Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Great Tasting Chicken & Livers in Indiana

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
  • Roadfood Insider
Great Tasting Chicken & Livers in Indiana Mon, 07/9/07 5:10 PM (permalink)

Today (7/9) Sundancer joined Janet & me for lunch as he passed thru this area on the way to a business meeting in Terre Haute, Indiana. We decided to go to Huber's Family Farm Restaurant, in Starlite, Indiana (about 30 min. N W of Louisville). Huber's is an institution in the Louisville area, sponsoring a number of events like the annual Strawberry Festival, and a Huge Pumpkin Patch in the Fall. The place reminds me a bit of the original (pre-amusement park) KNOTT'S BERRY FARM in SoCal. It started with a family run farmstand and veggie growing garden. It has expanded over the years to include the big restaurant and catering business, a Winery, Petting Zoo, Xmas Tree (u-cut) farm and huge orchards and berry patches .

We decided to try a couple of new items on the menu today, even though they are known for the traditional family-style dinners.

Janet selected a "Strawberry Spinach Salad" with grilled chicken filet pieces . A unique combination for sure. She decided the sliced fresh strawberries added a great flavor to the Spinach and salad greens. The dressing was a Strawberry Vinegarette. She declares it a perfect 10 on a 10 scale!!!

Paul did a fried-fish sandwich with a side bowl of Chicken and Dumplings. Quite a hearty meal ! I forgot to ask his rating of his choices.

For me it was the Fried Chicken (3 dark meat pieces) with about a dozen 'double'Chicken Livers . Sides for me were their great Vinegar dressed Cole Slaw, and some hand-cut French Fries. My Livers were OUTSTANDING. I love Chicken Livers when they are cooked correctly. These had just the right amount of 'Crunch' and yet had the soft texture of good Liver. The Chicken was very good, but the Livers made the meal. I would rank my lunch as a 9 on a 10 scale.

Huber's serves some great 'fried biscuits' hot and yeasty, with all their meals. A fried Biscuit is like an 'unsweetened do-nut', served hot out of the fryer with a squeeze bottle of their locally produced Apple Butter. Our Server, who was as quick and friendly as any I have ever met, made 3 trips back to the kitchen to fetch more of them when she was refilling the beverages for us. I think I counted about 2 dozen of those 'jelly do-nut' sized biscuits disappearing during the luncheon...and our Apple Butter Bottle was empty when we left.

A brief comment about our server. When Paul thanked her for bringing out a third serving of biscuits, She said. "You came here to eat, and I aim to feed you" ! I can't think of a better attitude for food-service folks to express!

All in all, It was a great lunch. Huber's can be hectic during the weekend and when they are celebrating the special events, but on a quiet Monday, we shared the large dining room with about 30 or so other folks, and watched the ducks in the pond and the beautiful Day Lily Gardens as we enjoyed our lunch.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com