The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Lake Forest Pastry Is No More

M&M

• Total Posts: 106
Lake Forest Pastry Is No More Thu, 08/28/03 2:44 PM (permalink)
It appears that Lake Forest Pastry in St. Louis is no more. A local news report last week detailed the disappontment and panic among a number of brides to be who had ordered wedding cakes. A terse telephone message informed many that their orders would not be filled and that a refund might be forthcoming. No word as to what led to LF's demise.

I always had mixed feelings about Lake Forest. On the one hand they had perhaps the best gooey butter cake in the city and their other pastries added not a few pounds to my frame over the years. On the other when I went there I always thought it wasn't the most friendly place in the world. The long term employees - and there seemed to be no other kind - wore uniforms like nurses. They hardly ever smiled and I always thought there was some secret password that I didn't know that would get them to warm up a bit if I could only stumble upon it. But you had to give 'em credit, they were great bakers. Too bad we have apparently seen the last of them.

It seems that St. Louis used to be filled with bakeries but only a few remain. I suppose like many family run enterprises the kids move on, the competition from big grocery chains (despite the lower quality product)gets tougher and neighborhoods lose an attachment to their local bakers, barkeeps, hardware stores, etc.

Sad, sad, sad.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com