The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs

No Ketchup

• Total Posts: 6
'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Sun, 09/9/07 2:41 AM (permalink)
Over the weekend, Chicago Hot Dog Tours enjoyed the company of a lovely group of Swedish tourists who, after chowing down on Chicago's finest, seemed dissapointed that "'tunnbrödsrulle" was nowhere to be found...
The Swedes rank up there with the Irish and Germans when it came to building this city out of a swamp, so if you can't find a Swedish style dog ( covered in mashed potatoes, sprinkled with fried onion and wrapped in a sturdy flatbread) in Chicago then where...?

Anyone seen or enjoyed this Scandinavian style back here in the States?

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
    RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Sun, 09/9/07 3:48 AM (permalink)
    Damn that sounds good.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
      RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Sun, 09/9/07 10:12 AM (permalink)
      The Swedish tunnbrodsrulle consists of two hot dogs wrapped in a thin bread roll dressed with a dollop of mashed potatoes, complimented with ketchup, mustard, onion, pickled cucumber, lettuce, and creamy shrimp salad dressing. Steff Houlberg, owned by the Tulip Foodservice Company in Denmark supplies over 30 varieties of Danish hot dogs and sausages aka "polsen." Depending on the region, polsen are served in traditional hot dog buns, enclosed hot dog buns, and flat bread buns. Polsen are dressed with various condiments as French fried onions-similar to our French's canned French fried onions, bacon bits, relish, raw onions, pickle chips, ketchup, mustard, and a special mayo based remoulade which contains mustard, onions, and relish. Some are wrapped with bacon. As a Chicagoan living in Racine, WI, home of the original Danish Kringle, I learned to make authentic Danish style hot dogs using a Dutch potato hot dog bun, dressed with mustard, onions, relish, pickles, Holland remoulade (a condiment used on pommes frites), French fried, onions, and bacon bits. The mayo based remoulade and the cruchiness of the French fried onions, just don't work for me. I prefer the crunch of a cold kosher dill pickle along with the famous "snap" of a natural casing hot dog. I'm sure others will love the Danish style dog. Here's a video of a Danish hot dog vendor: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJuJ_AQqqA&NR=1 That first bacon wrapped dog looks might good to me. I like that enclosed bun with the condiment (remoulade) injected in the top and the dog served in a bag. Many Danish dogs are consumed out side the bun and dipped directly into the condiments.

CSD

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
        RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Sun, 09/9/07 12:40 PM (permalink)
        We used to be able to get those Danish-style hotdogs when we lived in the Virgn Islands. The Virgin Islands used to be owned by Denmark, till the United States bought them in 1917, and Danish influence still abounds.

No Ketchup

• Total Posts: 6
          RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Sun, 09/9/07 1:14 PM (permalink)
          CSD - you mentioned a "Viking Dog" in N.Y... I'm guessing that is the Danish style you so lovingly described?

I'm interested in the true Swedish "tunnbrödsrulle". Have you ever seen one in the wild? With the current rise of haute dogs in Chicago (Hot Dougs, Fredhots, et al) I hope that someone might take a chance and offer one up.

Buying one from in Stockholm from a vendor similar to the guy in the video was one of the most memorable food experinces from my backpacking days... the thing weighed a ton - a two-fisted sodium nitrite and banana split!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
            RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Sun, 09/9/07 6:42 PM (permalink)
            The Viking Dog was on the F&B Restaurant menu in Chelsea, NY, a while back. Their new menu features a Great Dane Dog which is a pork sausage garnished with a mustard and ketchup dressing, pickled cucumbers, and roasted onions. Hot Doug's & fRedhots offer an array of gourmet sausages. I've sold a natural casing, apple and gouda chicken saugage, garnished with fresh gouda and apple mustard. This combination blends well and was well received by those who purchased one. However, I'm a firm believer in the one ingredient restaurant philosophy. When customer approaches my cart, they expect a Chicago style hot dog and offering a specialty sausage, only creates an unnecessary competition on the menu. Therefore, I only vend hot dogs. If I were vending specialty sausages, like Hallo Berlin in New York or Biker Jim in Denver, I'd add a Danish polser to the menu.

CSD

Iswede

• Total Posts: 2
              RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Thu, 07/16/09 11:02 PM (permalink)
              Danish hotdogs are great.. but as a Swede I have to say they are not the same as True tunnbrödsrulle! The above youtube video is a danish pölse stand.  I have been to F&B in Chelsea. That's a danish version.

Here is the only youtube video I could find. However even the video author admits they left out some of the ingredients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcRGi5beN-Q

I found a good picture...
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/aree/3319509860/

Since it's illegal to import fresh sausages to the USA. You need a swedish butcher in USA. I think dried style sausages from Italy somehow don't draw ire of FDA. Anyway.. scandinavian sausages are banned in USA.

Other than that you can get most other ingredients at IKEA!

Iswede

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Thu, 07/16/09 11:09 PM (permalink)
                FYI literal translation of tunnbrödsrulle is "thin bread roll" Essentially fajita or wrap style bread, though a lot more flour.

You can get them anywhere in Sweden at street stands. Some of the stands get exotic (competive differentiators) and switch up the various types of sausage, gravlax or even reindeer meat!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  RE: 'Tunnbrödsrulle' aka Swedish hot dogs Fri, 07/17/09 1:32 PM (permalink)
                  Actually, Iswede, my friend from Italy couldnt bring the pepperoni back with him to the states-he had to smuggle them.It was because in Europe, they allow their meats and cheeses to grow mold, which actually makes them taste better.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com