The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Seafood

donnablue

• Total Posts: 15
Seafood Wed, 08/22/07 10:15 PM (permalink)
Got to try a new recommendation from the Roadfood. com site today. It was Mabel's Lobster Claw in Kennebunk, Maine. Two of us went for lunch. Got the clam chowdah (I'm a New Englander), fried scallops and fried native Maine shrimp. The chowdah was smooth and creamy and the ample amount of clams were tender, not chewy. The fried scallops were those huge, succulent sea scallops with a light batter and loads of flavor! Much tastier than those little bay scallops some places serve. The native shrimp were small, but also packed alot of flavor for this shrimp lover. We are RV travelers now, but love to come back for that great New England seafood!!! When in Southern Maine, give Mabel's a try! Donnablue

essemjay58

• Total Posts: 134
    RE: Seafood Wed, 08/22/07 11:53 PM (permalink)
    Wecome to Roadfood, except I will have to wait for your CIA investigation to ensure you are not just going for free advertising for your lobster shop. (snicker)

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
      RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 6:34 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by essemjay58

Wecome to Roadfood, except I will have to wait for your CIA investigation to ensure you are not just going for free advertising for your lobster shop. (snicker)

Geeeeeez, Poor Donnablue!
      I will vouch for her that she isn't advertising. She's just sharing a tip she liked which she got FROM THIS SITE. (Sorry about the jerks donnalue, I promise the nice guys outweigh them!)

Donnablue if you disappear I won't be surprised, but I do hope you stick it out and ignore people like this.

Another suggestion is to look for forums that are already about the topic you want to talk about and chime in! Starting new threads I have suspected is a bit frowned on with newbies (I have only started one myself) and I think the fact people *do* post just to advertise (I've seen 'em but they often get removed) is another issue.

So, stick it out and I hope you'll find some discussions to join that talk about the places you love!!!

p.s. donnablue I'm adding a link to a thread started by a newbie who got a good response, just fyi... it might make you feel better!
      http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21826
      okay and one more...
      http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21832
      this is a thread that's a trip report where a bunch of RFers got together, but read the WHOLE thing and you will know for sure there are some very very good people on here. Promise.

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
        RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 7:22 AM (permalink)
        Cecil,jay58 was making a joke. notice the (snicker) he put in at the end.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 8:19 AM (permalink)
          I envy all you east coast people for the availability of fresh seafood.I probably have never really had any, being from the midwest.Thanks for your mini review donnablue, and welcome to the Roadfood community!

cecif

RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 8:24 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by exsquidao

Cecil,jay58 was making a joke. notice the (snicker) he put in at the end.

A snicker is not a joke, it's snide. A chuckle or laugh is a joke, IMO.

sammur

• Total Posts: 138
              RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 8:44 AM (permalink)
              http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21686

Looks like this has happened before to donnablue. See above

cecif

RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 10:59 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by sammur

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21686

Looks like this has happened before to donnablue. See above

Yes, hence my response(s).

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                  RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 3:08 PM (permalink)
                  donna - welcome to RoadFood.

You are lucky to experience the fresh seafood. The freshest seafood I get is when I go on vacation to FL (about a 6 hour drive). I did experience some great seafood in PC Beach, FL a few weeks ago. I am a big grilled shrimp fan and absolutely love crab legs. My one desire is to come to Main and have a lobster roll.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                    RE: Seafood Thu, 08/23/07 3:19 PM (permalink)
                    Come on people! Firstly accused of advertising for her pizza place in Ohio, now a lobster shack in Maine! What's next.....a burger joint in CA?

I have been to Kennebunk many times and there's good seafood all around....plus the town is very lovely. Yes, the native Maine shrimp are small, as are our Alaskan ones but they sure are sweet!

Zman and I plan on doing the same RV lifestyle.....heck, we're practically doing it now in a little pop-up camper! Enjoy your travels!

wwiz

• Total Posts: 4
                      RE: Seafood Sun, 08/26/07 5:27 PM (permalink)
                      I went to Mabels last year and tried the fried scallops, lobster roll and steamers. Excellent lunch it was.

LegalLady

• Total Posts: 404
                        RE: Seafood Sun, 08/26/07 5:30 PM (permalink)
                        Welcome toRF Donna. You can RV to Nebraska anytime if you bring me some of that seafood!!

Da Judge

donnablue

RE: Seafood Sun, 08/26/07 5:35 PM (permalink)
                          You guys can sure be tough to take sometimes. I have said so many times that I am a traveling RVer and I'm also new to this forum, but NOT to the RF book, which is our travel "Bible". I've just wrote about places we've enjoyed lately, I'M NOT ADVERTISING!!! Anyway, if it was not for ceciflinn and a few other nice people, I might leave these forums and go back to my cruising forums (yes, we take cruises, too), where the posters are FRIENDLY!
                          We travel all over this beautiful country in our RV, so I am apt to write about a food stop ANYWHERE!!! Being new at this posting, I'm not sure how to put photos in. The seafood place I wrote about was on the RF site as a new restaurant. I was just fortunate to get to try it and thought somebody might want to know what I thought of it. Being a native New Englander, I feel I know good seafood when I eat it!!! Anyway, thanks to the NICE people out there. I'll come back because of you...........Donnablue

donnablue

RE: Seafood Sun, 08/26/07 5:47 PM (permalink)
                            Thanks to sassyGritsAL, wwiz, and legalLady for your nice comments. We haven't "done" Nebraska" yet, but we have been to Alaska, and loved it! Donnablue

cecif

RE: Seafood Sun, 08/26/07 7:34 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by wwiz

I went to Mabels last year and tried the fried scallops, lobster roll and steamers. Excellent lunch it was.

A warm welcome to you too, wwiz!
                              Hope you won't think all threads look like this. Donnablue must've caught a few folks having bad hair days...

Keep pluggin Donnablue!! I've used the Sterns' books since the 1980s too and this website since it started, but I only joined in the forums this year.

donnablue

RE: Seafood Fri, 08/31/07 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                Hey again, Cecif, my biggest supporter! Thanks. Went back to Mabel's in Kennebunkport, Maine to take my sister there. The big hits this time were: the fried scallops (again), crunchy onion rings, half real crabmeat/half lobster rolls, clam chowdah (again), and the fried clams. Also tried another Roadfood place there later called the "Clam Shack". We only got the fried clams 'cause we weren't that hungry yet. Anyway, they were lightly battered, crunchy, and not chewy. And this coming from a person who doesn't really like clams 'cause of the bellies! Can't wait to visit there again because of the highly toted lobster rolls. Last night we visited the "Weathervane" in Sanford, Maine for their $20 twin lobster special. This is a chain restaurant so is not up to par with the "Mom and Pops" that the Sterns rate, but it was still good. The lobsters were soft shelled at this time of year, so not as good as the hard shelled (claw meat is too soft). August is not the best month for lobster ( "those who know" rules say it should be months ending in "R"!!!)
                                But, the tails were tender and tasty, and hubby really liked his "Fish and Chips", which were quite a bargain at $6.99. Have a Tasty Labor Day Weekend!!! Donnablue

cecif

RE: Seafood Fri, 08/31/07 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                  Mmmmm donnablue, you make me lok forward to my return to New England!

donnablue

RE: Seafood Thu, 09/6/07 9:13 AM (permalink)
                                    Well, folks, we leave Sat. AM for two weeks in St. Maarten! Time share exchanges. I know for a fact that the French side of St. Martin has a seafood restaurant where the shrimp are fabulous! The shrimp are almost as big as Lobster tails, and they split them and grill them. Then they served them with a little melted butter. Yummy! I will report back and give you the name and if they are still as fabulous as they were last time we visited! Happy seafooding! Donnablue

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                                      RE: Seafood Thu, 09/6/07 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                      Donnablue,

Tell me your are not taking that RV to St. Marteen..........this crowd will really get suspicious!! LOL Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

donnablue

RE: Seafood Thu, 09/6/07 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                        Naw, we gotta get out of the RV once in awhile (of course, then we have to store it somewhere 'cause we're not home yet). Our other vacation/traveling LOVES are Cruises, and exchanging our two FL timeshares for more exotic places! Thanks for your well wishes. Keep eating that seafood! Donnablue

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Seafood Thu, 09/6/07 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                          Welcome Donnablue.
                                          Thanks for your contributions.

donnablue

RE: Seafood Thu, 09/6/07 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                            Thanks for the kind words. Keep enjoying that seafood wherever you are!!! Donnablue

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com