Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
  • Roadfood Insider
Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Wed, 08/20/03 1:16 PM (permalink)
Well, we're heading near the end of minor league baseball season and I spontaneously decided to see these two ballparks this weekend. Got a really good deal on a hotel in Reading through priceline, so I'm committed now.

Anyway of course I'm going to try "Old Forge style Pizza in Scranton this Sunday, however I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good Amish restaurants in or just outside Reading for Saturday. I don't care if it's a "tourist barn" just as long as the food is good. Thanks from the Wandering Jew

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
    RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Wed, 08/20/03 1:46 PM (permalink)
    WJ,

Sorry to disappoint, but nearly all of the Old Forge Pizza places are closed on Sunday (and often Monday---most open at 5pm the rest of the week). I can tip you off to something else in NEPA if you'd like just e-mail me.

Stan

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
      RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Wed, 08/20/03 5:10 PM (permalink)
      Haag's Hotel in Shartlesville might be what you are looking for, but call to make sure that it is still open. If I recall, Amish-style food is served, extra helpings are unlimited, and the setting is like something out of another century.

If all else fails, shoot down to Adamstown for beers and steak at Stoudt's, one of the first brewpubs on the east coast and a major player in the industry.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
        RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Wed, 08/20/03 5:26 PM (permalink)
        It's not right in Reading but if you'd like a huge buffet, Shady Maple is not too far away and a nice ride. We've talked about it on one of the threads here but don't remember which. Both the restaurant and market are closed on Sundays.

http://www.shady-maple.com/index.htm

Sundancer7

RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Wed, 08/20/03 5:43 PM (permalink)
          RubyRose: The place looked like a cruise ship buffet. I get in Reading, Lancaster and Philadelphia. I will visit this place. I have been in Blue Balls before and apparently this place is close by. I can't believe I missed it.

Paul E. Smith
          knoxville, TN

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Fri, 08/22/03 7:29 AM (permalink)
            Thanks everyone for your advice. Jpatbweb, I've been to Haag's Hotel a few times and really enjoyed it. I thought I would try something different this time. RubyRose, Shady Maple looks really interesting. I think I am going to go with that. Stan, I tried to e-mail you and got a message saying that my message has been delayed to your inbox? Anyway, I did check with Salernos in Old Forge and they open early, around noontime on Sunday. I am leaving tommorow morning and will report back with the details.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
              RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Fri, 08/22/03 8:21 AM (permalink)
              The Peanut Bar on Penn Street in Reading was always my favorite hangout when I lived there. There is usually something interesting on the menu, not "Amish" though. There was a decent farmers' market on North Fifth St. and one in Shillington- don't know if they are still there.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Fri, 08/22/03 8:30 AM (permalink)
                Wanderingjew, if you go to Shady Maple, try to leave enough time to go to the market next door too. You will find many products that are not usually seen in RI. Also, the gift shop downstairs from the buffet has a wonderful children's section with some unusual items and not overly marked up.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Mon, 08/25/03 9:43 AM (permalink)
                  Ok, I'm back from my trip. I arrived in Reading late Saturday Afternoon. Due to time constraints I did not go to Shady Maple but went back to Haag's hotel instead. They changed their menu around and did not offer cottage cheese and apple butter with the individual meal. Apparently they still offer this with their family style meal. The food was still excellent. Had the Chicken Breast with Filling,gravy, Baked Beans, Dried Corn and Pepper Cabbage. Had the Tapioca Pudding for desert which also seemed to be a smaller serving than the last time I was there. Prices are still the same which is good. The Reading Phillies were playing New Britain and won the game. Standing room only at the ballpark.

On Sunday I went to Salernos in Old Forge for their Old Forge Pizza which they were serving at noontime. I got four slices and it is definetely different from the NY Pizza I grew up on. The crust was "lighter" definetely not as heavy as the NY slices. Almost the consistency of italian toast. the cheese was different (american cheese?) but I felt it over powered the sauce. Overall it was still good. I knocked that down with a Yuengling lager. After lunch I headed to the ball park to see the Scranton Red Barons. They were playing the Syracuse Skychiefs. I did try the Pierogies at the park. They were different than the ones I am used to as they were very crunchy but good. Scranton was winning 7 zip when I left at the end of the 7th inning. Overall a good weekend. Now I hope the weather will be just as good for my final trip of the season over labor day weekend.

stanpnepa

RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Tue, 08/26/03 12:01 PM (permalink)
                    Glad you enjoyed Salerno's. IMHO Revello's remains the definitive Old Forge Pizza and they use Monterey Jack (so I've been told). PA loves its Lager (Yuengling Black and Tan is also recommended).

I hope you enjoyed our stadium. We're hoping the Barons can squeeze out that Wild Card slot.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Tue, 08/26/03 1:24 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by stanpnepa

I hope you enjoyed our stadium. We're hoping the Barons can squeeze out that Wild Card slot.

Nice ballpark. Good selection of food/beer (had the pocono lager at the park) only one, had a 4 1/2 hour drive back to Rhode Island. Nice structure, good location, only one dissapointment....ASTROTURF????!!!!

stanpnepa

RE: Reading Phillies and Scranton Red Barons Tue, 08/26/03 3:44 PM (permalink)
                        Yeah---the park went up in 1988...the end of the "turf" era. I've played in a bunch of charity games there and it's hard to get used to "the bounce" of it. They shoot a lot of fireworks off there, so maybe someday something will accidentally land on the field, and then they'll have to plant.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com