The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Dallas to Vegas and Back

TxTee

• Total Posts: 8
Dallas to Vegas and Back Wed, 08/8/07 1:09 PM (permalink)
This will be my first post here. We went to Vegas for business - and I had watched the Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives show, and had The Four Kegs map bookmarked. But, during the drive, I used the laptop and found this forum. As we approached Flagstaff I found a post here about Ms. Zips. And Voila - there it was on the side of the road. Been down that road many times and never saw it because it was surrounded by cars. The food was great as promised. Ham on croissant with crunchy coleslaw, just right. I tried the pie but was not impressed. I don't need pie anyway : )

While in Vegas we ate at the 4 Kegs twice. The pizza, chicken fingers, humongous chicken Caesar salad were all great as was the waitress. There was a TV wherever they had a flat space to hang it. All on mute. Everyone in the room (small room 3 groups) were there from out of town because of the TV show. The waitress said they had been swamped. One of the things I liked was the front doors - they had two. One was covered with age restriction warnings. Also said, After midnight use the other door.

The other door said Ring the Bell after midnight. They never close. The pizzas are halfprice before 11AM.

We ate also at the Coffee Cup in Boulder recommended on this website. It was my intro to Huevos Rancheros. Not being an egg fan I had never tried it. It was wonderful. I left about a third, and didn't eat again til the evening. The hubbie had a stack of pancakes that kept him stuffed til evening. We got their homemade cinnamon rolls to go.

When we awoke in Albuquerque, we sought out the Frontier Restaurant as recommended on this forum. It is still there, and still wonderful. The tortillas will make you sing - I ordered beef tacos (no eggs) and dh ordered pancakes (again). I will definitely go there again, and would be wearing their t-shirt, but by the time they had earned the privilege of adorning my body, two busloads of people had walked in and lined up. We got the lace-thin oatmeal cookies for the road. Very chewy and thick with butter. mmmmmm

Other food consumed: $2 chili dogs and ice cream from the hotel snack stand. Power bars and Chocolate. Market is definitely a food-deprivation experience, so you have to pack it in when you can. No food from morning til 6 pm. Or another way to look at it: I'm not going to spend $7 on a plastic bowl of wilted lettuce, or $5.00 for a hotdog(normal size).

Results:

Pancake eater gains 5 pounds
Me - I lost 2 pounds

Things to steer clear of: The open-walled restaurant in the Golden Nugget. Haven't tried the noodle shop there.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
    RE: Dallas to Vegas and Back Wed, 08/8/07 1:15 PM (permalink)
    A trip report right out of the gate. we'll have to keep an eye on you...Great job tj!

Sounds like all went well. Don't forget to take pictures next time

Welcome to roadfood.

TxTee

RE: Dallas to Vegas and Back Wed, 08/8/07 1:27 PM (permalink)
      I forgot another "steer clear". The Owl in albuquerque is just too expensive for the muddled food. Of course the pancakes are good - but you see what they do to you?

On my last ever trip there, I got an "Indian Taco" which was essentially a taco salad. It had spare meat in it, and on special it was $9.00. Not good enough to finish.

TxTee

RE: Dallas to Vegas and Back Wed, 08/8/07 1:30 PM (permalink)
        Thanks everyone and Hello - we have to go to NC twice a year too. I've got my list : )

We can take the Northern route through Tennessee or the Southern route through Alabama.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Dallas to Vegas and Back Wed, 08/8/07 3:50 PM (permalink)
          Tjwright

Welcome to Roadfood!

Thank you for posting your trip, we are gald you found us, and look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com