Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dutchgirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2007/10/19 21:14:45 (permalink)

Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added!

The family had a great long weekend in Ruidoso last week. We drove from Dallas/Fort Worth and the purpose behind the trip was to attend the Chuckwagon Cookoff in Ruidoso.

We ate lunch on the way in Roswell at a little Mexican place called El Toro Bravo. Hubby and the young son got the lunch buffet which was good. The best item was the stuffed sopapillas. Tender, flaky sopapillas were stuffed with seasoned ground beef and refried beans. I had a chalupa which was also pretty good.

We went on to Ruidoso and checked into our hotel then enjoyed walking around downtown. We ate dinner at Cafe Rio which is on the main drag. We stared off the meal with roasted whole garlic that we spread on homemade croutons - wonderful. The pizza we had there was the best pizza I have ever put in my mouth. I've not been to New York, but I was in Philly last year and ate at Lorenzo's in the Italian market - but this little place beat that hands down. We had the "Kitchen Sink" pizza which had everything - we left off anchovies and jalapenos. The crust was thin, but held up all the toppings beautifully and there was the perfect amount of charring. The guy who makes the pizzas stands in the front window and you can see him toss the dough in the air from the street. It is also quite reasonable, but be sure and bring cash - they take checks but not credit cards. I can't say enough about this great little place.

The next morning we ate the complementary breakfast at our hotel - The Lodge at Sierra Blanco - which was great especially for a free buffet. Real eggs, you could even go up to the kitchen area and request fried eggs or an omlette made to order. They had fruit, cereal, hash browns, sausage, bacon, french toast, etc, etc. (We got a great internet deal on our room.)

We then headed to the cookoff and had a great time. There were about 20 chuckwagons there cooking over open fires and in dutch ovens. It was fun to watch them and ask questions. Our lunch was cooked by the C-C Ranch Chuckwagon. Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, pinto beans, sourdough biscuits and apricot cobbler. MMMmmmm.

That night we went to the Flying J Ranch, which is a "cowboy meal" with a singing show that follows. They have what looks like an old western town and before the meal there are pony rides and BB gun target shooting for $2 each for the kids. They also have a "gunfight" right before the meal starts. The food was terrific. Barbecued brisket, cowboy beans, baked potato, homemade applesauce, biscuit, and spice cake. After everyone is served, you can even go back for seconds. After dinner, a singing group of 6 people came out and sang some old country classics and played things like the Orange Blossom Special,etc. They are really very good, especially the lead guitar/banjo player. They joke around and we laughed so hard, we had a great time. The cost was $22 for adults and $12 for kids. Well worth the money, we will return if we go back to town. The food is great and it's good family fun. The night we were there was their last show of the season. They don't run in the late fall and winter.

The next morning we had the hotel breakfast and then went sightseeing. Just before we left town, we ate lunch at the Lincoln County Grill which is on the main drag also. The cheeseburgers were pretty good, my husband had the pork chops which were very thin. Seemed like a popular place, but we weren't that impressed.

All in all we had a wonderful trip. I wish I had pictures of the food to show you. Ruidoso is a beautiful town and the people there are so genuine and very friendly.
Thanks!

44 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/20 07:43:30 (permalink)
    Great post! Welcome aboard!
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/20 08:23:17 (permalink)
    Welcome to roadfood. Pleased you enjoyed Ruidoso and the cowboy symposium. You hit some pretty good spots, good planning. We chose to retire in Lincoln County.Tomorrow night(Sun. 10/21) the Community Foundation of Lincoln County will have its annual event at the Flying J Ranch, I serve as Chairman.
    I'll try to get to you with more, now I need to spend the day getting details in place for our event.
    dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/20 10:40:03 (permalink)
    Thanks so much. We really enjoyed the Flying J, and well, the whole trip. Everyone was so friendly, we look forward to going back next year. There is a Chuckwagon cookoff here in Fort Worth on Oct. 27th and some of the same wagons will be here. My husband does dutch oven cooking when he guides white water canoeing trips, so that is how we got interested. It is a lot of fun and there are alot of "characters" to visit with.
    I will take pictures of the food next time, no matter how much my family teases me!
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/20 20:51:12 (permalink)
    Whitewater canoeing, now thats a thrill!Had some memorable times years ago on the rio.Tell hubby I do the dutch oven thing as well. We have an authentic 1880's Chuckwagon and usually cook at the symposium. This year we just got lazy or old and did'nt participate. Prior to your next trip to Lincoln County, NM, perhaps post early on the "where should I eat" link and you'll get friendly helpful suggestions regarding food as well as interesting things to see and do.
    FYI........ I received my new pair of handcrafted Lucchese boots yesterday. Guess what my footwear will be tomorrow night at the Flying J!!!
    dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/20 23:39:43 (permalink)
    Wow!! My husband would be very envious of your chuckwagon, that is great! Just being able to cook at the symposium is something. I hope you are there next year. I will follow your advice about asking for recommendations - I know there is much more to see and do there. We may go ahead and add an extra day or two our next time there. I know you will look very snappy in your new boots. As chairman, you may be busy, but I hope you enjoy your evening there as much as we did.
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/21 01:17:59 (permalink)
    Our event tomorrow night at the F/J/R is secure. James Hobbs and his wife are TOP DRAWER citizens.They are very supportive members of our County and as you've expressed, put on a great cowboy feed and evening of entertainment!
    I suggest Burger Trolley, Chileos(fish tacos, tell Leo Dean Lollar sent you),Taco O'le, Mister Burger or Disco Taco(don't laugh) for lunch. You Cowtown folks might enjoy dinner at the Texas Club. Take a look at Casa Blanca for good mexican food and ambience. NOW, SUSHI!!!, yes, landlocked in New Mexico, consider THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA.I not only enjoy their fresh food, I as well appreciate the friendship we've developed. kicking up your heels, don't miss WPS!!!(Win, Place or Show).
    Come enjoy your visit to Lincoln County soon!!!!!!!!!!!
    PS... If you wish to take a look at our for real C'Wagon,castiron, etc., please let me know. We'll arrange to meet at the Circle Diamond in Picacho.
    dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/21 17:59:39 (permalink)
    Rouxdog,
    Thanks so much for the advice. We will put it to good use the next time we are in town. We saw the Burger Trolley and wondered if it was good, it had that Roadfoodish look to it. We intended to try Disco Taco (I learned about it online) but just never made it there. I also heard that the Great Wall was excellent- we just need to stay longer next time!! We would love to take you up on your offer of taking a look at your C'wagon, cast iron, etc, that would be a great treat!! I know we will be back for the symposium next year, but you never know, we may decide to come back before then. Hope tonight at the F/J/R is great!!
    Thanks again!
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/22 13:18:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great trip report. Too bad we didn't get food photos,maybe next time.You were making us all drool with envy.
    The Flying J sounds like fun. There are several places around Bandera,Texas that do something similar.There were quite a few dude ranches around the Texas Hill Country sat one time.There still is the Mayan and a few others.
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/22 23:18:19 (permalink)
    Dutchie and Holly, sounds like Lincoln County New Mexico might have gained a couple two steepin, Cowgirls! One from Cowtown the otherin livin not far from the Alamo!
    BACK TO ROADFOOD.
    Help me here Holly. We hauled and showed a few head of registered Tx. Longhorn cattle to the Will Rogers Coliseum in Ft. Worth a couple years ago. It was the World Show, invitation only(built on accumulated points from regional shows). We were thrilled when we walked away with a WORLD CHAMPION trophy, smiled and brought bragging rights all the way back to New Mexico!
    Now Holly,I found a little eat spot near the Coliseum which served "creatures from the depths", served up in many simple but freshly delicious ways. A small place, maybe seat 20 crowded folks. The food was memorable and well worth mentioning to our roadfood friends. Any idea as to the name of the place??????
    dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 00:35:11 (permalink)
    Roux,
    Congrats on the Longhorn championship - a world championship entitles you to all the bragging you feel like doing! The only place that serves fresh seafood that comes to mind is Shrimper's which is a couple of miles from Will Rogers. They have since changed their name, and I haven't eaten there in a while. However, I know just the person to ask tomorrow at work, a real foodie who knows the good spots. I will investigate and get back to you....
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 01:39:50 (permalink)
    Dutchie, I think you're sniffing in the right direction. My ole Coonhound,Scooter,couldn't be hotter on the trail than you are! I call this love!
    Ole Rouxdog
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 11:55:59 (permalink)
    I remember last year when we took the family to Flying J. It was about 95 degrees at around 7:30, after the show was over and dinner was served. My memorable image was an elderly lady, who passed out from the heat right next to our table bringing back chicken filets to her table, and hearing this sickening thud as her head bounced against the table just prior to landing on the ground. Needless to say, dinner was interrupted from that point forward. The ambulance arrived about 10 minutes later, and she was taken out on a gurney. I had to explain the situation to my (then) 3 year old son. The food was good, but not great, the good part was it was a pay one price affair.
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 15:29:23 (permalink)
    OK Tam, I get it. You want to keep our little corner of the world a secret. 95 degrees at the Flying J sitting at about 8000 ft. elevation? Thats similar to the proverbial 100 year flood! Coming from Cruces, I'd think you felt you were sitting directly in front of a Trane air conditioner.
    Friend, I'm gonna tell on you! I'm sending your message to James & Cindy Hobbs at the Flying J Ranch!
    Last Sunday night it was down around 35 degrees, not 95!
    That little NMSU Carrizozo student has moved up to bartender at Bennigans. Bigger bucks, shorter hours and more fun. Her 4.0 GPA is in jeopardy she thinks. Very tough advanced accounting course. She needs at least one "B" before graduation. She has seen my college transcript and laughed for about an hour!
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 15:37:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

OK Tam, I get it. You want to keep our little corner of the world a secret. 95 degrees at the Flying J sitting at about 8000 ft. elevation? Thats similar to the proverbial 100 year flood! Coming from Cruces, I'd think you felt you were sitting directly in front of a Trane air conditioner.
    Friend, I'm gonna tell on you! I'm sending your message to James & Cindy Hobbs at the Flying J Ranch!
    Last Sunday night it was down around 35 degrees, not 95!
    That little NMSU Carrizozo student has moved up to bartender at Bennigans. Bigger bucks, shorter hours and more fun. Her 4.0 GPA is in jeopardy she thinks. Very tough advanced accounting course. She needs at least one "B" before graduation. She has seen my college transcript and laughed for about an hour!

Our pilgrimage to the Flying J occurred in July 06. It was excruciatingly hot. I thought we were going to catch a break coming from Cruces, but it seemed minimal.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6395
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 16:54:46 (permalink)
    This is all getting to me. Sigh! I watched a TV show I think on the Food Network were there was a dutch oven cook off with the chuck wagons. Was it this one or are there a lot of events like that? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So what is the weather like in February or March? We will be anxious to start our camper van touring season early next year and New Mexico and Arizona were our first thoughts.
    dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 18:01:02 (permalink)
    Roux,

I spoke to my co-worker (he won 4 ribbons at the recent Texas State Fair), he agreed that the place you mention might very well be Shrimpers. He also suggested Zeke's - however, everything they serve there is deep fried and probably from a frozen state. The other guess was Lucille's which is a little bistro on Camp Bowie they havew a "lobsterfest" and do it quite well. I will have to check out what the former Shrimpers is doing soon and fill you in.
    DG
    dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/23 18:06:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

This is all getting to me. Sigh! I watched a TV show I think on the Food Network were there was a dutch oven cook off with the chuck wagons. Was it this one or are there a lot of events like that? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So what is the weather like in February or March? We will be anxious to start our camper van touring season early next year and New Mexico and Arizona were our first thoughts.

Davydd,
    I'm sure that the chuckwagon cookoff you saw on Food Network was the one in Ruidoso. That is how we learned about it. We decided to check online and found that it is held every October. Food Network was not there this year, but they have been for several years.

We really had a great time, the chuckwagon teams are so friendly, and readily share secrets - you can stand there and watch them cook. There is a cookoff here in Ft Worth this weekend, and we are going to that too. I think they have one in Abeline in May. I'm not sure about other states, but I bet they have them too.
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/24 18:29:08 (permalink)
    Rouxdog is back! Jury duty? Over these many years, I've never been selected. The prosecutors seem to like me, the defense folks have always said "thanks, you may go home now". Oh well?
    NOW..........CHUCKWAGON COOKING IS A BEAUTIFUL THING!!
    The above comments are well founded and Cowboy right! Most likely Davydd, you did view the cookoff on the Food Channel(thanks Dutchie). I know of two years FNC filmed the Ruidoso Cowboy Symposium Chuckwagon Cookoff. Our historic Circle Diamond Ranch Wagon and our cooking set up was filmed in both episodes. We were the featured wagon in one. I had a "starring" role describing and demonstrating my potato peeling prowess! ALL IN FUN!
    Cheap political announcement........... My friends, Phelps Anderson, living in Roswell, is likely to announce his candidancy for the 2nd. U.S. congressional district of New Mexico in a few days. My New Mexican friends, take a close look, hopefully you'll find him worthy of your support, I'm certainly on the team!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ole Rouxdog
    Dean Lollar
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/24 20:06:38 (permalink)
    hi dutchgirl,
    great 1st Roadfood post for you !
    keep them coming !

That whole Chuckwagon concept sounds very enticing to me!
    I'm trapped here in the land of pizza and Cheesesteaks . (Atlantic City area)
    Wish we had more BBQ and charcoal broiled places...
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/24 22:34:06 (permalink)
    Ellen, we welcome Jersey card sharks to Lincoln County,NM.Please bring $$$$!
    Please do the www.cowboysymposium.com to learn more about our great event.You wanna join us, we'll roll out the red carpet!
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/24 22:38:57 (permalink)
    OOPS, my BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make that website look. www.lincolncountycowboysymposium.com
    dutchgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/24 23:07:50 (permalink)
    I decided to try and add some pictures from the cookoff. This is the first time I've tried this so I hope it works. If it doesn't, my appologies.

Pictures from the cookoff

Chicken Fried Steak 10/27/2007

Fixin potatoes 10/27/2007 125K

Flying J Pony Ride 10/27/2007 87K

Hot Coffee 10/27/2007 167K

Choppin Veggies 10/27/2007 104K

Frying up some bacon 10/27/2007 170K

C Bar C Biscuits 10/27/2007 108K

C Bar C Apricot Cobbler 10/27/2007

Fun at the Flying J 10/27/2007 63K

Beautiful Scenery 10/27/2007
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/25 03:46:59 (permalink)
    Dutchie, great photos! Keep in mind, meeting at the Circle Diamond in Picacho for a view of our equipment. Maybe, just a maybe at this point, depending on how many Roadfoodies wishing to join us, we possibly could do a simple sundown Chuckwagon cookout at the ranch. We've done it before,lots of layed back cowboy fun! I just put on a new set of Martin strings on my old guitar. We don't need a bunch of folks, maybe a half dozen plus 6 or 8 of us at the ranch. We can easily figure out in advance how we split the cost of rations, Hooch and other associated necessities.
    If interested, respond in the affirmative. We'll build a good cooking fire and enjoy an evening in "The Land of Enchantment".
    Your Roadfood friend,
    Ole Rouxdog
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8488
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/25 07:38:11 (permalink)
    Sounds like something this born and bred Midwesterner would love!!Great report and pics, and great info from rouxdog as well!!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6395
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/25 08:54:05 (permalink)
    Ole Rouxdog you are making me more positive about heading out in the camper van for the Southwest yet this winter.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/25 12:46:32 (permalink)
    Dutchgirl,

Was that last picture taken from the road that leads to the ski lift on the way to Sierra Blanca?

Thanks,
    Mike
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/25 15:54:15 (permalink)
    Sorry RouxDog,I can't think of the name of that place you ate at.
    I haven't been up in the Dallas-Fort Worth ara in quite a few years.But someone here on the board may know the place.
    I know in San Antonio there is the StockYard Cafe,near the San Antonio Stockyard. Once in a while you'll read in the paper about
    a cow getting loose now and then.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/25 16:20:50 (permalink)
    great pics, dutchgirl! And you got it on the first try; very impressive!! (I had to call "al the mayor" for extra assistance with MY 1st pics!)

You passed your Roadfood.com initation in flying colors, and you are now a full-fledged member in very good standing..

the food looks good, and so do those cowboys in their Wrangler Jeans!
    rouxdog
    RE: Trip to Ruidoso-Pictures Added! 2007/10/25 17:22:23 (permalink)
    You got it Ellen, WRANGLERS! Ain't no levis around here! Ever once in awhile, some traveler will stop for a bite to eat at the 4 way stop wearing some of those Levis. Ain't a cowpuncher in Lincoln County that will go within feet of them.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1