The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.?

QCrazy

• Total Posts: 25
Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 3:13 PM (permalink)
I live in South Carolina and I tried Sicilian style pizza once and was hooked. There was a place in the Magnolia Mall in Florence that was the best. Ever since I have been wondering why something so good doesn't seem to have the same following that New York or Chicago styles of pizza. Where are the great places for Sicilian. Is there anything near South Carolina. Any and all comments are welcome.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
    RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 3:31 PM (permalink)
    Most Italian restaurants, if pizza is on their menu, usually sell both thin or Sicilian (thick). If they don't, just ask them to make it, Sicilian style. Macaroni Grill has Sicilian on their menu. I wish I had ordered it. I didn't like what I did order. If you can't find it, Come to think of it, just buy a can of good pizza sauce, I recommend Don Pepino, a Bobuli pizza shell. add toppings. Bake as directed.

QCrazy

RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 4:38 PM (permalink)
      That sounds a little simplistic. Are you telling me that all thick crust pizza is basically Sicilian? The pizza I had came with incredible fresh buttery crust, a rich tomato sauce and lots of good quality mozzarella cheese. The slices were cut into the square style that I thought was signature for Sicilian. Anyway it wasn't some commercial quick pizza by any means. It tasted entirely fresh made by a guy who looked and sounded like he came from the old country. I wish I could find pizza anywhere that is half as good as that was.

ynotryme

RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 4:54 PM (permalink)
        Basically, yes. Of course. sauces and dough varies but basically, it boils down to Neapolitan (thin) vs Sicilian (thick).

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
          RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 5:04 PM (permalink)
          I have a good Sicilian friend and his version has the toppings baked into the crust as well as added on top. Also, he never uses mozzarella cheese...only a pecorino. Everytime I've had it at his house it has anchovies as well.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
            RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 5:47 PM (permalink)

Sicilian at Ray's Famous Pizza in Scottsdale, AZ.

DD

QCrazy

RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 6:15 PM (permalink)
              Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little better informed now. I guess I just like thick pizza in general. Whether it's a pie slice or a square, I like it thick. I wouldn't turn away a good slice of thin though. Pizza is a great invention.

ynotryme

RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Wed, 08/8/07 6:35 PM (permalink)
                Pancho you and I are both right. Sicilians make it like you said, toppings baked in the crust with just Pecorino and anchovies. American pizzeria's make it as a thick crust pizza with mozzarella and additional toppings.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                  RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Thu, 08/9/07 3:02 PM (permalink)
                  I'm a "thin" guy. Before I croak I want to get to New Haven and try a slice of the clam. You know I can taste it now and know I would like it without ever having tried it!

JBarry713

• Total Posts: 243
                    RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Fri, 08/10/07 1:18 PM (permalink)
                    Sicilian is thick (crust) compared to Neopolitan (thin crust). It should be noted that unlike other thick pizzas, such as Chicago deep dish, the thickness in Sicilian is derived from the bread itself, not the excess toppings and cheese. It is also usually cut square. I haven't been there, but L & B Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn is supposed to have a very good Sicilian in which they specialize - I imagine that it would be better than the pizza you have down in South Carolina.

QCrazy

RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Fri, 08/10/07 3:01 PM (permalink)
                      I'm sure it would be better. There aren't any established Italian communities or businesses where I live. We have decent barbecue but no pizza to speak of. That's one thing I think I would really grow to love if I lived in the Northeast. It would be nice to have a good corned beef sandwich once in a while also. That being said if there are any Italian families looking to move to the Florence area of South Carolina, come on please. There is a fairly well established Greek community here and I love Greek food. The welcome mat is out though. Come on down.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
                        RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Fri, 08/10/07 8:24 PM (permalink)
                        In the Chicago area, "Sicilian" Pizza is sold in Italian bakeries along with the pastries and cookies. The pizzas are a bread dough baked in a rectangular pan with sauce and a little cheese. They can also have sausage and sometimes pepperoni. I always get a square or two when stopping for bread and cannoli.

HPlatz

• Total Posts: 103
                          RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Fri, 08/10/07 11:23 PM (permalink)
                          Very filling stuff. Two slices of a good Sicilian pie is usually plenty for me. That stuff in the photo above looks fantastic! I never had a bad slice of pizza in my life. It's just that some are better than others.

ynotryme

RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Sat, 08/11/07 12:19 AM (permalink)
                            QCrazy, you should really try to make your own
                            http://www.recipepizza.com/doughs/sicilian_thick_crust.htm
                            Opinion has it that the water in NYC is the reason their pizza is so good. It comes from mountain lakes in the Catskills. You may want to try different waters. As far as sauce, I make a great pasta sauce but I use Don Pepino for pizza.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Sat, 08/11/07 12:54 AM (permalink)
                              Hiway Pizza in State College, PA : excellent sicilian pizza!

unabashed

• Total Posts: 435
                                RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Sat, 08/11/07 1:56 AM (permalink)

QCrazy

RE: Where is the best Sicilian around the U.S.? Sat, 08/11/07 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks for the link ynotryme. I think I will give it a shot. I will post my results when I finish.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com