The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

New Orleans to Chicago

gstafford

• Total Posts: 2
New Orleans to Chicago Wed, 09/3/03 6:50 PM (permalink)
Hi, I am going to be travelling straight north from New Orleans to Chicago along I-55 and I-57. I really want to hit any and all good roadfood stops along the way. I have never done this drive before, and would appreciate any recommendations. Thank you!

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
    RE: New Orleans to Chicago Thu, 09/4/03 1:08 PM (permalink)
    gstafford, right off hand I can't think of any restaurants right along I-57 in southern IL, but if you had time for small off highway jaunt, I'd recommend turning west off I-57 at Benton, IL, and running over to Christopher for one of Maid-Rite's unique sandwiches and its delicious pie or for either barbecue or catfish at Larry's Barbecue there. See my 7/14/03 post under "Long Gone Regional Chains" in "Miscellaneous" forum for more info. You could also turn off I-57 at Marion and head west toward Carbondale to try at "The Pioneer" (believe its name is) a few miles down the road, one of its family style fried chicken dinners. If you had more time, even more enjoyable would be going on over to Carbondale and out to Giant City State Park Lodge restaurant and trying its family style friend chicken dinner, not only for the great food but also for the beauty of the park. (See my 7/5/03 and others' posts under "St Louis Favorites" in "Where Should I Eat" forum.) Assuming you've not been to Lambert's "Throwed Rolls" Cafe in Sikeston, MO, a stop there would be worthwhile once just for the experience (provided you don't hit it right at mealtime and encounter one of its long waits). Know I've seen other posts re places along both I-55 and I-57, thought can't think of any just now except for several Memphis barbecue posts. If you'd utilize Roadfood's "Search" feature, perhaps searching city names and restaurant or food types, you 'd likely find more interesting spots along your route. Have a good trip. Liketoeat.

Netfeather

• Total Posts: 31
      RE: New Orleans to Chicago Thu, 09/4/03 1:19 PM (permalink)
      Rather than Lambert's try Gary's Barbecue in Portageville (a bit south of Sikeston). Gary's slogan is "Home of Rolls too Good to Throw." He's right--the rolls are warm and served with honey butter. There's a menu for sandwiches and stuff, but the real treat is the buffet--typical of what you'll find in the south--catfish, pork chops, mac n cheese, stewed tomatoes, sweet potatoes--lots of variety and good. I don't remember the exact price but I'm sure it wasn't more than $8.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
        RE: New Orleans to Chicago Thu, 09/4/03 1:49 PM (permalink)
        Netfeather, glad to hear your recommendation of Gary's Barbecue in Portageville. Now that you've mentioned it, I recall seeing signs when driving along the Interstate, but never thought of it as a place to stop for a meal. Now that I know, I'll remedy that. Sounds like my kind of place, though a buffet for me when traveling is not a good idea due to tendency to overeat and then get sleepy.

gstafford

• Total Posts: 2
          RE: New Orleans to Chicago Thu, 09/4/03 6:21 PM (permalink)
          Great advice....thanks a million.
          quote:
          Originally posted by Liketoeat

gstafford, right off hand I can't think of any restaurants right along I-57 in southern IL, but if you had time for small off highway jaunt, I'd recommend turning west off I-57 at Benton, IL, and running over to Christopher for one of Maid-Rite's unique sandwiches and its delicious pie or for either barbecue or catfish at Larry's Barbecue there. See my 7/14/03 post under "Long Gone Regional Chains" in "Miscellaneous" forum for more info. You could also turn off I-57 at Marion and head west toward Carbondale to try at "The Pioneer" (believe its name is) a few miles down the road, one of its family style fried chicken dinners. If you had more time, even more enjoyable would be going on over to Carbondale and out to Giant City State Park Lodge restaurant and trying its family style friend chicken dinner, not only for the great food but also for the beauty of the park. (See my 7/5/03 and others' posts under "St Louis Favorites" in "Where Should I Eat" forum.) Assuming you've not been to Lambert's "Throwed Rolls" Cafe in Sikeston, MO, a stop there would be worthwhile once just for the experience (provided you don't hit it right at mealtime and encounter one of its long waits). Know I've seen other posts re places along both I-55 and I-57, thought can't think of any just now except for several Memphis barbecue posts. If you'd utilize Roadfood's "Search" feature, perhaps searching city names and restaurant or food types, you 'd likely find more interesting spots along your route. Have a good trip. Liketoeat.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: New Orleans to Chicago Thu, 09/4/03 7:17 PM (permalink)
            gstafford,
            Memphis is so obvious a destination that I won't say any more. North of there, you could detour over I think it's like 15 miles and hit Bozo's in Mason, Tennessee.
            SUNning Myself On Those Yellow Records From Nashville (Of Course, Most Of Us Know That They Actually Were From Memphis, But John Sebastian Couldn't Make A Rhyme Out Of "Memphis" Worth Using, So He Stretched The Truth A Bit!), Rockin' Ort. Carlton in rockin' Athens, Georgia.
            P. S. They called me "Billy" back in grammar school....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com