The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Steak N Shake breakfast?

Laughing Goddess

• Total Posts: 89
Steak N Shake breakfast? Wed, 08/27/03 11:46 PM (permalink)
I guess I must always go to SnS later in the day because I never noticed that they had breakfast. I like Waffle House -- is it as good as that? Here's a link to their breakfast menu:
http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/breakfst.asp

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
    RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Thu, 08/28/03 8:59 AM (permalink)
    Don't know how it compares to Waffle House, but S&S is pretty decent for breakfast, nothing spectacular or fancy but a decent value.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
      RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Thu, 08/28/03 11:01 AM (permalink)
      Our Steak and Shakes don't serve breakfast here, but personally, if I can't have hash browns like Waffle House makes, I'd rather skip it. Love S&S burgers and fries though!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Thu, 08/28/03 11:31 AM (permalink)
        FRISCO MELT...Morning ...Noon...OR Night !!!!!

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
          RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Sat, 11/15/03 2:06 AM (permalink)
          Waffle House hash browns RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad there are no Waffle Houses in Wisconsin.The cheesy hashbrowns I had at a brunch were out of this world. I couldnt get enough of them.

skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
            RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Mon, 11/17/03 12:31 PM (permalink)
            I have to weigh in here with my own humble opinion of S&S breakfast. A new S&S opened in our neck of the woods several months ago, and a friend and I decided to try it for breakfast. One of my favorite breakfasts is a Denver omelette, and the closest thing I saw on the menu was a Cheddar Scrambler, so that's what I ordered. The "scrambler" part was okay, scrambled eggs with sausage, peppers, and onion, but the 'cheddar" part was awful. It was a bright orange color, and tasted like paste. The coffee was so strong that I went so far as to ask the waitress (very nicely) if it had been made for a while, and was told that no, their coffee is just very strong. Okay, strong coffee I can handle, but not coffee that's been sitting on a burner plate for an hour or so, which is what this coffee tasted like. The waitress poured a fresh pot through, and it tasted the same. So I can't really recommend S&S for breakfast.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17803
              RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Mon, 11/17/03 12:38 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by skylar0ne

I have to weigh in here with my own humble opinion of S&S breakfast. A new S&S opened in our neck of the woods several months ago, and a friend and I decided to try it for breakfast. One of my favorite breakfasts is a Denver omelette, and the closest thing I saw on the menu was a Cheddar Scrambler, so that's what I ordered. The "scrambler" part was okay, scrambled eggs with sausage, peppers, and onion, but the 'cheddar" part was awful. It was a bright orange color, and tasted like paste. The coffee was so strong that I went so far as to ask the waitress (very nicely) if it had been made for a while, and was told that no, their coffee is just very strong. Okay, strong coffee I can handle, but not coffee that's been sitting on a burner plate for an hour or so, which is what this coffee tasted like. The waitress poured a fresh pot through, and it tasted the same. So I can't really recommend S&S for breakfast.

I can't recommend Steak & Shake for anything. I've tried it several times because my grandson likes it, but when I take him now I just order coffee while he eats. By the way, I don't know where you are, but in the East, and here in Ohio, a Denver is called a Western.

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
                RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Mon, 11/17/03 12:40 PM (permalink)
                The Cheddar Scrambler is a good value, but in the last year or so, S&S changed their hash browns to a coin shaped version that is not very good. They need to go back and then I might.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                  RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Mon, 11/17/03 2:13 PM (permalink)
                  The SnS near me is a 24hr operation so after they opened we tried it at 6am on the way to work on a week day. No one else was in the place except the help who were all sitting at the counter drinking coffee and smoking. We sat awhile before the waitress reluctantly came over to take our order. Can't remember what we ordered, I think one was baiscuits and gravy which was bland. The waitress never returned for more coffee, we had to go over to them to get our check and have never returned. I drive by it to and from work each day and I notice that it's still 24hrs but drive up only at certain times. Too much work to bus tables I guess.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                    RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Mon, 11/17/03 9:18 PM (permalink)
                    Much of this confirms my opinion about S&S--i was not impressed with the dinner so i cant imagine breakfast would be any different.Just seems to be a general lack of professionalism--which i am told was not always the case--sad

wallhd

RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Mon, 11/17/03 10:07 PM (permalink)
                      As is the case with so many chains, the local management accounts for much of the variation between one location and another. For example, a few years ago I flew into St. Louis on a morning flight. After picking up my rental car I noticed an S&S (which we don't have back East, so visiting one is usually a real treat for me). I went inside with the intention of ordering b-fast and, while they were moderately busy, Wally won't wait 15 minutes for a menu, not to mention not getting waited on, you get the picture, so off I went. Poor local management, I'm sure.

Two days later though, I had breakfast at an S&S in Branson, MO and it was just fine.

Wally

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                        RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Fri, 12/26/03 10:53 AM (permalink)
                        The litany of dissapointing Steak and Shake stories doesn't surprise me. When Knoxville's first one opened on its main drag in the late 90s, there was huge interest. Same here in Lexington, Kentucky 3 or 4 years ago.

I can honestly say I've never had a very good experience at either one. The burgers usually had sizable chunks of bone in them, and the milk shakes always contained slivers of ice (no one could tell me why). I didn't like anything else they sell and quickly stopped fooling with them.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Fri, 12/26/03 11:00 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by JimInKy
                          I can honestly say I've never had a very good experience at either one. The burgers usually had sizable chunks of bone in them, and the milk shakes always contained slivers of ice (no one could tell me why). I didn't like anything else they sell and quickly stopped fooling with them.

I believe you can get slivers of ice in your milk shakes because they use frozen milk as their base.

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
                            RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Sun, 02/27/05 7:32 PM (permalink)
                            I tried S&S last night for the first time and was only midly pleased. While the place was clean, the wait staff was very nice and responsive, the food was marginal. I had the All American Platter and while the sandwich was okay the chicken noodle soup really sucked. I did like the shoe string cut fries, however. My wife made no comment on her chicken sandwich, which tells me she wasn't impressed one way or the other.

Don't figure I'll be going back as my curiosity has been satisfied

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Sun, 02/27/05 10:24 PM (permalink)
                              I am a Steak and shake fan -- for burgers.

I was in Orlando a few weeks ago, spooted one at breakfast time (across from McDonalds, Denny's, Shoney's and I don't know how many other chains. I was alittle hungry ... Sooooo, I did SnS.

It didn't suck.

Yet, I would have done anything to be at my (new) favorite chain breakfast -- Farmer Boys ... but I couldn't afford the time for the commute to one.

In the end: SnS is better than most chian-choices for b'fast (IMO.) Still I'd still rather find someplace perfect back there for b'fast. (I'm still open for suggestions, I'm back next week.)

Tristan Indiana

• Total Posts: 328
                                RE: Steak N Shake breakfast? Wed, 04/13/05 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                Steak N Shake used to have really good fried biscuits which you could pour maple syrup over and have a tasty breakfast. I've haven't seen them on the menu for a long time though. I never found anything else that was out of the ordinary for breakfast besides that so I don't go there now.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com