The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Weekend in Chicago

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
Weekend in Chicago Mon, 09/17/07 12:54 PM (permalink)
Sorry no pics with this one but thought I'd share my weekend of eating in Chicago with everyone.

We got in on Thursday morning at Midway and I headed right for the Nuts on Clark to get a 1 lb bag of cheesecorn. I also got carmel this time so we could compare both flavors to Garretts which we picked up later that day on Michigan Ave. In a blind taste test two people picked Garretts for cheese and one picked Nuts on Clark. Everyone agreed that the Garretts was a little bit greasier. Carmel was also split two to one. Basically, they are both very good and much better than anything I have had anywhere else.

We headed to Tempo Cafe for a late breakfast/early lunch. Three people got omlettes and I got corned beef hash. The turkey and swiss omlette was the highlight. For those that have not been there or read the Roadfood review, it comes in a skillet with fried potatoes on the bottom. The hash was good but not spectacular. Seemed liked canned which I like but not as good as the omlette. Luckily, my wife was very generous with hers.

Dinner on Thursday was at the Gino's East on Superior just east of Michigan. We got two pizza's, one pepperoni and one with the sausage patty. I liked the sausage one the best. I've never been to a Gino's East before and I will have to rate it near the top of all the deep dish we have tried. I've been to Giordano's and Uno, and a place called D'agastino's for deep dish as well as the now closed Gino's on Rush (not affiliated with Gino's East) which was my favorite. The crust just tasted fresher and defnitely not hurried like at Uno's. When they are pumping out pizzas in under 30 minutes you know it isn't made from scratch when you order. This one took the whole 45 minutes and I could tell a difference in the taste.

For Breakfast on Friday I used the wander around the hotal neighborhood technique. We stayed at the Hilton on South Michigan so there was not a lot to choose from that was real close by. I ended up at a place called Cafe Mediterra right in front of the Dearborn Station. It was very good. I got the Hobo breakfast which was shredded potatoes, tomatoes, onion, peppers, with 3 over medium eggs on top and side of salsa. Everything was fresh and even the salsa was homemeade. It came with some grilled sourdough toast that was also good.

Friday lunch was at the Shedd aquarium and was nothing special. After that though we went to the Navy Pier and I got a Chicago dog at one of the food courts. I don't remember the name of the stand but it might have been American dog or something like that. There were hot dog vendors outside with Vienna Beef signs but all they were selling were plain dogs with ketchup or mustard.

Dinner Friday was a big Italian beef at Portillo's. As always, it was excellent and had a good amount of hot peppers. Could have been a little juicier but still very good.

Saturday breakfast was at Yolk about 3 blocks south of our hotel on Michigan. About a 10 minute wait to get in. It reminded me of Frist Watch here in Ohio. A breakfast and lunch only spot with a lot of choices from variations on eggs benedict, to ommlettes, to crepes, to healthy options and all types of pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc. I got the eggs benedict that had sliced grilled tomatoes instead of the ham and crumbled bacon on top. It was good and the hollandiase did not taste like it came from a package which was nice. Everyone else got corned beef has which again looked a lot like Mary Kitchen but it was tasty.

Due to having to find a place to watch Ohio State play Washington I had both lunch and dinner in a Lakeview bar on Southport named Cullen's (I did leave for a couple of hours in between meals). Lunch I just got a sandwich but for dinner I got the Beef pastie which was like a big beef and pea filled turnover. The highlight there, again ordered by my wife, was the mac and cheese. It was little soupier than I like but the Irish cheddar they used was very flavorful.

So that was it. Sunday was a travel day and my diet starts today.

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
    RE: Weekend in Chicago Mon, 09/17/07 1:46 PM (permalink)
    My suggestions for Chicago are:

1) Deep Dish: EDWARDO's they have a couple locations and very fresh ingredients

2) Regular Pizza; HOME RUN INN. They have (I think) 2 locations, on the southwest side... BUT worth the travel, cause it is awesome pizza

3)Bakery Pizza : Pompeii (on Taylor St.) Some of the best, served cafeteria style.

Breakfast Choices:

1) WISHBONE (100 N. Morgan /approx.) Just plain good and different.

2) SWEET MAPLE (1350 W. Taylor) another Chi-town winner

Lunch:
    Real Chicago Hot Dogs:

1) The VIENNA BEEF FACTORY (2500 N. Damen)
    Eat with the Guys and Ladys that make'm. The best !

2) WIENNER CIRCLE (2500 N. Clark) Great Dogs, awesome Cheese fries and a top Notch burger.

Beefs:

1) BOSTON's (2800 W. Grand Ave) Good and juicy

2) AL's ( on Taylor St) Good but stightly small sandwiches , since they became famous

3) BUONA BEEF ( Mostly in the subuirbs ) but they can compete !!

A Real Chicago Lunch:

1) MANNY's (1150 S. Jefferson)... just go and TRY to figure out what you want... that is the hardest part... a little bit pricey for lunch, but ususally you are so stuffed you cannot eat dinner!

Tempo , Gino's are tourist traps and lack a real Chicago experience. I for one, do not know why people still go there, but to each his own.

I am glad you enjoyed Chicago, stop at these places next tme and you will want to move here! PROMISE

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
      RE: Weekend in Chicago Mon, 09/17/07 4:03 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the suggestions for the next trip. I can see calling Gino's East a tourist trap. I knew that going in but we wanted deep dish and were in the area and we are not ofund of Giordano's. Plus I liked it. But I am not sure I would put Tempo in that category. I have been there multiple times - orginally on the advice of a local - and to my admittedly untrained eye, I would say that a majority of the people in there are not tourists. I don't go there every time I go to Chicago but I will definitely keep it in the rotation.

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in Chicago Mon, 09/17/07 4:13 PM (permalink)
        I certainly wouldn't call Tempo Cafe a tourist trap. But I might be biased because I really enjoy the place. I have never had anything less than an excellent breakfast there.

hatteras04-
        Thanks for the nice report!

PamF

• Total Posts: 23
          RE: Weekend in Chicago Fri, 09/21/07 2:51 PM (permalink)
          I don't see any mention of Lou Mitchell's for breakfast (in the 500 west block of Jackson Boulevard....west of the Sears Tower and west of Union Train Station). A mainstay for eons. A bit pricey but you get a ton of food and it's good. If there's a line, they give you donut holes and Milk Duds to help make the time pass.

And strange as this may sound, they have the best water (they filter it so it tastes strangely different).

Would have been a little hike from your hotel (about 7 or 8 blocks due west) but you would have needed the walk back to recoup!

jenfire777

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: Weekend in Chicago Sun, 09/23/07 8:05 PM (permalink)
            Last time we went to Chicago we hit a place called Pavone's (out by O'Hare airport) nice little Italian place with the best cheesecake ever and great atmosphere. Also went to Gene and Junes for a dog and that was quite an experience!! Great food at both places.

Going again next weekend and will definitely go to those places again.

Also went to Giordano's for the Chicago stuffed pizza and didn't care for it--a ton of cheese, very heavy! I don't know if all stuffed pizza is like that but too much for me.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
              RE: Weekend in Chicago Mon, 09/24/07 7:12 AM (permalink)
              We started our WB Route 66 trip this past weekend in Chi-town. (I will post trip report later.) Went to Superdogs, but they weren't open yet. We had a pretty good dog at Henry's in Cicero right on 66.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                RE: Weekend in Chicago Mon, 09/24/07 7:47 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Oneiron339 We started our WB Route 66 trip this past weekend in Chi-town. (I will post trip report later.) Went to Superdogs, but they weren't open yet. We had a pretty good dog at Henry's in Cicero right on 66.
                The aforementioned Lou Mitchell's is a Route 66 Icon!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                  RE: Weekend in Chicago Mon, 09/24/07 2:46 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by jenfire777

Also went to Gene and Junes for a dog and that was quite an experience!! Great food at both places.

I think you mean Gene and Jude's

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                    RE: Weekend in Chicago Tue, 09/25/07 4:26 PM (permalink)
                    no, lou mitchells restaurant is 10 feet from the historic start of rt 66, theres even a sign out in front telling you

jenfire777

RE: Weekend in Chicago Fri, 09/28/07 2:59 PM (permalink)
                      Yes I did mean Gene and Jude's--thanks! Just had lunch and Harry Careys and I must say for all the hype I was not impressed. Food was OK (chicken vesuvio rated "best in Chicago"...I don't think so). The fried potato chips on the tables were good, but service was slow, food OK but definitely not worth what we paid. Glad we were there at lunch, at least it was a little cheaper... Going to Gene and Jude's tonight to make up for lunch today. :)

Sundancer7

RE: Weekend in Chicago Fri, 09/28/07 3:27 PM (permalink)
                        I recoginize that Giordanas's is a chain but I have always enjoyed their deep dish pizza even though it takes about 30 minutes to get it. I always get their small and I cannot even finish it.

I am sure that there are others that are better but it sure was very good.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

jenfire777

RE: Weekend in Chicago Sat, 09/29/07 11:58 PM (permalink)
                          OK--didn't make it to Gene and Jude's after all :( but we did get to Pavone's. I would highly recommend this place if you are in the mood for a nice little Italian place (on Irving Park Road not too far from O'Hare). The chicken vesuvio is out of this world and we had spumoni gelato for dessert that was the best dessert I have ever tasted!!! What a party in my mouth! :) Nice atmosphere and everything I have tried there has been excellent.

PamF

• Total Posts: 23
                            RE: Weekend in Chicago Mon, 10/1/07 5:27 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Oneiron339

We had a pretty good dog at Henry's in Cicero right on 66.

Henry's...a meal in a bun....great hot dogs.

ChiTownDiner

RE: Weekend in Chicago Tue, 10/2/07 9:00 AM (permalink)
                              Henry's has been around a long, long time. Great place to start your trip. Nothing fancy, down and dirty - sorta like Route 66.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com