Hot!Fried Pizza?

Author
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
2003/08/17 21:00:09 (permalink)

Fried Pizza?

I am posting regarding my husband, who has been driving me nuts with a quest for this for about 20+ years. This type of pizza is made out of regular pizza dough but instead of being baked, is fried in a big skillet of oil, flipped over, and when done, topped with crushed tomatoes instead of pizza sauce and some grated Parmesan cheese. His Italian NJ neighbors used to make it this way when he was growing up and he says there used to be a booth in the Iselin NJ fair that used to make them this way. Many years ago, he found them a couple of times in Trenton, usually in a place that had a sign out front that said “Tomato Pies” but since then, they have had the same kind of sauce but are baked, not fried.

I know they exist because my Italian neighbors used to invite us (along with lots of their other family members) over for pizza on a Sunday afternoon and it was also fried in giant skillets of olive oil and then topped with the smooshed tomatoes and grated mozzarella and Parmesan and baked in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

It would be a Roadfood victory if you know of a place that still makes them this way and I could take him there for our anniversary in October. Do fried pizzas still exist?

31 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1