The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Fri, 06/29/07 12:13 PM (permalink)
I was driving thru Newark last week and noticed all these restaurants that said BBQ. It was a Portugese neighborhood, so I don't think this was good ole Southern BBQ.

Does anyone know what they serve?

Any recommendations?

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
    RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sat, 06/30/07 1:07 PM (permalink)

jerzeydawg

• Total Posts: 167
      RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sat, 06/30/07 2:23 PM (permalink)
      I actually lived in that neighbothood for about 6 years and there are tons of Churrascarias (portugese BBQ).

Most of those places are chicken and rib places where the meats are cook ed over wood charcoals . the meats turn over the hot coals to cook evenly.Usually the meats are seasoned with kosher salt and/or a liquid vinegar & water based concoction. Some use hotsauce .

The dishes are normally served with either/or french fries & yellow rice.

Its pretty good so long as you go to one with a good reputation.

NYNM

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sat, 06/30/07 3:55 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by porkbeaks

I'm still not sure what exactly Portugese bbq is but, while searching, I found these links. pb

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/05/21/nj-dining-newarks-ironbound/

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=87997

http://www.restaurantdb.net/restaurants/view-233716.html

Wow that stuff looks good. Not quite BBQ but seductive in its own way.

Those of us who live in Manhattan and do not have a car (!) which is true of a lot of Manhattanites, can get to Newark via the PATH train for $1.50 (less than the subway!) I may just try it for some good grub.

jerzeydawg

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sun, 07/1/07 11:24 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

I'm still not sure what exactly Portugese bbq is but, while searching, I found these links. pb

Those of us who live in Manhattan and do not have a car (!) which is true of a lot of Manhattanites, can get to Newark via the PATH train for $1.50 (less than the subway!) I may just try it for some good grub.

I'm going to reccomend you to some good eateries there in Ironbound Newark. Starting with "McWhorter BBQ" being that it is walking distance from the train station. Did i mention cheap too? The atmosphere is wood paneling walls and alot of spanish speaking folk. But that doesnt bother me cause the food is good. its basically ribs,chicken steak, or fish cooked over hot coals and served with rench fries.

Here is a map to McWhorter BBQ :http://yellowpages.superpages.com/mapbasedsearch/mapsearch.jsp?SRC=portals&C=Steakhouse+Restaurants&T=Newark&S=NJ&PS=22&PP=N&STYPE=S&L=Newark+NJ&CID=00000509715&LID=0001427328&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=040729602&lng=-074166913&POI1lat=040729602&POI1lng=-074166913&POI1name=McWhorter+Barbecue&streetaddress=104+McWhorter+Street&city=Newark&state=NJ&zip=07105&spad=no

jerzeydawg

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sun, 07/1/07 11:39 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

quote:

I'm going to reccomend you to some good eateries there in Ironbound Newark. Starting with "McWhorter BBQ" being that it is walking distance from the train station. Did i mention cheap too? The atmosphere is wood paneling walls and alot of spanish speaking folk. But that doesnt bother me cause the food is good. its basically ribs,chicken steak, or fish cooked over hot coals and served with rench fries.

Here is a map to McWhorter BBQ :http://yellowpages.superpages.com/mapbasedsearch/mapsearch.jsp?SRC=portals&C=Steakhouse+Restaurants&T=Newark&S=NJ&PS=22&PP=N&STYPE=S&L=Newark+NJ&CID=00000509715&LID=0001427328&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=040729602&lng=-074166913&POI1lat=040729602&POI1lng=-074166913&POI1name=McWhorter+Barbecue&streetaddress=104+McWhorter+Street&city=Newark&state=NJ&zip=07105&spad=no

Pulaski BBQ is another good eatery similar to McWhorter BBQ:
            http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=pulaski+bbq&near=Newark,+NJ&fb=1&cid=40725313,-74157296,14542172761840535877&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

jerzeydawg

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sun, 07/1/07 11:46 AM (permalink)
              quote:

quote:

If you want to go to a good Portugese - spanish style restaurant then go to Tony Da Caneca's on Elm Road :

http://www.tonydacaneca.com/index.cfm?id=13437&fuseaction=browse&pageid=38

They have really tasty dishes and about $8 - $10 cheaper per dish than Fornos of Spain. Same food quality but better price. The dishes were big enough that i'd call the restaurant before i left work to pick up a dish and it was enough for both me and my wife.

jerzeydawg

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sun, 07/1/07 11:58 AM (permalink)
                Here is my favorite brasillian BBQ Rodizeo style restaurant....."Casa Nova" they have two locations . Make sure to go to the one on Adams Str.
                It is much nicer and bigger. the other is more of a bar atmosphere: http://www.casanovabbq.com/

When you go there just order "rodizeo" which is all of the meats (about 12 different ones) in which cool over hot coals. the meats are stacked onto long metal skewers in which look like swords.The meats range from Beef short ribs, pork loin, fillet mignon, top sirloin, chicken legs, pork sausage, pork ribs and so on. the cost is about $22 per person and i believe it is $17.99 at lunch time. I havent been there since i moved a year ago. Believe me. If you only make one trip to newark for food then this is the place you want to eat. unless you want the portugese/spain style food then go to Tony Da Caneca's.

I hope this info was of help.

NYNM

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sun, 07/1/07 1:44 PM (permalink)
                  JDawg: I will give it a try! Thanks for the recommendations.

I wondered if this BBQ is just the same as the Brazilian Churrascarias that have been "chained" around the US and/or if there is a more specific BBQ thing to Newark....

jerzeydawg

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sun, 07/1/07 10:29 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

I wondered if this BBQ is just the same as the Brazilian Churrascarias that have been "chained" around the US and/or if there is a more specific BBQ thing to Newark....

Well the Brasillian BBQ places are the ones that serve "Rodizio" all you can eat meats. Casa Nova is the best one in newark in my opinion. The one on adams street specifically. If i'm not mistaking, there are some brasillian restaurants in midtown manhattan. Somewhere in the mid 40's.
                    I remember seeing advertisements when i went to the brasillian counsel to get my visa.

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                      RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Mon, 07/2/07 9:55 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

Well the Brasillian BBQ places are the ones that serve "Rodizio" all you can eat meats. Casa Nova is the best one in newark in my opinion. The one on adams street specifically. If i'm not mistaking, there are some brasillian restaurants in midtown manhattan. Somewhere in the mid 40's.
                      I remember seeing advertisements when i went to the brasillian counsel to get my visa.

Iberia on Ferry Street is my favorite. The one that I've visited in Manhattan is Plataforma, on 49th Street.

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                        RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Wed, 07/4/07 11:55 AM (permalink)
                        I've passed a place on McCarter Highway (Rte 21) called Manny's...looks like a real roadfood spot...grills outside a storefront. Haven't been able to check them out as I always seem to be in the area too early for them to be open.

jerzeydawg

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Wed, 07/4/07 7:13 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by eggsactley

I've passed a place on McCarter Highway (Rte 21) called Manny's...looks like a real roadfood spot...grills outside a storefront. Haven't been able to check them out as I always seem to be in the area too early for them to be open.

I've passed Manny's BBQ Many times. As curious as i was about the food i was skeptical about a lunch only costing $2.99 and coming from a not so clean looking restaurant.

If you are in that area near lunch time i recomment McWhorter BBQ just on the other side of that train bridge across from Manny's. It's on the corner of McWhorter Str. & Green Street to be exact. Parking is not easy but thats because the place does good busines. Alot of local police and government employees are seen that at lunch hour.

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                            RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Mon, 12/24/07 7:17 AM (permalink)
                            I recently hit Casa Nova for lunch...great place to go when you're really hungry.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                              RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Mon, 12/24/07 4:17 PM (permalink)
                              One heads up if you are thinking of doing this by train. A lot of these BBQ places (or at least the ones in Middlesex County NJ, another hotbed of this cuisine) give you the food in flimsy aluminum trays like you'd get from a caterer. They are not easy to carry other than with both arms supporting them. You might want to consider bringing a big duffle bag or something large and suitable for carrying. They might package it a different way if you ask them, but then you get into the language barrier.

jerzeydawg

RE: Newark, New Jersey (?!) BBQ Sat, 03/15/08 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                I'm going to Casa Nova on Ferry Street in Newark tonight.

I noticed that they have a big banner over the front advertising all you can eat Rodizio (BBQ) for $16.95....Woohoo!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com