Conveyor Oven Pizza?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
2007/10/01 18:24:10 (permalink)

Conveyor Oven Pizza?

Have any of you (knowingly) ever had some? Was it any good? Is there any great pizza being produced in a conveyor oven anywhere that you know of? Would you try a new pizza joint that utilized that method? How about if you were in the middle of nowhere and it was the only game in town; would you try it then? Inquiring minds want to know. pb

57 Replies Related Threads

rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/10/01 20:28:14 (permalink)
    Yep, we've had 'em here in the Hudson Valley. One of the upscale/yuppie/organic/locally grown type markets makes pizza in (on?) a conveyor oven.
    They make a normal crust (I like Eddie's-style real thin crust) and it's a bit chewy, but they will make it "well-done" if you ask. They use very good ingredients and actually charge less for a pizza than a lot of the pizza joints.
    It is acceptable in all ways. But every pizza place is different.
    Ron
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/10/01 20:46:11 (permalink)
    Turoni's in Evansville uses a conveyor and I think they make a fine pizza, but it's a very thin crust.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/10/01 20:51:40 (permalink)
    That sounds like a neat idea. No clock watching. No opening the oven to let heat out so you can cook another pizza. I haven't done it, but it doesn't scare me.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/10/01 21:03:17 (permalink)
    The best pizza in this area comes from a lowly conveyor oven.And thats not damning by faint praise.Theres a guy 5 miles down the road that has a beautiful imported wood-fired oven from Italy.But he doesnt know how to use it.Its nice to have the best tools,but better to know how to get the most out of the ones you have.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/10/01 21:43:04 (permalink)
    You know, my favorite sandwich was from a place called Ollie's L'Oven Works, and they wrapped all the sandwich guts in what you might call pizza dough and sent it through a conveyor oven to bake. It heated up the fixin's nicely, too. I miss that place.

I've been to Quizno's and chipped a tooth after they sent their sammys through a conveyor oven, though. Something about sending bread that's already baked through an oven again, I guess.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/10/01 22:09:06 (permalink)
    My go to place here in St. Petersburg is Gumby's Pizza and they use a conveyor oven. I do ask for to be well done which adds a little bit to it and to my liking.

But this does not mean that I don't prefer a pizza from a regular pizza oven. I think it has more to do with the ingredients and the cook than it does the oven but that is another thread.

John
    wmceaton
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 315
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/26 20:21:15 (permalink)
    I run from conveyor pizza...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/26 21:20:01 (permalink)
    All I've seen from places that run a conveyor oven is a dream for speed and mass production. Food Quality has sucked. Show me a good ol' Blodgett or Bakers Pride brick oven, and chances are I'll gamble my dollar on their product. A lot more pride goes into the pie when they sit and babysit it (gently turning it, shaking it now and then).. Also far better tasting then something being made factory style!

tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2011
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/27 14:01:06 (permalink)
    When a good local pizza place switched over a few years ago, the pizza stayed the same.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/27 14:04:20 (permalink)
    It's like all types of pizza, there are good places and bad. Luckily, the conveyor across the street from me is very good. A block from work, good in a pinch. Better than the other pizza options near work.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/27 15:17:53 (permalink)
    Are we talking about the type of pizza that, for example, Costco sells? If so, well, then, there's Costco's Pizza. It's OK, but not up there with great pizza at all. It's mostly notable for the amount of pizza and toppings you get for only $9. ---Ken
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/27 15:58:50 (permalink)
    Costco makes the same mistake so many "American-style pizzarias make:The sauce is loaded with sugar. Taste just the sauce next time!!!I think you could get an OK pizza from this contraption if great ingredients were used. Still a wood burning oven(again considering you used great ingredients) is the preferred way to go.
    Lee
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/27 16:28:02 (permalink)
    One of my favorite pizza places in Columbus, OH, Johnny's on Parsons Ave switched to a conveyor a few years ago. It's still good but I think they got it slightly crispier in the older ovens. I asked for it well done once and he burned the crap out of it so now I just get it the way it comes.
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/27 18:42:41 (permalink)
    Pizza Port, Carlsbad (CA) uses a conveyor. They make a pretty darn good "CA" style pizza. But let's get real here people... I really go there for the beer! www.pizzaport.com

Doatsie

p.s. See you at the Strong Ale Festival!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2007/11/27 19:09:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Costco makes the same mistake so many "American-style pizzarias make:The sauce is loaded with sugar. Taste just the sauce next time!!!I think you could get an OK pizza from this contraption if great ingredients were used. Still a wood burning oven(again considering you used great ingredients) is the preferred way to go.
    Lee

Ya, what is it with all this sugar in the sauce? Totally sickens me to say the least. Shows you all these shop owners have no clue to what a good, lightly seasoned tomato sauce tastes like. Someone out there started a chain of events with the sugar, and it keeps escalating. My only theory is they never tasted something real and good, just started out in the biz copying someone else. Then came that conveyor oven... ARGHHH...

shresthamohan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/12 23:34:18 (permalink)
    Hey guys if you want any sort of pizza conveyor or ovens then you can visit the website . You can get get their the best deals with a lot of heavy discount for your business. So, you should try that link. Thank you.
    shresthamohan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/12 23:34:18 (permalink)
    Hey guys if you want any sort of pizza conveyor or ovens then you can visit the website . You can get get their the best deals with a lot of heavy discount for your business. So, you should try that link. Thank you.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4193
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/13 12:06:40 (permalink)
    porkbeaks

Have any of you (knowingly) ever had some? Was it any good? Is there any great pizza being produced in a conveyor oven anywhere that you know of?

Anyone that has ever ordered from Domino's has had a conveyor oven pizza!

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 525
    RE: Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/13 12:14:07 (permalink)
    ken8038

Are we talking about the type of pizza that, for example, Costco sells? If so, well, then, there's Costco's Pizza. It's OK, but not up there with great pizza at all. It's mostly notable for the amount of pizza and toppings you get for only $9. ---Ken

I've mentioned this on another thread but I'll do it here as well. I use Costco pizza as my benchmark. Is it great?? No. Is it a serviceable slice when you're there anyway?? Absolutely. So, that said, if you aren't as good as Costco, I'm not interested. If you are, you could receive my business.

So yes, I have knowingly eaten conveyor oven pizza. Quite happily.

DT
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/13 14:54:17 (permalink)
    shresthamohan

No...it ISN'T pizza....at best pizza-like product!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/13 14:56:34 (permalink)
    Costco pizza is at BEST "FAIR".....not good, fair...at $1:99 it is filling and makes a cheap lunch......but nobody around this pizza-area would call this acceptable pizza!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/13 15:15:54 (permalink)
    The above comments were about Domino, Costco, and other fast food-style pizza product...and conveyor belt fast food pizza.and represent my humble opinion, and 67 years of eating good pizza around the world. By the way, Costco uses a sauce too sweet and that mixture of cheeses should be dropped for simply mozzerella!I'll grant you it's a big slice with lots of toppings for the price. But we have far too many good choices around here to settle for this type of stuff!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/14 03:05:52 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    porkbeaks
    Have any of you (knowingly) ever had some? Was it any good? Is there any great pizza being produced in a conveyor oven anywhere that you know of?

AND Pizza Hut!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/14 10:18:58 (permalink)
    Foodbme

MetroplexJim
    porkbeaks

AND Pizza Hut!

And Papa John's!

The first one of these conveyor ovens I ever saw was circa 1982 in Rockville, MD at one of the clients of my printing businesses.  This new (now defunct) pizza parlor's "differentiation" was having this oven that enabled them to serve a finished pie only 6 minutes after the order!  Most pizza places back then took 30 minutes.  And, as pizza "went" back then, it was good and little different than what came out of the traditional Blodgett ovens!

This new technology beat the pants off the traditional Blodgett-style ovens time-wise and yielded a pie every bit as good.  A few years thereafter high-volume pizza delivery businesses -  Domino's and the like - arrived on the scene and created a whole new industry by using this technological innovation to get a pie in your lap at home in the same time it took to arrive at your table in a restaurant!  Of course, this really hurt business for the sit-down pizza restaurants (remember how and when all those stand-alone Pizza Huts disappeared or were "repurposed"?).

The happy result of this was that the "locals" had to step up their game and compete on quality.  As a result, by the early '90's one began seeing brick ovens being installed here and there.  I was in the DC area at the time and 'gourmet' pizza places:  Pizza Paradisio, 2 Amys, Faccia Luna, etc. quickly became all the rage and had lines at their doors.

When we moved to Dallas in 2005 it was a "pizza desert"; now, "brick oven 'gourmet' joints" are all over the place.  Hell, we even have 6 or 7 of them here in McKinney - and all serve a far better pie than was even available in the whole Metroplex eight years ago.

Luckily for Domino's et al., those "designer pies" do not travel well.  Delivered, their wonderful thin crusts arrive soggy and the pie luke-warm - for twice the price of Domino's or Papa John's.  (If I'm watching the Steelers and want a hot, decent pie "RFN" I call Papa John's, not Grimaldi's).

So, this conveyor oven has caused all sorts of good change: the creation of a whole industry of high-volume delivery, competition forcing the quantum quality leap produced by the brick oven sit-downs, and even the fast, hot $1.89 slice and a Coke for a lunch at Costco or Sam's.

This is yet another example of how innovation and competitive profit-seeking in the free market have created industries and bettered eneryone's quality of life. 

There is some rich irony in many of the posts above; instead of mocking the conveyor oven, thank it for bringing a little bit of New Haven to most communities in America!

(And, don't cry for the venerable Blodgett; they still makes a helluva pizza casserole in Chicago!).
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/14 10:29:02
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/14 14:33:39 (permalink)
    Sorry,I've never had a conveyor pizza, even close to a real pizza!!!And I don't see how this new technology reinvented mom and pop pizzerias. Here in the north east small Italian pizzerias were always high quality....and Papa John's etc NEVER is....sorry sweet sugar sauce and stuff on a conveyor belt is not cutting it for this Italian!!!!Here in Pizza land we know the difference from fast food to quality, A real hamburger is as far from a McDonalds attempt, as a real Slice is from Pizza Hut, Papa Johns or Dominoes....cheap imitations!!I've been raised on real pizza since the early 50's, and I just can't drop my dollars down on fast food pizza...even warm or cold, and more expensive, the real thing is the REAL thing. Would you judge what makes a great burger by eating a McDonalds...well you can't judge what constitutes a great slice by eating fast food pizza!!!!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/14 15:18:40 (permalink)
    leethebard

Here in the north east small Italian pizzerias were always high quality.

You are absolutely correct, sir.  

I had no idea what really good pizza was until my first visits to The City and the Eastern seaboard.   And the intense competition there made that so. 

leethebard

And I don't see how this new technology reinvented mom and pop pizzerias.

Out in the vast American Pizza Desert (i.e., anywhere outside of the NY, NJ, & CT "Pizza Heaven"), the loss of business to Domino's-type delivery made the local mom & pops step up their game and go to the Neopolitan-style ovens.  That was a big winner for us hicks down here in the middle of flyover country. 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/14 15:23:04
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/14 15:20:51 (permalink)
    Understood!!
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/15 23:38:30 (permalink)
    pica's has a conveyor oven and it's THE best tomato pie/pizza i've ever had.  tastes exactly the same as my italian (from italy) neighbors used to make in the regular ovens.

http://www.picas-restaurant.com/
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/15 23:40:58 (permalink)
    pica's has a conveyor oven and theirs is THE best pizza/tomato pie i've ever had.  http://www.picas-restaurant.com/
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1