The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Northwest Tour - WA, OR, ID, MT, Canada

lostnthemail

• Total Posts: 427
Northwest Tour - WA, OR, ID, MT, Canada Wed, 07/25/07 10:02 AM (permalink)
We're home!! And I promise to post a day by day report soon. Just give me a day or two to recover and catch up.

Thanks to Mr. Chips for meeting us at Annie's in Portland. Apple Fritters were wonderful!!! He also gave a few tips for sightseeing in the city.

To be continued....

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
    RE: Northwest Tour - WA, OR, ID, MT, Canada Wed, 07/25/07 2:02 PM (permalink)
    I can't wait for your complete report. I'm very envious. I love the Pacific Northwest and Canada.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Northwest Tour - WA, OR, ID, MT, Canada Thu, 07/26/07 7:56 AM (permalink)
      ... standing by.

lostnthemail

• Total Posts: 427
        RE: Northwest Tour - WA, OR, ID, MT, Canada Thu, 07/26/07 9:59 AM (permalink)
        Here goes....so after the nice visit with Mr. Chips (with our bellies full of delicious doughnuts and fritters), we headed toward the International Rose Test Gardens in Portland. I took several shots there & we enjoyed the view of Mt. Hood in the distance. A little disappointed in the Japanese Gardens. Most all the blooming plants were past their prime. Headed east toward the Columbia River Gorge. Took in the view from Vista House and decided to grab a bite to eat at Multnomah Falls. It was about 1 in the afternoon & we really didn't want the $22 brunch, the only offering of the restaurant. We opted for the bar area & appetizers. If service had been good, I would rave about the bread & soup. However, after waiting over 30 minutes for a couple of appetizers I can't do the same moans that Rachel Ray did when she visited there. To their credit, the loaf of bread served with my bean soup was very good - full of whole grains which gave it some crunch which I love.

Took a ride toward Mt. Hood and the fruit loop with all the orchards and fruit stands.

Dinner was in Hood River at Char-Burger. Hubby & I both got steaks and were well satisfied. Salad bar was excellent. (& I know I just lost a few of you who can't tolerate any type bar)

The next notable meal was lunch overlooking Mt. St. Helens. Not expecting much from inside a national site, we were pleasantly surprised. Munched on hamburgers and very crisp fries while we watched the clouds float over the crater. A personal note - Mt. St. Helens erupted the day after we were married.

Had us booked at Almost Paradise Lodging in Ashford, WA. Hubby was holding his breath until he could get a view of the place. I had searched the internet & found this spot. And we all know that photos posted can be deceiving making a storage building look like a spacious cabin. But I'm here to report we were delighted with our cabin. Only wished we had more nights to spend there. Hot tub, vast movie selection, private...could have stayed a month!

Headed to Rainier to get a peak since the cloud cover was minimal. View was excellent. Had dinner at Longmire inside the park. Delicious shrimp pasta and very fresh salads. We weren't disappointed.

Next morning we decided to try breakfast at the Copper Creek Inn in Ashford. Noting there were no grits, we settled for a plate full of eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and toast. I was craving fresh fruit, but couldn't find it listed. Asked our waitress and she provided me with a bountiful bowl of fresh melons garnished with several strawberries. Full once again and headed to a cloudy Mt. Rainier.

While grabbing some fast food in Yakima, we had a conversation with a gentleman from the area. We asked for dinner recommendations for Ellensburg. He suggested the Palace. Not only did we find Ellensburg to be very historic with tree-lined streets, but the Palace was charming. Located in the 1908 Pearson building, the restaurant was full of history. We ordered steaks and were very pleased. Cooked just as we like them, they were very tender & tasty.

Leaving gaps in our travel log only to let your mind wonder on what fast food stops we made..or did we picnic??? I'll never tell.

In Kalispell, MT our motel room's TV greeted us with the news of a tornado warning. Area was without power for about 6 hours. Glad we had grabbed those Cheetos & Pop-Tarts at Wal-Mart. Felt so at home...temps over 100 and tornadoes!

Had lunch in Waterton, Canada at Frank's New Place. Had roast beef & hubby had a safe hamburger. Once again, fries were crisp. Bread was fresh and we were pleased. Hubby was excited to see sweet tea as a listing....Should have know...It didn't taste like our sweet tea. He took one sip and went back to water. I strayed from my diet coke to take a taste and I liked it. Not too sweet and heavy on the citrus taste. Not lemon, but a combination of citrus juice.
        Had to brake several times while in Waterton to allow the deer to cross. They were everywhere. I take tons of pictures when we travel, so I was excited to see the wildlife. Also, an assorment of wildflowers in Glacier. If I only had sense enough to post them

Toured the National Bison Range on our route to Missoula where we saw elk, pronghorns, deer, buffalo and a bear.

Since our son is a wildland firefighter we toured the smokejumpers training site in Missoula. We also noted all the smoke and fire damage in the northwest corner. I'm glad somebody is willing to do it.

I had made another reservation just by internet searches at the Syringa Lodge in Salmon, ID. High on a bluff overlooking the Salmon River valley, the lodge was beautiful. I highly recommend this spot. We were served a bountiful breakfast of eggs, toast, bacon, homemade granola, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, juice, milk & coffee. Our room cost us less than $75 for our stay. Very spacious bedroom with a private bath & balconies overlooking the town. Sipped coffee & diet coke and watched the sunrise over the mountains. For dinner on the prior night we rode back into town & dined at Bertram's Brewery & Restaurant - very old building with plank flooring. Ordered Nachos appetizer as my main course & it was enough for the both of us. Hubby had quesadillas and was pleased as well. Between us, we had a Mexican feast.

Found an Outback in Boise (sorry, not pure roadfood, but we like it) and ordered our favorites - filet, mine with horseradish crown. Also, had a very good meal at TGI Fridays in Atlanta airport. I'm reporting this, because I wasn't expecting it to be very good. We both ordered the chicken, cheese skillet (or something like that) & it was surprisingly good. Sauted onions, peppers with chicken breast with sides of mashed potatoes. Maybe we were just really hungry, but it was very good.

Hope I haven't bored you with my details. Loved the northwest corner of our nation. I can mark off 2 more states on my quest to visit all 50. 44 down & 6 to go.

P.S. Bear with my spelling....spell checker says there are no words to check????

lostnthemail

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
          RE: Northwest Tour - WA, OR, ID, MT, Canada Thu, 07/26/07 11:09 PM (permalink)
          It was a real pleasure meeting Darlene and Mike. We had excellent doughnuts and a great conversation about Mississippi. I'm glad you had a good trip. Visiting Mt. St Helens is wonderful and Mt. ranier is a blast. Congrats on picking up two m ore states and come back soon.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com