The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What do you order in a good restaurant ?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37
rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? Thu, 08/23/07 10:29 AM (permalink)
Generally when I go out to eat, I will order some type of seafood, often non-farm raised salmon. This is because I rarely eat beef, and I get a lot of pork chops and chicken at home, so I tend to stay away from these items when I eat out. There are, however, a couple of exceptions to this general practice. First, as mentioned by other posters, if a place has a signature dish I will often order that. If I go to Stroud's in Kansas City, for example, I'm going to order fried chicken, even though I try mostly to avoid fried foods and even though I eat a lot of chicken at home. Second, if I'm trying a place because of a recommendation from a friend or a good newspaper review, I will often try a dish that is recommended by the friend or by the review.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? Thu, 08/23/07 12:41 PM (permalink)
    When I eat out I generally go for the sandwich menu and my wife the salad menu. We skip the entrees if the restaurant is average with no creativity. Why? Rarely do I find service to justify the high cost of eating out. I think it is because almost all restaurants are casual affairs with people in shorts, Tevas and polo shirts now. The service is equivalent in most places. Maybe I was young and impressed 40 plus years ago. There were certainly fewer sit down restaurants then but it was a coat and ties and dress affair and the wait staff was professional with ceremonial manners and proper etiquette in bringing and presenting the food. That was part of the deal you were paying for. The experience. Now you can get an expensive meal and a waitron with spiked hair, nose rings, tattoos, dirty apron and gum chewing reaching over dropping plates on your table and delivering main courses almost before you begin eating your salad. So when I get great service I am generally more impressed than the food.

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
      RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? Mon, 08/27/07 1:22 PM (permalink)
      If I am inanethnic restaurant, I pretty much do what GB944 does. I ask the waitperson to ask the chef what the chef would fix for his favorite grandparent that was coming to visit from their country of origin.

Most times I get something that is not on the menu, and a visit from the chef, inquring as to how I liked what was presented. Haven't had a bad meal yet, have had some strange things. Howver, once I got a cheeseburger and fries at a Korean place we have frequented. The chef came out and said that is what his 85 yr.old Korean grandmother ate for almost every meal when she came to visit. We had a good laugh about that, as I got exactly what I asked for.When I went to pay the bill, I was presented with a huge container of Korean ribs, and kimchee - no charge.

seafarer john

RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? Wed, 09/5/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
        For starters, we rarely have cocktails at a resturant, preferring to have them at home, or when traveling, in our hotel room- both because of the excessive price in most places and the poor quality of the vermouth and gin available in most places.

After that, we'll order the house specialty or I'll order something relatively unusual off the menu that I know I'll never get at home,and probably wont ever again find in another restaurant.

We usually share a desert with coffee,and rarely order after dinner drinks.

Cheers, John

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
          RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? Thu, 09/6/07 11:55 PM (permalink)
          Steak tartare is the dish that I would not dare make at home...just am wary about the meat that I could buy. I trust the higher end places to have good meat suppliers.

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
            RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? Fri, 09/7/07 1:57 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by tacchino

Steak tartare is the dish that I would not dare make at home...just am wary about the meat that I could buy. I trust the higher end places to have good meat suppliers.

You can choose absolutely the best to have ground up, but, what was ground in the grinder before?

eatingteam

• Total Posts: 186
              RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? Sat, 09/8/07 2:10 AM (permalink)
              The biggest steak they offer. I can't stand small expensive portions. I went out because I wanted to eat, not be impressed by the way it looks but by the way it could fill me.

Tony

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com