The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75

KokomoJoe

• Total Posts: 264
Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Mon, 08/18/03 8:59 PM (permalink)
OK...here goes...Hubby and I now planning our return trip from Cape Cod to FL! We leave MA Sept. 22,2003! So here's some places we'll be traveling and will need suggestions: Rochester NY,Buffalo NY,Detroit MI,then south on Rte I-75 w/ stops in: Cincinatti OH (area), Nashville TN, Macon GA, Gainsville (or Lake City) FL!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew! Tired thinking about it! But we are planning of lots of sights to see and fun to have!! Besides "Roadfood" if anyone out there has sightseeing "must sees" PLEASE chime in!!!!!!!!!Thanks again and love this web site!!!!!!!! BTW I bought the "Roadfood" book! I like it. Wish it had more in it! We've been to quite a few places in there actually! LOL

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
    RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Mon, 08/18/03 9:19 PM (permalink)
    For Cincinnati, stop by the Montgomery Inn location on the river just a few blocks east of the stadiums. Best deal is lunch. Make sure to get pork ribs (the house specialty) as well as saratoga chips and salad withthe house vinegrette dressing.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
      RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Tue, 08/19/03 12:59 AM (permalink)
      Try Nu-Way Wieners in Macon Ga. Haven't been there but it was one of the shops featured in Rich Sebak's A HOT DOG PROGRAM. It looked pretty good.

For some good Nashville suggestions, read the recent thread on Bushie's trip.

In Buffalo NY try Ted's Hot Dogs. The dogs are charcoal grilled to order and the house relish is delish. I love the onion rings too. The real thing. Several locations.

Sundancer7

RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Tue, 08/19/03 4:34 AM (permalink)
        Kokomojoe: I-75 does not go through Nashville. I guess you are planning an alternative route? It does go through Knoxville and straight on to Lake City FL

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

KokomoJoe

• Total Posts: 264
          RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Tue, 08/19/03 6:44 AM (permalink)
          OOOOOps Sundancer is right...I goofed I meant we are going to stop in KNOXVILLE TN. That would be our best bet since that's on I-75!!! LOL Thanks for those responses! And keep 'em comin'! How is that route anyway?? How IS rte I-75 S. from Detroit to Gainsville??? Take care and thanks again! Happy Eating!KokomoeJoe

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Tue, 08/19/03 7:39 AM (permalink)
            Cincinnati- Camp Washington Chili for 5 way
            Detroit- Lafayette Coney Island for Coneys and Vernors Ginger Ale or Any of the Greek Restaurants in Greektown
            Buffalo- Teds For Charbroiled Hot Dogs, The Anchor Bar or Duffs for Wings, Schwabl's or Eckl's for Beef on Weck
            Rochester- Nick Tahou Hots for a garbage plate

Sundancer7

RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Tue, 08/19/03 8:21 AM (permalink)
              KokomoJoe: Now that we know which way you are going I will suggest what I know:

Corbin, KY: Original site of KFC which is now a museum and serves the best chicken of the KFC group. Just a few miles off I-75 and follow the signs.

Knoxville: Buddy's BBQ. Started during the worlds fair of 1982. Great chicken and pork. Hot dogs are good also along with hushpuppies and coleslaw. Littons in Fountain City, suburb of Knoxville has super burgers and great desserts. Bushie when he was in Knoxville went there and he gave them very good ratings. Has been knoxville's #1 burger for years.

While traveling through Knoxville and you decide to go through the Smoky Mountain National Park, Go to Pigeon Forge and stop at the Apple Barn for a wonderful tourist adventure consisting of two restaurants, winery, bakery, three gift shops, candy store. They serve three meals there and their fried chicken is always great. Besure to go to their bakery and get their apple fried pies, coffee and vanilla ice cream.

Honk when you go through.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

seafarer john

RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Tue, 08/19/03 9:24 AM (permalink)
                As you will be passing on I-90 just above the Finger Lakes,I suggest you give yourself an extra day and try some of the local wines. Recommend Herman Wiemer Vineyard on Seneca Lake and Constantine Frank Vineyard on Keuka Lake, but there's about 25 others and most of them are fun to visit.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                  RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Tue, 08/19/03 12:45 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by TJ Jackson

For Cincinnati, stop by the Montgomery Inn location on the river just a few blocks east of the stadiums. Best deal is lunch. Make sure to get pork ribs (the house specialty) as well as saratoga chips and salad withthe house vinegrette dressing.

Gotta respectfully disagree. It's heresy to say so here, but as a lifelong Cincinnatian I have to say that Montgomery Inn is to ribs what kissing your elderly maiden aunt is to sex.

In all my years of travelling and eating, I've never known a more overrated "local favorite." Boiled tough ribs with sweety-sweet tomato sauce, accompanied by soggy potatoes cooked in not-hot-enough oil. Plus, you are treated like livestock being herded through the chute: Maximum headcount per hour is the way of business. Don't waste your time, calories, or money.

Instead, go to Skyline or Camp Washington for Cincinnati chili, to Graeter's for ice cream, and grab a box of Busken Bakery good for the road.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
                    RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Wed, 08/20/03 9:34 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by jmckee

Gotta respectfully disagree.

That's OK, I personally love Montgomery Inn....and didn't much like the two times I stopped in at Camp Washington Chili (both at the now-gone original location). To each his own :-)

Oh, I was also going to recommend a breakfast with goetta, but I never eat that out, preferring to cook it at home. Any recommendations in that regard?

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                      RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Thu, 08/21/03 12:26 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
                      Originally posted by jmckee

Gotta respectfully disagree.

That's OK, I personally love Montgomery Inn....and didn't much like the two times I stopped in at Camp Washington Chili (both at the now-gone original location). To each his own :-)

Oh, I was also going to recommend a breakfast with goetta, but I never eat that out, preferring to cook it at home. Any recommendations in that regard?

I'd rather cook it at home, too....I don't....trust its doneness otherwise.....

retired & glad

• Total Posts: 32
                        RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Fri, 08/22/03 12:57 AM (permalink)
                        We just relocated last fall from living 14 years in Cincinnati. Many great restaurants there. The following might interest you and are close to I75

[1]take I75 north to I275 west on north end to 1st exit Rt 747 north to right turn on Smith Rd [maybe abt 4-5 miles] just around the corner in a strip mall on right is "The Pasta Wagon" 4877 Smith Rd [513/881-2244-kind of a fast food Italian- good food and a great house salad 2 can eat for abt $12-15

[2]take I75 north to I275 west on north end to 2nd exit Rt#4 south[Springfield Pike] go about 1-2 miles to location on right "Vincenzo's" @ 11085 Springfield Pike [513/771-0022 small, no reservations-used to be a gas station, rest rooms outside in back of Rest., great Italian food - 2 can eat for abt $20.

[3]take I75 north to Rt#126 exit east [Glendale-Milford Rd] go east abt 1-1 1/2 miles after just crossing Reading Rd to "La Petite France" on your right @3177 Glendale Milford Rd -great French food but more pricy @ abt $16-25 each but well worth it 513/733-8383

Be sure to visit the Terminal Museum located abt 1 block west of I75 in the old railroad terminal right off I75 in the downtown area {the Ezzard Charles exit, I think].
                        enjoy!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                          RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Fri, 08/22/03 11:55 AM (permalink)
                          Gainesville??!??! WOW! For great pizza I suggest "Satchel's" on 23rd Avenue(off Waldo Rd, which is also called SR301). For a great burger I'd suggest "The Copper Monkey" on West University Avenue! Both businesses are locally owned and operated and serve food guarenteed you won't leave hungry! For a more lavish gourmet meal, you can beat "The Souverign" which is downtown on SE 2nd Ave. More gourmet, "Steve's Americain Cafe", East University Avenue, and "Porter's Downtown", which is, DOWNTOWN! Welcome to Gainesville!

Rusty246

RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Fri, 08/22/03 12:01 PM (permalink)
                            Oops, I mean "The Souverign" CAN'T be beat, and also it's "Steve's Cafe' Americain".....if I could only get in teh habit of proof reading!

Rusty246

RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Fri, 08/22/03 12:03 PM (permalink)
                              I give up, I did it AGAIN......have a great weekend all. The boss is letting us go early!

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                                RE: Trip from MA to FL via NY,MI,OH,TN,GA...I75 Fri, 08/22/03 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                In Rochester,NY (and Syracuse as well), try the DinosaurBBQ.
                                Also Abbott's Frozen Custard.
                                Both have websites, but I am still fighting this virus crap, and was lucky enough to get as far as this webpage
                                DaveM

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com