The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Sun, 08/5/07 9:42 AM (permalink)
I was dawdling through our local (NE PA) Wegman's yeasterday, and I found these items over by the packaged cured meats; Dinosaur brand baked beans, chili, pulled pork, and meatloaf. I picked up some of each, and have so far tried the beans.

The package is one pound; I would say maybe 25%-35% of that weight is in the sauce, which isn't a bad thing. The overall dish is not really discreet beans and sauce, but more of a paste with beans in it. The flavor is a blend of hot green pepper, brown sugar, and onion; there are bits of bbq'd pulled pork throughout, giving it a real meatiness.

I was really pleased with these beans; the overall impression was of eating Uncle Joe's family recipe beans that he brought with him from Tennessee. There was no hint of it being a store-bought product.

Fans of blander beans might not like these; there is no flavor similarity between these and Campbell's, and even a quality product like Bush's is obviously mass market in comparison. However, if you are a fan of foods that reach out and strike you with flavor, these beans will make you smile.

Not cheap at $2.99 the pound, but worth it. Priced just high enough to keep you from buying 20 pounds to take to the next picnic to pass them off as your own!

Tom

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com