"dump recipe" soups

Author
Thatchairlady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2007/07/13 14:24:46 (permalink)

"dump recipe" soups

My Grandmother was a great cook and rarely used a recipe. She never made anything fancy. She was the person who taught me cooking basics. If she had a ham bone, it would be split pea or bean soup. With "soup" bones, it was veggie soup. The soup recipes were total DUMP recipes with no specific amount and ALWAYS came out great!

Her pea/bean soup: Ham bone, covered with water in a BIG soup pot. A bay leaf was mandatory. Diced onions, celery and carrots. Dried split peas/white beans, right out of the bag DRY. Once water came to boil, occasionally stir and simmer till thick. Split peas will eventually break down to make what I now call "exorcist" soup. Once the beans are tender, it's ready.

Her veggie soup: Ingredients depend on what you have. Brown some soup meat and bones in a little oil in that BIG soup pot. I like to trim stew meat so pieces are totally bite sized. Once brown, add veggies. Carrots, celery, onion are essential. A big can of some kind of tomato product... sauce, puree, whole peeled. If you have cabbage, add some sliced like for cole slaw or chunked. Could add corn/green beans... fresh or frozen. Whole thing simmers for a few hours. You can add potatoes or some kind of pasta, but wait till last 10-15 minutes or so. Since "recipe" depends on what you have available, the veggie soup can vary pot to pot, but it's always good.

8 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1