The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor)

EJXD2

• Total Posts: 36
Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor) Wed, 09/12/07 4:38 PM (permalink)
I'll be traveling from St. Charles, Missouri, to Kansas City on I70 on Sunday (9/16). Can anyone recommend a good breakfast place (the closer to St. Charles the better, I guess, since I'll be hungry!

I'm willing to go about 30 minutes out of my way and don't mind navigating rural routes if necessary.

Thanks!

Jim Ross

• Total Posts: 314
    RE: Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor) Thu, 09/13/07 12:18 PM (permalink)
    The 63 Diner in Columbia- never had breakfast but it should be good. Lunches and dinners I have had there were always great and it's a fun place.

http://www.the63diner.com/Breakfast.html

md

• Total Posts: 8
      RE: Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor) Fri, 09/14/07 10:24 AM (permalink)
      JJ's restaurant in St. Charles has a pretty decent breakfast offering. Typical diner style breakfast foods and inexpensive, but with a large variety to choose from. Their gravy for biscuits & gravy is very peppery if you like it that way. We have not had a bad meal there. It's a place that the locals gather, we see the same people there all the time.

It is located on Duchesne Dr., just north of West Clay. This is north of I-70, maybe 1/4 mile at the most, and between the Hwy 94 and Zumbehl exits. There is massive construction at 94 & 70, so I would go to the next exit which is Zumbehl, make a right off the ramp and an immediate right onto West Clay which is also the north service road at that point. Go back east on West Clay for maybe 1.5 miles (bad judge of distance!) and Duchesne Drive is at a stoplight just past an apartment complex on the left and there is a used car lot on the NW corner of the intersection. JJ's is right behind the car lot. They serve breakfast until 1:00pm on Sundays, and I think they open at 8.

Might see you there! As this is my first post, I want to state that I am not affiliated with this restaurant in any way, other than a 2x a week customer.

The only other place in St. Chuck that I would recommend is Ginghams, which is on Hwy 94, about 1/4 mile south of I-70. However, the construction in the area would make it very difficult to get to, and since it is next to 3 churchs, Sunday mornings are extremely crowded. It was recently sold, and the quality and service has dropped several notches.

There are not a lot of places that serve breakfast other than fast food and chain buffets in St. Charles. That is one thing that is sorely lacking here - and this area is full of people that love to eat out!

There is a truck stop on the right in Foristell, west of Wentzville, but I have not eaten there so I can't vouch for the food. Other than that, I can't think of anything worth stopping for between St. Charles and Columbia, and there's not much between Columbia and KC either. I second the recommendation of 63 diner in Columbia! Good luck and drive safely!

Amas

• Total Posts: 2
        RE: Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor) Tue, 09/18/07 1:50 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by md

JJ's restaurant in St. Charles has a pretty decent breakfast offering. Typical diner style breakfast foods and inexpensive, but with a large variety to choose from. Their gravy for biscuits & gravy is very peppery if you like it that way. We have not had a bad meal there. It's a place that the locals gather, we see the same people there all the time.

It is located on Duchesne Dr., just north of West Clay. This is north of I-70, maybe 1/4 mile at the most, and between the Hwy 94 and Zumbehl exits. There is massive construction at 94 & 70, so I would go to the next exit which is Zumbehl, make a right off the ramp and an immediate right onto West Clay which is also the north service road at that point. Go back east on West Clay for maybe 1.5 miles (bad judge of distance!) and Duchesne Drive is at a stoplight just past an apartment complex on the left and there is a used car lot on the NW corner of the intersection. JJ's is right behind the car lot. They serve breakfast until 1:00pm on Sundays, and I think they open at 8.

Might see you there! As this is my first post, I want to state that I am not affiliated with this restaurant in any way, other than a 2x a week customer.

The only other place in St. Chuck that I would recommend is Ginghams, which is on Hwy 94, about 1/4 mile south of I-70. However, the construction in the area would make it very difficult to get to, and since it is next to 3 churchs, Sunday mornings are extremely crowded. It was recently sold, and the quality and service has dropped several notches.

There are not a lot of places that serve breakfast other than fast food and chain buffets in St. Charles. That is one thing that is sorely lacking here - and this area is full of people that love to eat out!

There is a truck stop on the right in Foristell, west of Wentzville, but I have not eaten there so I can't vouch for the food. Other than that, I can't think of anything worth stopping for between St. Charles and Columbia, and there's not much between Columbia and KC either. I second the recommendation of 63 diner in Columbia! Good luck and drive safely!

Amas

• Total Posts: 2
          RE: Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor) Tue, 09/18/07 1:55 AM (permalink)
          Wow we eat at Ginghams very frequently and I think they have the best breakfast hands down. When the new owners took over we were a little nervous the good food would change but I think it has been the same great food and they have really cleaned up the restaurant. We have the same great waitress every weekend and she is the sweetest thing.

md

RE: Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor) Tue, 09/18/07 9:06 PM (permalink)
            We have been Gingham's customers for about 17 or more years, about as long as they have been around. I used to work for the previous owner, John, way back in the early 70s when he was a manager of a McDs. I agree that the new owners have cleaned it up, but in the 3-4 visits we have made since the ownership change, the service has been extremely slow and the food has come out of the kitchen lukewarm. The last visit, the servers were more interested in talking about people and acting silly than waiting on customers. I will always like their breakfast, especially the omelets, but it is just not the same as before. Also, they will no longer make the Monte Cristo sandwich they used to have - which was the reason I would go there for dinner or lunch! Even after John took it off the menu, they would still make it if asked.

md

RE: Breakfast in Missouri (I70 corridor) Tue, 09/18/07 9:10 PM (permalink)
              So, EJXD2, where did you eat - and what is your opinion?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com