The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Steak shortage hits NY steakhouses

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
Steak shortage hits NY steakhouses Wed, 08/8/07 9:40 AM (permalink)
http://www.nysun.com/article/60032

It seems as though the production of ethanol is having deleterious effects on the prices of steaks. I predict this attempt to become energy dependent will soon negatively influence the price of other foods as well. This article I think only scrapes the surface of what will likely be a greater problem. Perhaps ethanol is not the answer?

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
    RE: Steak shortage hits NY steakhouses Thu, 08/9/07 12:27 PM (permalink)
    Grass fed beef is an option. Cows/shhep/goats are efficient converters of forage to meat. In fact , cattle/sheep/goats usually graze land that is not good for growing crops like corn. That said, a lot of us prefer corn fattened meat, especially when we go out to a nice steak house.

Today, a lot of animals are in feedlots for a shorter time. Some of those animals will produce meat that is not as good as we used to get. The better managers can cut feedlot time and still produce USDA Prime grade beef. Part of the management process is knowing the animals that you put on feed. Different breeds, and cross breeds reach prime at different weights and ages.

Corn is expensive, but wet distillers grain is cheap (but expensive to transport, and subject to fast spoilage). We are , IMO, gong to see more feed lots next to ethanol plants. Those feedlots will be the low cost producer.

unabashed

• Total Posts: 435
      RE: Steak shortage hits NY steakhouses Fri, 08/10/07 2:40 AM (permalink)
      what is so wierd about this wife and i went shopping today went to martins then to sunnyway then to hoffmans meats....
      EVERY PLACE had steak on sale and roasts all beef sale in my area.....
      (hagerstown md/greencastle pa)
      ron

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Steak shortage hits NY steakhouses Fri, 08/10/07 8:51 AM (permalink)

I Think...and it is just a WAG on my part... but with the price of corn rising, and the drought conditions in many 'pasture areas' livestock growers may be reacting by selling off more than the normal amount of animals at this time.

Of course we may be eating the Chinese version of Beef...God only knows what critter that might be??

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
          RE: Steak shortage hits NY steakhouses Fri, 08/10/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
          There is beef and there is beef. From what I understand it is only the top 1 pct (restaurant quality prime) that is in short supply. I got some very good sirloin tips , for example, on sale last weekend at 2.99 lb.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
            RE: Steak shortage hits NY steakhouses Fri, 08/10/07 8:12 PM (permalink)
            Not to worry, Al Gore and the good folks in Hollywwood will still be able to get the prime beef.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com