Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
2007/07/08 17:04:59 (permalink)

Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA

Does anyone know if Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA is still in business? I have some fond memories of the place and the food. Does anyone else have any good Erculini's stories

5 Replies Related Threads

GeoNit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA 2007/07/09 12:21:44 (permalink)

Erculini’s is long gone. When dining in that area after Penn State football games, I usually stop at Off the Rak http://foodpage.us/619856?showmap=1, located abut a half mile off Route 22 in Ebensburg.

Here’s a Washington Post article about attractions in that area of Blair and Cambria counties:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/27/AR2005092701539.html

CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA 2007/07/12 23:37:29 (permalink)
    Certainly one of my favorite restaurants, ever, anywhere. It has been years since I''ve been there but a couple of stories come to mind.

When I was a youth (a long time ago), my family stopped at Erculini's. My younger brother who about 7 or 8 at the time, wanted ravioli. It wasn't on the menu. Mr. Erculini (still at the helm in those days), said that wouldn't be a problem. They would make some from scratch. A bit later, some of the best cheese stuffed pasta you could imagine was brought to the table.

As an adult many years later, I was dating a woman whose parents lived in the Portland, OR area. Her dad was a recently retired engineer, who had worked all other the world during his career. We got talking about cuisines and eating spots and then he said that the best restaurant he had ever been to was, "...in a little town in Western Pennsylvania called...". Before he could finish, I blurted out" ERCULINI's!" He was shocked. How could I have possibly known about Erculinis?

The antipasti and other goodies brought around to sample easily could fill you up even the biggest eaters before they even ordered. And the cheese cart brought around after the main meal was a feast for the eyes, as well as the belly.

That was a dining experience for the ages.

blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA 2007/07/19 15:57:37 (permalink)
    Wow I can't believe it. My family new the Erculini's I think it was Ernie....anyway we are from Pittsburgh and we drove to Altoona to go eat there in the late 1970's. I loved the place and the family. It must be the same right?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    RE: Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA 2007/07/19 16:08:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blue heaven

Wow I can't believe it. My family new the Erculini's I think it was Ernie....anyway we are from Pittsburgh and we drove to Altoona to go eat there in the late 1970's. I loved the place and the family. It must be the same right?

We're talkin' about the same place. People used to drive 100 Miles or more to go there. their Antipasto was to die for! I wonder why they closed? Maybe someone up that way can clue us in?. Maybe it's because all of us moved out of the area! I'm from St Marys PA.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Erculini's in Gallitzin, PA 2007/07/19 18:15:55 (permalink)
    Nice to meet you foodbme....yeah I remember that Antipasto it was great. Keep in touch.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1