The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Halibut cost more than lobster !

GCD1962

• Total Posts: 66
Halibut cost more than lobster ! Fri, 06/15/07 10:40 PM (permalink)
I've ordered halibut from suppliers in Alaska for a number of years. Always kind of pricey either fresh or fresh/frozen. This year though the price has gone through the roof ! My main supplier refuses to even offer it. I found another supplier who has fresh/frozen filets. I ordered 25 lbs @ $14.50 lb delivered. Later in the day I saw they had to raise the price to over $19 pound ! It seems that the available catch was reduced by about 6% this year and the big guys such as Costco,Sams and other are buying huge quantities as halibut has been "discovered" It is a great tasting fish, but is now more costly than lobster and even King Crab.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
    RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 12:59 PM (permalink)
    On the east coast we seldom see it anymore, except frozen. When I was a kid, it was cheap and popular. I think I remember being told that halibut is a slower growing fish, and that if we just plain banned fishing, it would still take years for them to recover. $19 a pound is enough, IMO, that the stocks will be under pressure from poachers. From what I see in the brochures that I get at the travel agency, halibut is a big time sport fish. A trip to catch them is thousands of $$$ per person. www.obmg.com (the feature photo is of a salmon but if you look through the site you will see some HUGE halibut) There must be a lot of groups competing for the right to catch them. ie commercial fisherman, outfitters, Native Americans, and local Alaska sport fishermen.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
      RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 1:28 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by tmiles

On the east coast we seldom see it anymore, except frozen. When I was a kid, it was cheap and popular. I think I remember being told that halibut is a slower growing fish, and that if we just plain banned fishing, it would still take years for them to recover. $19 a pound is enough, IMO, that the stocks will be under pressure from poachers. From what I see in the brochures that I get at the travel agency, halibut is a big time sport fish. A trip to catch them is thousands of $$$ per person. www.obmg.com (the feature photo is of a salmon but if you look through the site you will see some HUGE halibut) There must be a lot of groups competing for the right to catch them. ie commercial fisherman, outfitters, Native Americans, and local Alaska sport fishermen.

They can get pretty big. Part of the standard gear when fishing halibut for sport is a big-bore handgun.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
        RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 1:38 PM (permalink)
        But, I think, not as large as they used to.... Oak Bay Marine used to post pictures of happy fishermen with halibut as tall as the fisherman when the fish was strung up for a picture. This year they have a picture of 2 happy guys with one 68 lb fish, and another of a guy with 1 salmon and one halibut. Maybe they need to lower expectations??

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
          RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 5:14 PM (permalink)
          Actually we use a .410 Snake Charmer to shoot them. The largest halibut we have caught on our boat is about a 114 pounder (landed by redpatti!). We fish in Prince William Sound which is really deep (1000 ft.or more in some places) so in order to get our gear down to the bottom we have to look for places that are around 200 ft. The fish are smaller. It's better fishing in the Homer area (Katchemak Bay) but too long of a drive for us for two days of fishing, hauling the boat, etc. Actually the smaller halibut, between 30 and 75 pounds are the best eating. We went out on our friends' new boat last Sunday and landed a halibut.......sure is good!!! As for the price/lb. here I think it's running around $6.99.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 6:35 PM (permalink)
            The Snake Charmer works. On the charter boats I've fished from we've been in the deeper water. The largest one I've ever seen come aboard weighed over 350 pounds. I wasn't the one who had it on.

lleechef

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 6:57 PM (permalink)
              Well, obviously I am OUT OF THE LOOP. Just out of curiosity I called New Sagaya Market and lobster is $16.99 (not surprising) but the halibut is $15.99!! Yikes!

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 7:42 PM (permalink)
                Just sounds like a matter of over fishing the seas for the more desirable fish. It is one of the "benefits" of our global economy. If we continue in this way, we will certainly fish out our oceans and seas.

If we continue in this way, the only thing our children can get from the sea is salt and a legacy of greed.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                  RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 9:16 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Greyghost

Just sounds like a matter of over fishing the seas for the more desirable fish. It is one of the "benefits" of our global economy. If we continue in this way, we will certainly fish out our oceans and seas.

If we continue in this way, the only thing our children can get from the sea is salt and a legacy of greed.

AMEN & thanks 'fer saying what was/is on my mind on this subject. Sometimes (and more frequently as time goes along), I seem to the think of the human race as a virus inflicted on our Mother Earth! A NASTY virus, at that...

Michael Hoffman

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/18/07 9:30 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

AMEN & thanks 'fer saying what was/is on my mind on this subject. Sometimes (and more frequently as time goes along), I seem to the think of the human race as a virus inflicted on our Mother Earth! A NASTY virus, at that...

Humanity is as much a part of nature as the oceans. Humanity is not a virus, it is a necessary component of life.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                      RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Tue, 06/19/07 11:17 AM (permalink)
                      We all must consider what has transpired over the years.
                      A number of years ago you could only get good fresh fish within a limited distance from the ports. Now you can have fresh seafood shipped almost anywhere in hours.
                      This has vastly increased a loyal costomer base wich led to increased fishing {Govt. subsidized at one time I might add} larger boats, improved technoloigy, foreign fleets, factory ships and greater compition.

Here in the U.S. they have drasticly reduced the number of days that the commercial fleet can spend at sea. It's almost at the point that we may see a whole lifestyle dissapear. Many of the commercial fishermen are contemplating wether they are going to fish another season or not.

That's just the begining of the cause of high seafood prices. Take in the gas, transportation, insurance, labor and a very poor shelf life all contribue to the riseing prices. Chow Jim

lleechef

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Tue, 06/19/07 4:49 PM (permalink)
                        I called Yankee Lobster in Boston, the price for a 1 1/2 lb. lobster is $9.95/lb.

Jimeats

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Wed, 06/20/07 8:50 AM (permalink)
                          Another chink in the armour has been reported today.
                          Red Tide has been reported from very southern Maine thru the N.H. seacoast.
                          They have closed those shellfishing beds untill further notice.
                          This will mainly affect the soft shell clam, steamers.
                          On the bright side though, other areas are doing well so far.
                          There should be plenty of clams for the tourist trade. Chow Jim

lleechef

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Wed, 06/20/07 11:14 PM (permalink)
                            They have red tide at least once every summer.

The oceans have definately been overfished. That's why there so much farm raised crap on the markets these days. I'm glad we can catch our own salmon, halibut, trout, grayling, snapper and others.

Jimeats

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Fri, 06/22/07 10:25 AM (permalink)
                              Not true at all about the red tide. We went quite a few years in a row with no reports of the red tide.
                              Two years ago we had an extensive closeing of the beds due to the tide. That was long and encompased a large area of the New England shore line.
                              Last year's shut down was do to all the flooding we had in the spring, bacteria was the cause not the red tide. Anytime we get over an inch of rain they close the beds for a few days for this reason. Chow Jim

Jimeats

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Sat, 06/23/07 8:09 AM (permalink)
                                Just a little update.
                                The red tide has now spread thru northern Ma. They closed a number {all} of beds yesterday from Salisbury down to Manchester and they do expect it to spread further south. This will affect those that crave a steamer from Ipswich/Essex/Rowley/Byfield/Newbury/Newburyport/Glouster and so on.
                                The flats on the So. Shore are still open, hopefully it won't spread that far. Chow Jim

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Mon, 06/25/07 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                  Wow isn't early for Ride Tide that far north???

Two years ago down in the gulf the Red Tide was horrible, I had never seen so many fish washed on shore like that.

The scallops are finally getting back to normal

Suds

• Total Posts: 14
                                    RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Wed, 06/27/07 7:43 AM (permalink)
                                    Good news! The clam flats are open in Ipswich today.

Jimeats

RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Wed, 06/27/07 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                      I just returned from breakfast and was informed that all the flats are now open again. High tide now here so they will be digging in a few hours.

Nice to have such a short shutdown, And a good night for steamers. I t's very hot and humid here today. Chow Jim

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                        RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Wed, 06/27/07 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                        My local seafood purveyor sent me an email today that he has halibut on sale for $17.95 a pound! He also has Copper River salmon for $19.95.

chickenwingking

• Total Posts: 59
                                          RE: Halibut cost more than lobster ! Thu, 08/23/07 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
                                          Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Humanity is as much a part of nature as the oceans. Humanity is not a virus, it is a necessary component of life.

Humanity is hardly a necessary component of life on this Earth considering we've only been on it a short time compared to the length of time this planet has supported life.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com