Babe's Chicken Dinner House

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
TXFoodie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/06/23 23:34:08 (permalink)

Babe's Chicken Dinner House

For anyone living in or visiting the Dallas-Fort Worth area...have you ever eaten at Babe's Chicken Dinner House?

71 Replies Related Threads

dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 00:38:33 (permalink)
    Hi,
    We eat at the Babe's Chicken Dinner House in Burleson on a regular basis. It is wonderful. It is a family style restaurant in that you choose an entree and then the salad, biscuits and vegetables are served family style,and are all you can eat. The entrees include 1/2 fried chicken, a VERY large chicken fried steak with cream gravy, fork tender pot roast with brown gravy, 1/2 roasted chicken, 1/2 smoked chicken, or a platter full of fried catfish fillets. Each entree is about $10.00 a plate but two or three people could share an entree, and then you still have all the veggies, etc. The vegetables are fresh, homemade cream corn, green beans, and homemade mashed potatoes and gravy. You can eat their light and fluffy biscuits with butter, honey, molasses, or gravy. The salad is simple, just iceberg lettuce but it is so fresh, served ice cold with a delisious sweet/sour dressing.
    As you can tell, I love the place. The waitresses are friendly and when the hokey pokey comes on, they line up in the middle of the room and dance, along with any customers who want to.
    You will probably have to wait unless you go early on a weeknight. I highly recommend going, you won't regret it and you will be very full when you leave!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 07:43:05 (permalink)
    Wow Thanks! And this ad is brought to you by?
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 10:42:27 (permalink)
    http://babeschicken.com/
    No Spurs in the Hot Tub ???
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 14:49:35 (permalink)
    Ohhhh, wait staff and customers dancing the hokey-pokey. How nauseating. One rendition of that would guarantee I'd never return.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 15:22:25 (permalink)
    We freqent the Babe's located in Garland, but we have also been to the one in Roanoak.
    The Garland location is "full service", but the one in Roanoak only serves fried chicken or chicken fried steak. We were very disappointed that they didn't offer the chicken tenders- but the rest of the meal was identical to the family style service in Garland.
    "Enginecapt"- please, get over yourself- the wait staff sometimes also does vocals to the music machine that plays C&W in the background during open business hours with a disco ball going full speed- the younger kids happen to love this part of the meal- in fact, the adults do too! The desserts are awesome too- banana pudding, chocolate meringue pie, coconut cream pie and occassionally pecan pie ( my personal favorite, but only available in season) plus a variety of others. So, yes, Babe's may be hokie but the food is worth it.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 15:34:42 (permalink)
    I live in Dallas. And, although I have never been to a "Babes", I have heard that the fried chicken is
    fantastic. A friend who ate there said, it was the best fried chicken he ever ate. He also said, "make sure you have your cardiologist's phone number on speed dial".
    blee7300
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 15:40:56 (permalink)
    WHERE IS THE CATFISH / GREEN TOMATO RELISH RESTAURANT...CITY? NAME? THANK YOU
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 15:49:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Ohhhh, wait staff and customers dancing the hokey-pokey. How nauseating. One rendition of that would guarantee I'd never return.

I am with you on this one.....................sounds terrible! Give me a break. Sounds plain disruptive to me.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 16:20:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mland520

the wait staff sometimes also does vocals to the music machine that plays C&W in the background during open business hours with a disco ball going full speed- the younger kids happen to love this part of the meal- in fact, the adults do too!
    That part sounds idiotic too, just not as idiotic as dancing the hokey-pokey. I certainly hope this isn't a Texas thing, lest I be forced to change my opinion of Texans.

I'm not surprised to learn they do all that corny, annoying stuff "during open business hours". I'll bet the place is pretty dead during closed business hours.
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 17:54:38 (permalink)
    My wife and I love Babe's. We go to the one in Burleson. Southern living magazine says it's the best in the south. It's all you can eat served on platters. I especially love it during the holidays as the decor is fabulous. for those of you that question the hokiness of the hokey pokey the kids love it and really it's no worse than the places that sing Happy Birthday.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4220
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 17:56:35 (permalink)
    My goodness, people - focus on the food!

It's real, down home good and quite the bargain considering especially the really tasty all-you-can-eat sides. They use "full-size" chickens and they come out pan-fried style with a bare minimum of coating. I really appreciate the syrup jars of both honey and sourghrum molasses on each table.

Yes, I could do without the "Hokey-Pokey". And yes, that one review probably reads like an ad to anyone who hasn't been to Babe's. But every word in it has been our experience, too.

My wife and I have only been to their Carrollton place and then only three times in 2 years. But, whenever I'm hungry and within a few miles of it, a "chiggin dinnah" always comes to mind.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 18:10:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

We like to focus on the entire dining experience here at Roadfood, including, but not limited to, waitresses and customers dancing the hokey-pokey and full speed disco balls during open business hours.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 18:11:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ynotryme
    and really it's no worse than the places that sing Happy Birthday.
    Another practice I despise with every fiber of my being.
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 18:30:05 (permalink)
    boy you sure sound like a fun person. like the people from long island that took their neighbors to court(which the judge dismissed) cuz their kids made to much noise in their backyard swimming pool my suggestion is stick to formal dining instead of family restaurants.
    hep2thejive
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 18:41:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    my suggestion is stick to formal dining instead of family restaurants.

In other words, don't do the hokey pokey, just turn yourself around, and walk right out the door...
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 19:18:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    boy you sure sound like a fun person
    If the definition of "fun" is hokey-pokey dancing and country/western singing waitresses and forced performances of the happy birthday song or that inane clapping seal routine practiced by certain establishments, then no, I'm not a fun person. My idea of dining fun is to enjoy a good meal with family and friends with minimal intrusion and interface by restaurant staff.

quote:
    How about I stick to family restaurants that don't include a hokey-pokey floor show? The happy birthday singing I can ignore, as long as nobody makes the mistake of singing it on my behalf. That's when I get up and leave.

Damn, I hit a few nerves today here at Roadfood. It's turning out to be a perfect Sunday.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 19:24:53 (permalink)
    It's turning out to be a perfect Sunday.
    That's what it's all about ...
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 19:25:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

We like to focus on the entire dining experience here at Roadfood, including, but not limited to, waitresses and customers dancing the hokey-pokey and full speed disco balls during open business hours.

My wife and I moved from McLean, VA to Dallas two years ago. The general racket and "cutsiness" in Texas casual eateries still disturbs us. Texans are honest, hard-working folk who are charmingly bereft of nuance. And they are loud-talkers. And their women feel compelled to cackle loudly at every "bon mot" that drops from the lips of her man.

That said, we tolerate that which is no more than typical in Texas, and enjoy our "chiggin dinnahs" at Babe's.

Incidently, we find Texans far more tolerable than the self-important D.C. cell phone talkers and the incredibly self-absorbed "Washingtonians" who feel compelled to "share" incessantly their petty successes and vile schadenfruede with their fellow diners.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 19:38:06 (permalink)
    I've been to the one in Garland. I don't remember the Hokey Pokey, but I do remember an old fire engine out front.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 19:48:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Ibut I do remember an old fire engine out front.
    Capt perks his virtual ears up.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/24 19:49:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hep2thejive

quote:

In other words, don't do the hokey pokey, just turn yourself around, and walk right out the door...

Well, I am glad that I was warned about this place. You could not get me in there if the meal for the whole family was free.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/25 20:46:16 (permalink)
    Wow.

I danced the Hokey Pokey with my daughter when she was a kid about 100 years ago. She is grown and married now, and lives 2700 miles away, but I would give a kings ransom to relive that Hokey Pokey night long ago.

Frankly 90% of the time a quiet evening with my wife is what I look for in an evening out, but those of you so far removed from the joy of a little hokey pokey that you feel the need to ridicule the likes of other posters, well that is really sad.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/26 05:35:30 (permalink)
    To be perfectly honest, I hated the hokey-pokey when I was a child too. I remember it as corny and embarrassingly silly.

You call it ridicule, I call it expressing an opinion. As long as it doesn't stray into ad hominem territory, which I try to never do, then it's grist for the mill here at Roadfood, so get over the sadness and roll with it my man.
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/06/26 14:45:55 (permalink)
    I've been to the Babe's in Carrollton several times for both lunch and dinner.

I don't recall them singing the hokey pokey while I was there for lunch.

at dinner, they've sung it once each time.
    Timntx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2007/07/01 22:35:43 (permalink)
    I'm not trying to offend anyone...but after eating at the Babe's in Burleson several times, I have to say I think its overated. My wife is crazy about their potroast, but I think their fried chicken is mediocre at best. Just my opinion.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2008/09/27 08:36:09 (permalink)
    An excellent review in the Dallas Morning News brought me back to this thread, the "scene" of my very first post on Roadfood.

Enjoy the review: http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97400&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&item_id=67498

Previously, Babe's was cited in Southern Living for having "the best fried chicken in the South". Even I - obviously a big fan of Babe's - wouldn't go quite that far, but it's doggone good! On a recent trip to their Garland location I had the best hickory-smoked ribs ever. And the slab hung over both sides of an oval plate!
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2008/12/09 02:37:30 (permalink)
    Count this Georgia resident who grew up in Dallas as a Babe's fan. Babe's claims to have the old Youngblood's chicken recipe and I can not gainsay them. I ate at what I believe was the original location on NW Hiway just west of Preston often when I was a kid and also at Fair Park. It was (and is) good fried chicken and I like the country fried steak also.

And the Roanoke location has light fixtures from an elementary school in Dallas which was my polling place when I first voted. My wife's youmger sister and her husband introduced us to Babe's when we visited several years ago. When we are in the Metroplex we think about going to Babe's again.
    waydeg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    RE: Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2009/05/19 14:41:01 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    [id="quote"] Texans are honest, hard-working folk who are charmingly bereft of nuance. And they are loud-talkers. And their women feel compelled to cackle loudly at every "bon mot" that drops from the lips of her man. 

Brother, you don't know what loud is until you marry a New Yorker. And yes, It's my wife and I adore her.
    Most Texans I know are typically outspoken but often soft spoken. I think I'm offended but I'm not exactly sure what "charmingly bereft of nuance" means.  At least they used the word charming.

Babe's is a FAMILY restaurant i.e. okay to bring young kids to. They serve a good meal with no pretense and don't mind the saltine crumbs on the floor.  

ALERT***
    The BEST fried chicken I've ever had (besides my West Texas Grandmother's) is at a place in New Jersey. Yes, New Jersey. Make it a point to get to Delta's in New Brunswick. It may sound like soul food but in Texas, it's just good ol' country cookin'

http://deltasrestaurant.com/dinner.html

tiasmith123
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (4)
    Re:Babe's Chicken Dinner House 2009/05/29 07:47:29 (permalink)
    I have eaten that I like it very much it is just awesome and  me and my family is crazy about it.
    Tia smith
    find lawyer

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1