Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics)

Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
2007/09/26 11:31:19 (permalink)

Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics)

We journeyed to Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore for the third time this season in hopes of catching the fall colors at their peak. Though spectacular I believe we may have been about 4 or 5 days too early. Our previous trips included the Boundary Waters Canoe Area around Ely, MN and the Gunflint Trail.

See http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20686

On this trip we stayed almost exclusively on Highway 61 along Lake Superior.

When you travel Highway 61 you are encountered by many state parks and waysides. So naturally we pulled over on one wayside to capture this photo of the Split Rock Lighthouse.

Then a little farther up we stopped at another wayside that happened to have a coffee shop. On the bridge across the road was this typical cascade toward Lake Superior. This was the Cross River.

The Cross River got its name from Father Baraga's Cross. Father Baraga was a priest from Yugoslavia. He had set sail in a small boat from Wisconsin's Madeline Island intent on heading to Grand Portage but got blown off course and landed safely in the protected waters of the Cross River. A wooden cross was erected on the site and later replaced by this granite cross.

We made it to our first destination, the Grand Marais, MN Municipal Campground around 1 PM and picked this site that looked over the harbor.

With our afternoon free we headed further up the highway to a park we are familiar with, Judge C R Magney State Park across the road from the Naniboujou Lodge, a place we had stayed numerous times over all four seasons. Our destination was a hike up the Brule River to the Devil's Falls and Kettle. On the way we encountered this.

The falls were overwhelmed with flow. Normally you can see half the falls go into the Devil's Kettle (a hole) to come out further downstream. There was so much flow you could not discern the kettle unless you had been there before. It is on the left at the top.

Getting up close was spectacular.

This fellow was poised to go into this cauldron. We watched him as he charged the falls and did a few rolls and then finally headed down stream.

This forum is about food so maybe it is time to get back on track. After hiking all afternoon in the woods we were naturally hungry. We went back to one of our favorite places, the Wild Onion Cafe in Grand Marais. I had the B2LT consisting of the usual BLT suspects plus strips of Kobe beef. Nancy had the Rueben. Both came with homemade chips.

The next morning we got up early and walked into Grand Marais at sun up. Our first destination was the World's Best Donut where we got ourselves some treats and much needed coffee and walked over to the beach.

A donut was not going to sustain us for another full day of hiking so we walked back to the Blue Water Cafe for a real breakfast.

Nancy ate ala carte with hash and eggs. I opted for the full bore Angler's Breakfast consisting of two eggs over easy, hash browns, sour dough toast and a whopping breaded Walleye.

Now we were ready for hiking. Our first stop was the Cascade River State Park where we first hiked up the Cascade River to the obligatory falls that tumble out of the mountains down to Lake Superior all up and down the North Shore.

But we also wanted to see fall color. As I mentioned on the North Shore we were perhaps early but over the mountains colors were in peak. So we hiked up to Lookout Mountain in Cascade River State Park on part of the Lake Superior Hiking Trail. 1,600 feet up we got what we came for.

After Cascade River we had a whole afternoon ahead of us so we drove to the Canadian border 50 miles further up the highway to Grand Portage State Park. Beyond the sign you can see the border crossing.

This is what we came for. The Pigeon River is the boundary between the United States and Canada. Just a short half mile hike in you come upon this tallest waterfall in Minnesota with a 120 foot drop. The US is on the left and Canada on the right.

That evening we took in another favorite place, the Angry Trout Restaurant adjacent to our campground. I had the pork tenderloin medallions and Nancy had the breaded herring. They were served with salad and wild rice.

We got up early the next morning and thought we would take a small hike at the Municipal Campground. It turned out to be a very rigorous hike up deep woods rocky hill. The reward was this overlook of Grand Marais harbor.

With that behind us we still had a 1-1/2 mile hike up and back to The Pie Place on Highway 61. Believe me it was well worth it. My breakfast was the Caribou Eyes, the classic egg in the hole fried eggs in the center of two pieces of homemade bread topped with cheese, sour cream, and salsa served with a wedge of hash brown pie. Nancy had the Northern Sausage Benedict consisting of English Muffin halves topped with maple sausage patties, poached eggs, and cheese sauce along with the hash. This breakfast was clearly the winner.

But wait! This is the pie place so we had to imbibe. We split a Maple Apple Cream pie. Now that we have had pie at Betty's Pies, the Rustic Inn and The Pie Place, I can say without a doubt The Pie Place in Grand Marais is the winner.

It was time to head back to the Twin Cities after two nights on the North Shore. On our way back we stopped at Gooseberry Falls State Park for one more hike. Right on the highway is the ever popular main falls.

We decided to hike up to the 5th Falls back in the mountain. On our way we encountered this interesting mushroom.

We made it to the 5th Falls about a mile into the forest walking along the Gooseberry River.

We had one last stop at Russ Kendall's Smoked Fish in Knife River between Duluth and Two Harbors. We bought some smoked trout and salmon spread and then headed for home.

We may have one or two more trips north yet this year. One again in October at the end of the season and then one again when winter closes in for some snowshoeing.

28 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 11:57:06 (permalink)
    Nice. Very nice.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 12:05:47 (permalink)
    That is definately some beautiful scenery even if you were early for the color change.

That Maple Apple Cream Pie looks awesome, I am going to research it and make it for turkey day.
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 12:30:39 (permalink)
    I like the mushroom photo a lot!

The photo from Lookout Mountain reminds me of the view at Lake of the Clouds in Michigan's UP.

Keith
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 12:39:20 (permalink)
    Looks like I'll be adding this to our list of hiking trips, thanks to your eye-popping pictures! Thank you so much.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 14:36:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for your post! We have spent many fall seasons along the North Shore and in Grand Marais, this brings back many wonderful memories.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 15:00:25 (permalink)
    It has been many years -- 17, I think -- since I have been in that area -- Grand Marais, the Gunflint Trail. I went at the end of spring -- it looks very lovely in the fall.

And that Maple Apple Cream Pie -- WOW! Was it as delicious as it looks?
    Leania_1stone
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 16:55:19 (permalink)
    My gosh those are some beautiful pictures and I totally want a pice of that pie!!!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 17:06:48 (permalink)
    Gorgeous, man. Yeah, I gotta second the wow on the Maple Apple Cream pie. The World's Best Donuts *and* the Blue Water the same morning for breakfast--you guys are doing it right.

If I may ask, what kind of camera do you have? Really beautiful pictures.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 17:37:10 (permalink)
    my favorite posts are like yours...............photos of the beautiful scenery you have seen, the things you have done and some of the terrific looking Roadfood. Just as Michael and Jane Stern said "This is what Roadfood is all about."!!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 18:33:33 (permalink)
    Yes, the Maple Apple Cream pie was superb and probably one of the best pieces of pie I ever had. Since it was breakfast we really did not need pie but since it was the Pie Place we decided to share that one. We tried to get in Sunday evening but they closed at 5 PM, closed Mondays and open again Tuesday morning for breakfast. So that was our only chance. There are three pie places on the North Shore. The most famous is Betty's Pies just north of two harbors. Further north in Castle Danger is the Rustic Inn. Betty's Pies seems to get the word of mouth publicity and Rustic Inn really out does them. You have to travel 70 miles farther north to find The Pie Place and it is not an imposing place at all with a gravel parking lot. My judgment is The Pie Place is in a league of their own and best in the country perhaps. They have several selections to choose from and we will definitely go back again maybe this fall. Rustic Inn would be second and Betty's Pies third.

It is about 1-1/3 miles outside Grand Marais proper and this is the sign. See Lake Superior at the end of the highway?

And this is the unimposing restaurant.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/26 18:39:29 (permalink)
    The camera I use is a simple point and shoot camera that I can carry in my pocket everywhere. It is a Canon Digital Elph SD850 IS with 4X optical zoom and 16X digital zoom. The IS stands for built in Image Stability that makes taking digital zooms such as 16X possible like this.

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/27 07:12:57 (permalink)
    Great pics and review, thank you.
    mnrunner70
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/27 10:19:05 (permalink)
    Davydd, fantastic photos, and an excellent report. My entire family lives on the North Shore, and with the exception of the Blue Water Cafe, I have been to every place you reported on.

I had the very same Rueben and homemade chips at the Wild Onion Cafe earlier this summer (loved it). The Pie Place is a fantastic spot for lunch as well as breakfast, and it is deserving of more press than it gets. And Russ Kendall's has some of my favorite smoked fish on the Shore (their lake trout, in particular). Great stuff.

There is a lot of good food going on up there. You did an excellent job capturing it! Many thanks for the report.
    QCrazy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/27 10:27:46 (permalink)
    We camped out at the state park at Split Rock and loved it when we lived in Minnesota. It's an amazing place with interesting stops along the way up.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/27 18:28:22 (permalink)
    I have made the trip around Lake Superior three times. I have spent the night in Thunder Bay twice. That is a wonderful trip and the food selection all the way around is very good. I have spent the night in Duluth about five times. I truly enjoy the area.

Good Pics.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/27 22:42:29 (permalink)
    Fantastic report and pics. Reminds me of how much I miss traveling in that part of the country.
    HPlatz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/27 22:52:30 (permalink)
    Those photos are spectacular. You have a talent, my friend.
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/28 00:47:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

We journeyed to Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore for the third time this season in hopes of catching the fall colors at their peak. Though spectacular I believe we may have been about 4 or 5 days too early. Our previous trips included the Boundary Waters Canoe Area around Ely, MN and the Gunflint Trail.

Davydd :...Thanks for sharing this with us. It's good to know that some of us here on Roadfood.com really do take road trips...................... and share
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/09/28 09:31:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HPlatz

Those photos are spectacular. You have a talent, my friend.

229 snaps over three days and the Minnesota North Shore scenery had a lot to do with it.
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 610
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/10/04 14:58:22 (permalink)
    Davy thanks so much for a great road trip report, I am so itching to go for my family's little road trip up to Marquette on the 19th to visit DD at college!
    I really wish we could take a few more days and keep on going up the coast- darn that workplace!
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2442
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/10/04 15:21:42 (permalink)
    Davydd,

Love those pics, especially the one of the foliage at the top of the trail. Reminds me of hiking in the Adirondack Mountains in Central NY. Excellent report!!!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2007/10/04 16:45:43 (permalink)
    "SIGH"
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2008/10/21 12:58:07 (permalink)
    Davydd, Thanks for the link to this report.

This is Life Magazine/National Geoghaphic quality stuff. It reminds me that I need to spend more time in our Country's interior.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1098
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2008/10/22 07:48:48 (permalink)
    Great report. One question though that is not food related. Do you have any pictures of the inside of your RV? My wife and I have just recently gotten into the camping thing. We currently have a 19 foot travel trailer but my long term goal is to get something like yours. I just wanted to get an idea of how roomy it is inside.

Again great pics and makes me want to go camping now.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2008/10/22 09:53:13 (permalink)
    Fantastic photos. I hope someday to spend more time in that neck of the woods. I had no idea there were so many wondrous waterfalls in Minnesota.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2008/10/22 12:10:57 (permalink)
    hatteras04,

I have a website photo gallery showing the interior in detail as well as some of the many stops we've made.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Vacations/Pages/Pleasure-Way.html

The major manufacturers of Class B motorhomes are Pleasure-Way, Roadtrek, Leisure Travel Vans, Great West, Sportsmobile, Airstream and even Winnebago now. You can Google and go to their websites for more info.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1098
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2008/10/22 12:57:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

hatteras04,

I have a website photo gallery showing the interior in detail as well as some of the many stops we've made.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Vacations/Pages/Pleasure-Way.html

The major manufacturers of Class B motorhomes are Pleasure-Way, Roadtrek, Leisure Travel Vans, Great West, Sportsmobile, Airstream and even Winnebago now. You can Google and go to their websites for more info.

Thanks. Great pics. Looks like a comfortable way to travel. Right now we are sticking with the travel trailer for at least another year. After that, who knows.

Thanks again.
    AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour (Pics) 2008/10/29 11:55:13 (permalink)
    Awesome pictures! I live in Indy but was up there in June camping with a friend. We rented the 4th hike in camping site at Split Rock. Loved it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1