Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My former favorite pizza place - Grand Rapids, MI

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
  • Roadfood Insider
My former favorite pizza place - Grand Rapids, MI Mon, 10/8/07 8:18 PM (permalink)
Well, something happened. Probably Michigans economy, or maybe someone wanting to line their pocket books. Flavor is still all there, but the toppings and crust are down by at least 75% in size. My first "Real" job was at the Forest Hills Inn, and been a happy customer ever since.. But in the last several months, their pizza has gone to paper (paper thin that is). Below are pics of slices of my 5 topping pizza.. Maybe this is the norm in NY, but around here, it's suicide. BTW, this pie runs 18 bucks and some change, before taxs and tip.

This is picture #1, ya see my thumb on the left, but look right and see how paper thin the crust is, along with how thin the toppings have become. May look a little thicker on the thumb side, but cheese is flowing over a little... [img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/1519638000_12a3b10d1f.jpg?v=0[/img]

The Beer Cap Test... Ok, using a Busch 22oz. bottle cap for size comparison:
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/1518782599_5e62964fa6.jpg?v=0[/img]

Tam

• Total Posts: 3
    RE: My former favorite pizza place - Grand Rapids, MI Tue, 10/9/07 4:36 AM (permalink)
    Hey Vic, rightly said and proved too with a pic...nice job..you must be a journalist...anyways the good old pizza is missing these days...more sauce less cheese and minimum toppings!! i prefer a home made pizza then going out!!

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
      RE: My former favorite pizza place - Grand Rapids, MI Tue, 10/9/07 10:09 AM (permalink)
      I'm not quite clear about what you mean by the "norm" in NY. While the quality of the cheese used on pizza here has decreased, I've never noticed the "shrinking chocolate bar" effect here that you have written about. Pizza places differ in how thick their crust is. But, individual places don't seem to change that over time, either. Instead, the price simply gets increased. Slice joints were charging 15 cents for a slice in 1964. The same size slice now goes for $2.00 on average. I don't even think they changed the size of the "house pie" in 40 years.

We do have fancier table service restaurants that sell pies of the size you show. But they started out with that size when they opened, and raise the price from time to time.

Quality pizza places are in a bind these days. They will lose business if their prices differ too much from the price on the coupons printed in the newspaper by "cheap ingredients" pizza places.

In the case of the Forest Hills Inn, it seems like they changed their entire menu.

BTB

• Total Posts: 207
        RE: My former favorite pizza place - Grand Rapids, MI Tue, 10/9/07 10:23 AM (permalink)
        I'm not familiar with Forest Hills Inn, but pizza with a ultra thin crust is a unique and special style that can be very good. One place in particular that a number of us think is one of the best pizzas ever made is Fricano's Original Pizza Tavern in Grand Haven, MI. They've been making their wafer thin crust pizza pie for nearly 58 years now and they have been very successful at it. From a number of blog sites and media reports that I've seen, their wafer thin crust pizza is often rated the number one pizza in southwest Michigan. There is a "sister" Fricano's pizzeria north of Grand Rapids in Comstock Park that is excellent also. My wife and I were there this past summer and thought they were almost as good as their Grand Haven location (see http://www.fricanospizza.com/locations.htm). They do a booming business and are very popular.

Tam

• Total Posts: 3
          RE: My former favorite pizza place - Grand Rapids, MI Thu, 10/11/07 2:52 AM (permalink)
          hummmm...yesterday I had an all olives and mushroom pizza in Pan base...speaking of personal choice pan base is my favorite as it makes me feel the BITe :) ...i opt for thin-crist when I am not too eager to fill up my stomach...its a good taste enhancer and stress buster for me...

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: My former favorite pizza place - Grand Rapids, MI Thu, 10/11/07 2:56 PM (permalink)
            Well, my point is, the crust used to be twice as thick, if not 3 times thicker. It's still a darn good tasting pizza, but when 2 people can eat an entire pizza and still be hungry... Well, thats my point. Up until recently, that 18 bucks purchased a pie that 2 people could hardly finish half. Thats my gripe, they seriously reduced qty, but left the price.

Here's the pizza I get at lunch.. It has a thick crust, sort of heavy on the sauce, and don't be driving when you eat it, pretty messy. This one is a little thin on the toppings considering the norm, or it may have been sitting awhile... Yet still tasted darn good! Place is called Marcos Pizza (Next door to the Forest Hills Inn), and at lunch they sell pizza by the slice (One below costs $2.50 out the door - Deluxe slice, measures about 4.5 x 7.5 inches). Included is my beer cap reference.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com