Corn Tortillas as Snack

Author
lone nut
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
2007/07/11 23:07:54 (permalink)

Corn Tortillas as Snack

I was reading up on corn tortillas lately. Looks like I'll have to buy a press and a bag of masa harina and try making my own. Everyone says the commercial mass produced units are woefully crummy compared to fresh made, and I don't doubt it. Masa is everywhere here in LA, I think a press is under $20. The mass produced disks are OK for enchiladas, or chips, but as a bready sort of snack, fresh is better. There are a couple of trains of thought on warming the store bought tortillas: Steam in the microwave, or heat over a gas burner. I've tried both. Steaming involves wrapping the thing in a moist paper towel and zapping it. The product is good, but this is too cumbersome, and trying to handle the hot paper towel is no fun. I was surprised that just throwing it on the gas burner for 8 sec or so on each side works really well, I thought it would just dry it out. But no, it's fine as long as you don't overdo it. I like butter and salsa on the warm tortilla. Whipped butter is a good idea. In Dallas, you always get warm corn tortillas in a plastic container at the table in restaurants. At least the ones I patronize. And plenty of hot, red, runny (not chunky) salsa, sometimes in pouring devices like those "maple" syrup containers at coffee shops. I'm getting one of those.

10 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1