We don't chop the meat, but pull it off in chunks and slice thickly any unusually large chunks.


Where you at again Al? I am still paying $1.22/lb. on a case at Sam's here in Clearwater.

John
 
#31
    mayor al

    • Total Posts: 15062
    • Joined: 8/20/2002
    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sat, 07/31/04 12:23 AM (permalink)
    John,
    About 15 miles due west of Louisville In Southern Indiana

    Went to the store and the Meat Mgr. had 3 pkg of two butt pieces each ready to go..They average 15 lbs per pkg. (Just Right) We put two in the freezer and will begin to get the last couple ready tomorrow. Smoker will be working on Monday. Low and Slow means at least 10 hours in the smoker, but the end product is sure worth the effort.
     
    #32
      SteveB9

      • Total Posts: 46
      • Joined: 3/31/2004
      • Location: Jefferson, GA
      RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sat, 07/31/04 5:16 PM (permalink)
      I have always preferred pulled rather than chopped. It seems to have a slightly different taste, and like someone else mentioned, it holds the sauce differently. Some places chop it so fine that the meat gets too saturated.
      Aslo have found that if the butt is cooked long enough, and all the internal fat rendered, it is very hard to properly slice. I just take two big forks and pull the shreds apart.
       
      #33
        RibDog

        • Total Posts: 593
        • Joined: 6/6/2003
        • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
        RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sat, 07/31/04 6:01 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

        John,
        About 15 miles due west of Louisville In Southern Indiana

        Went to the store and the Meat Mgr. had 3 pkg of two butt pieces each ready to go..They average 15 lbs per pkg. (Just Right) We put two in the freezer and will begin to get the last couple ready tomorrow. Smoker will be working on Monday. Low and Slow means at least 10 hours in the smoker, but the end product is sure worth the effort.


        When I cook butts, I usually get a case which will be 8 butts and them all in between two WSMs. It takes closer to 15 hours to come up to the pulling stage.

        John
         
        #34
          garykg6

          • Total Posts: 358
          • Joined: 6/22/2003
          • Location: tampa, FL
          RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sat, 07/31/04 6:37 PM (permalink)
          I'll side with the MAYOR on this,i also prefer larger pieces of pork,for some reason,chopped or pulled pork doesn't do it for me and I am in a distinct minority here in Tampa(which is loaded w/ BBQ joints. Then again,enough beer and I'll eat just about anything
           
          #35
            1bbqboy

            • Total Posts: 4542
            • Joined: 11/20/2000
            • Location: Rogue Valley
            RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sat, 07/31/04 6:49 PM (permalink)
            I don't remember pulled or chopped pork growing up in KC. It was always sliced. My favorite sandwich was always a combo, either beef and pork, or beef and ham. Though I see that some places in KC now serve pork in the pulled/chopped style, it isn't in the city's tradition to have sauce mixed in to the meat.
             
            #36
              fcbaldwin

              • Total Posts: 388
              • Joined: 3/8/2004
              • Location: Powhatan, VA
              RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sun, 08/1/04 10:35 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen


              I am bringing back this topic because I want to comment on a sale going on in our area...and this is the closest I can find without starting a whole new thread.
              Our local grocery has large pork butts on sale this week for 89 cents a pound. I have ordered 8 of them (6 lbs or larger each). Some will go in the freezer, but Monday should turn into a start up the smoker day. By Wed. of next week I will have 4 or 5 done and stored.
              Now that is what I call taking advantage of the local market !! We don't chop the meat, but pull it off in chunks and slice thickly any unusually large chunks.


              When you can get 'em on sale like that it's great to smoke a number of them for freezing and eating later. Linda has one of those food savers that vacuums out all the air, and that works very well when you freeze portions of the pulled/chopped smoked pork. We freeze portions that will make 4 or 6 nice size sandwiches when you start to hunger for some barbeque in another month or so. We don't put any sauce on it before freezing; just the smoked meat. You can sauce it later if you want.

              Frank
               
              #37
                mayor al

                • Total Posts: 15062
                • Joined: 8/20/2002
                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sun, 08/1/04 11:05 AM (permalink)
                Frank
                I agree 100 % on the storage. The frozen/thawed loses some of the quality, but not enough to cause us concern.
                Not meaning to knock the tradition, but I really do like the chunks that must be picked apart rather than the 'super minced" or finely chopped. I want to chew something when I bit into a sandwich or a forkful. When we go to a place that chops the pig, I ask for as coarsly chopped as they are willing to serve it. Sliced is a good way of avoiding the fine chopping that to me makes a lot of good pork into sawdust.
                 
                #38
                  fcbaldwin

                  • Total Posts: 388
                  • Joined: 3/8/2004
                  • Location: Powhatan, VA
                  RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sun, 08/1/04 11:22 AM (permalink)
                  Al, we sometimes just freeze the whole butt after having been smoked. Then when you want it later you can pull it after thawing. I guess the main reason to pull it before freezing is just for convenience later. And, if it's just the two of us at that time, we don't have to deal with the whole butt. But I wonder if the quality is less compromised when frozen whole?

                  Frank
                   
                  #39
                    mayor al

                    • Total Posts: 15062
                    • Joined: 8/20/2002
                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sun, 08/1/04 1:01 PM (permalink)
                    I like your plan, but space is a consideration for us also. So we "bone-it" then store the meat. It doesn't last more than a month or two at most, cuz we use it up pretty fast.
                     
                    #40
                      RibDog

                      • Total Posts: 593
                      • Joined: 6/6/2003
                      • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
                      RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sun, 08/1/04 2:00 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by fcbaldwin

                      Al, we sometimes just freeze the whole butt after having been smoked. Then when you want it later you can pull it after thawing. I guess the main reason to pull it before freezing is just for convenience later. And, if it's just the two of us at that time, we don't have to deal with the whole butt. But I wonder if the quality is less compromised when frozen whole?

                      Frank


                      I cut my smoked butts in half, wrap each separately, then the two halfs together into one pcakage. Since I sell a lot of these to friends and such, it helps to have them cut in half. That way they don't have to thaw out the whole butt just to get some meat.

                      John
                       
                      #41
                        Iconic

                        • Total Posts: 36
                        • Joined: 10/12/2003
                        • Location: DeSoto, MO
                        RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Wed, 08/11/04 12:20 AM (permalink)
                        I sent my wife to "Super"Walmart the other day to pick up a couple butts....she went up to the butcher and asked for a couple boston butts and the guy had no clue what she was talking about. Fortunately I still ended up with the right cut
                         
                        #42
                          Art Deco

                          • Total Posts: 889
                          • Joined: 6/12/2002
                          • Location: Nashville, TN
                          RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Wed, 08/11/04 9:44 AM (permalink)
                          I prefer it pulled, but like it chopped and sliced as well. If it was smoked properly, the other doesn't matter greatly to me...
                           
                          #43
                            Sundancer7

                            RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Thu, 08/12/04 4:37 PM (permalink)
                            The Sundancer likes it pulled. For some reason and in my opinion I believe it takes the ssuce and I enjoy it more. It does not seem strained and taste more natureal. That is my thought and taste.

                            Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN
                             
                            #44
                              chezkatie

                              • Total Posts: 1329
                              • Joined: 6/24/2001
                              • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
                              RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Thu, 08/12/04 4:46 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Sundancer7

                              The Sundancer likes it pulled. For some reason and in my opinion I believe it takes the ssuce and I enjoy it more. It does not seem strained and taste more natureal. That is my thought and taste.

                              Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN


                              I agree with this.............love it pulled and being able to put the amount of sauce on it that I want.
                               
                              #45
                                cedwin

                                • Total Posts: 63
                                • Joined: 7/30/2004
                                • Location: St. Paul, MN
                                RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Thu, 08/12/04 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                I agree with sundancer and chezkatie. If you want to get technical about it, the increased "surface area" of the pulled pork really makes it absorb surrounding sauce/flavorings more readily. And, it just eats better
                                 
                                #46
                                  Ort. Carlton.

                                  • Total Posts: 3589
                                  • Joined: 4/9/2003
                                  • Location: Athens, GA
                                  RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Thu, 08/12/04 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                  Dearfolk,
                                  Y'all making me HONGRY!!!!!
                                  Rumblingly (And It Ain't Thundering Outside!), Ort. Carlton in Maybe-Thunderstormy Athens, Georgia.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    Sundancer7

                                    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Thu, 08/12/04 7:17 PM (permalink)
                                    The best pulled BBQ I have ever had was at the Hayes BBQ in Lexington, TN.

                                    I was there with The Mayor, Bushie, Pogophiles, Poverty Pete and JimInKy.

                                    I sincerely wish I was there today. It was great.

                                    Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN
                                     
                                    #48
                                      mrc2u

                                      • Total Posts: 3
                                      • Joined: 8/14/2004
                                      • Location: tampa, FL
                                      RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sat, 08/14/04 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                      Definitely prefer chopped! Traveled all over and the best Ive ever had was at O'Dells BBQ in Buffalo SC right outside Union SC, right near Spartanburg SC...... Anyway, chopped with a great sauce (tomato based) mixed in, served with bread & butter pickles and a loaf of pure white bread on the table. Doesnt get any better than that.
                                       
                                      #49
                                        BT

                                        • Total Posts: 3589
                                        • Joined: 7/3/2004
                                        • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                        RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sat, 08/14/04 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by mrc2u

                                        Definitely prefer chopped! Traveled all over and the best Ive ever had was at O'Dells BBQ in Buffalo SC right outside Union SC, right near Spartanburg SC...... Anyway, chopped with a great sauce (tomato based) mixed in, served with bread & butter pickles and a loaf of pure white bread on the table. Doesnt get any better than that.


                                        Yes it does. You need cole slaw with it.
                                         
                                        #50
                                          mayor al

                                          • Total Posts: 15062
                                          • Joined: 8/20/2002
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Sun, 08/15/04 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                          I think that's why I like the bigger pieces of pulled pork over the chopped or minced...They retain the moisture of the meat and don't get "Dry" so quickly. I am of the school that says the Slaw belongs beside the sandwich. Maybe that's why I lean (no pun) towards the Moonlite in Owensboro as much as I do. They offer both pulled (chunk) and chopped with both their Pork and their Mutton. The beef brisket is sliced only, not chopped.
                                           
                                          #51
                                            Bogeyman

                                            • Total Posts: 35
                                            • Joined: 4/20/2004
                                            • Location: Lawrenceville, GA
                                            RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork Wed, 08/18/04 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                            Pulled is my preference by far. Although I think some places don't know the difference between pulled & chunks.
                                             
                                            #52
                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 52 of 52

                                              Jump to:

                                              Current active users

                                              There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                              • New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com