The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Greek Pizza ...

wheregreggeats.com

Greek Pizza ... Tue, 11/6/07 2:09 PM (permalink)
I am not sure if it is a Massachusetts/Connecticut thing, and east coast thing, or exactly what it is ...

Living within driving distance of Pepe's, I don't often entertain the idea of having Greek pizza ... I went with friends to a typically stark Greek pizza place today and it wasn't bad ... it kind of reminded me of a less cake-y Chicago Pizza.

Are there any Greek Pizza fans -- as there are with New York Pizza or Chicago pizza fanatics?

andydeahl

• Total Posts: 27
    RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 11/6/07 2:19 PM (permalink)
    In Connecticut it's easy to tell the difference. Greek pizza is always square cut and has LOTS of oil in the crust. It taste good fresh but gets soggy quickly and isn't good for take-out. The lack of crush on most pieces drive me crzay as there is nothing to hold on to!

Yes, Pepe's is cut irregularly, but not the Greek square cut.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
      RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 11/6/07 2:21 PM (permalink)
      Yep, no greek pizza that I can find in our area unfortunately.

Some local places have a greek pizza on the menu but by greek they mean it has feta cheese on top...not a traditional pizza from a good greek restaurant.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 11/6/07 3:07 PM (permalink)
        I always thought Greek Pizza was a New England thing. I haven't seen it anywhere else.
        Sort of like American Chop Suey, which isn't an asian dish, but a New England Italian dish made with elbow macaroni, tomatoes, onions, celery, green peppers and ground beef.

Gosh, I just realized how badly I need to visit my friends in Dracut!

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
          RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 11/6/07 3:28 PM (permalink)
          We have plenty of Greek pizza shop operators in the Boston area, but I run across fewer that make what we used to call "Greek" pizza.

I don't recall it ever being in rectangular pieces. I had a roommate in college who worked at a Greek pizza place in Natick. I've always heard from her and otheres that the major distinctions include the use of white cheddar rather than mozzerella and a sweet-ish sauce with lots of oregano, preferably Mediterranean oregano.

What do you think of as Greek pizza?

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
            RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 11/6/07 3:40 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Ashphalt

I've always heard from her and otheres that the major distinctions include the use of white cheddar rather than mozzerella

What do you think of as Greek pizza?

white cheddar is good. typically the crust is slightly more bread like then an italian pizza crust.

a few old greek pizza places I loved.. chesapeake pizza in great bridge and acropolis cafe in cornelius nc - great pizza.

about white cheddar - when i was 15 i handled prep work for a pizza place called milton's in virginia beach. for the cheese, we used equal amounts of aged white cheddar (from vermont if my memory serves) and wisconsin aged cheddar. this made a great tasting pizza. there is a local place here in johnson city called greg's that seems to use the about the same type of cheese combination.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
              RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 11/6/07 4:05 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by andydeahl

In Connecticut it's easy to tell the difference. Greek pizza is always square cut and has LOTS of oil in the crust. It taste good fresh but gets soggy quickly and isn't good for take-out. The lack of crush on most pieces drive me crzay as there is nothing to hold on to!

Yes, Pepe's is cut irregularly, but not the Greek square cut.

Beg to differ. Yorkside Pizza (and its predecessor Broadway Pizza) in New Haven has made nothing but round pizza cut in the usual manner for at least 30 years. And I've never found it gets soggy any faster than any other pizza -- actually, I think the thicker crust (baked in a shallow metal pan) actually gives it more substance and crunch.

Great stuff. Particularly the meatball & eggplant variety with fresh garlic.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                RE: Greek Pizza ... Wed, 11/7/07 8:35 PM (permalink)
                wish i could find a close to connecticut greek pizza in Daytona. the closest i found is Stavros.
                allthe rest of the pizza joints taste the samewith slight variations on the thin crust italian theme.

kilerclown

• Total Posts: 54
                  RE: Greek Pizza ... Thu, 01/3/08 8:14 PM (permalink)
                  Greek pizza is really something wonderful. I think what makes it great is the mozz/cheddar mix in cheeses and the total grease. Makes my mouth water. However, and not that its a big deal, there are greek places that dont cut in squares...but in not doing so it does detract from the authenticity.

beerbrewer

• Total Posts: 1
                    RE: Greek Pizza ... Sun, 01/13/08 1:20 PM (permalink)
                    Lots of places you can pick this up in the section of detroit called "Greektown". My favorite is Nicki's

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                      RE: Greek Pizza ... Sun, 01/13/08 1:39 PM (permalink)

I recall a Greek pizza place in S.F. on Polk St. It may have been thicker than most pies, but I do remember that it had feta cheese on top along with another cheese which I suppose would have been mozzarella. Kalamata olives and artichoke hearts may have made an appearance too.

mark

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
                        RE: Greek Pizza ... Wed, 01/23/08 7:02 PM (permalink)
                        I grew up eating Greek pizza and didn't know it. The town pizza joints just happened to be owned and run by Greeks. Now I prefer thin crust, Italian style, but I still enjoy a good Greek pizza when I find one.
                        The relative abundance of good pizza places almost compensates for the New England winters...

macphile

• Total Posts: 20
                          RE: Greek Pizza ... Sat, 06/28/08 2:28 AM (permalink)
                          New York Pizzeria (Houston) does a Greek pizza--it's my favorite of theirs, actually. I can't speak to the crust, although it's the same one they use for all their pizzas. It's cut into triangles and has cheese, feta, olives, spinach, and tomatoes. They use a garlic sauce instead of a tomato sauce. Anyway, it's a religious experience (for me, at least).

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                            RE: Greek Pizza ... Wed, 07/2/08 9:23 PM (permalink)
                            When I lived in Mass, I always thought that Greek pizza was because the owners were Greek.

(J/K)
                            But I noticed that every pizza shop was named House of _______.
                            And had Greek people there.
                            I can honestly say that I have never had a "Greek" pizza.

From Wikipedia.

"The other usage refers to the pizza crust rather than its toppings. Greek pizza (in opposition to Italian pizza) is baked in a pan, instead of directly on the bricks of the pizza oven, and has a thick, chewy crust that is usually quite oily. This style of pizza is referred to as "Greek pizza" even when it has non-Greek toppings, since it is typical of pizzerias owned by Greek immigrants. These establishments often also sell Greek specialties, such as Greek salads and gyros, and tend to brand themselves as "Pizza and Pasta"; a codephrase signifying that it is not an Italian restaurant, but a Greek one serving Italian style food. In the United States, this usage appears to be specific to New England cuisine, although the style of pizza is fairly similar to what is found elsewhere as "pan pizza," for example from the international chain Pizza Hut."
                            "

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                              RE: Greek Pizza ... Wed, 07/2/08 9:33 PM (permalink)
                              I went to a Greek pizza place in Old Lyme about ten or so years ago and didn't care for the pie. By the way, it was wedge cut, not square cut.

caratzas

• Total Posts: 216
                                RE: Greek Pizza ... Thu, 07/3/08 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by roossy90From Wikipedia.

"...In the United States, this usage appears to be specific to New England cuisine, although the style of pizza is fairly similar to what is found elsewhere as "pan pizza," for example from the international chain Pizza Hut."

There used to be a place in Astoria, Queens (big Greek 'hood) that sold what they called "New England-style pizza." Every Greek knew what they were talking about, like some kind of Hellenic code. At least this one did.

So, IHTA with Wikipedia and think of it as primarily a New England/Northeastern phenomenon. At least that's where you find the bulk of it.

Another interesting thing -- Over the past decade, maybe a bit more, in this area you see an increasing number of pizzerias owned and run by other Eastern European ethnicities, primarily Albanians. They keep the traditional pizzeria menus. So you end up with, as a co-worker once put it, "Albanians pretending to be Greeks pretending to be Italians."

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
                                  RE: Greek Pizza ... Thu, 07/3/08 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                  I like Greek Pizza. But then I like almost any pizza, LOL. There used to be a really good place in Ridgefield (CT) but alas it is no more. You can always tell a real greek pizza place because they will have pans with the dough rising in them stacked someplace in the kitchen. It gives it a nice airy crust. Growing up in Norwich there was another really good place call the isle of rhodes but it has long been consumed by the Mohegan Sun. Now that I think of it, authenic greek pizza appears to be going the way of the dodo.

bubbaboy

RE: Greek Pizza ... Thu, 01/27/11 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                    I used to get the airy crust pan style greek pizza in Boston when I went to school there.  I live in NYC now and can't find it anywhere.  I hate to bring up such an old thread but I'm desperate at this point.  When I first had it I thought it was strange and inferior to the New York style but eventually really enjoyed eating it.  I havent had it in years and I find myself craving it from time to time.  Does anyone know if anyone is making this type of pizza in New York City?  Thanks and again sorry for bringing up a thread from 2008.

JD

bluandy26

Re:Greek Pizza ... Thu, 01/27/11 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                      I agree! This nonsense has gone on for too long! I found a youtuber who sympathies with me.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                        RE: Greek Pizza ... Fri, 01/28/11 2:24 AM (permalink)
                                        caratzas

Over the past decade, maybe a bit more, in this area you see an increasing number of pizzerias owned and run by other Eastern European ethnicities, primarily Albanians. They keep the traditional pizzeria menus. So you end up with, as a co-worker once put it, "Albanians pretending to be Greeks pretending to be Italians." 

I don't know that anybody's pretending.  "Pizza" is a thing known in most Mediterranean cultures.  My neighborhood pizza place in San Francisco is run by North Africans (I think they are Morrocan, maybe Tunisian).  The place my sister frequents near her home in Ormond Beach, FL is owned by Greeks.  Both make very decent pies (far better than average for pizza outside its Northeastern home).

mikeahall

• Total Posts: 2
                                          RE: Greek Pizza ... Mon, 03/7/11 4:09 PM (permalink)
                                          roossy90

...snip...
                                          From Wikipedia.
                                          "The other usage refers to the pizza crust rather than its toppings. Greek pizza (in opposition to Italian pizza) is baked in a pan, instead of directly on the bricks of the pizza oven, and has a thick, chewy crust that is usually quite oily. This style of pizza is referred to as "Greek pizza" even when it has non-Greek toppings, since it is typical of pizzerias owned by Greek immigrants. These establishments often also sell Greek specialties, such as Greek salads and gyros, and tend to brand themselves as "Pizza and Pasta"; a codephrase signifying that it is not an Italian restaurant, but a Greek one serving Italian style food. In the United States, this usage appears to be specific to New England cuisine, although the style of pizza is fairly similar to what is found elsewhere as "pan pizza," for example from the international chain Pizza Hut."

I'm the owner of a independent Greek-style pizza restaurant in Atlanta (formerly part of a small local chain) that's been operating successfully since 1983 and can confirm this Wikipedia entry and many of the opinions stated here are right on target.

The pizzas we make are indeed made only in pans and the crust has a lighter texture (more like crisp bread) than what is commonly referred to as "New York-style" pizza... or at least what passes for it on my stretch of the highway.  We do indeed use a mozzarella/white cheddar mix. We also serve Gyros and other Italian specialties so now I feel much more in tune with our origins being "rumored" as coming from New England. Since we took over this place in 1999, we've tried very hard to keep true to the established reputation, quality and style of the recipes we inherited. We weren't really sure exactly how to categorize our style of pizza so this discussion has been very relevant and helpful!

sk bob

RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 03/8/11 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                            mikeahall, glad to hear you're keeping up the tradition of Greek pizza.
                                            the wikipedia thing is not correct. Greek pizza does NOT have a thick crust UNDER the toppings like Sicilian. the EDGES or outer crust MAY be a little thick.
                                            what andydeahl said about being cut into square pieces isn't always a true indicater of the style of pizza.

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                                              RE: Greek Pizza ... Tue, 03/8/11 10:47 PM (permalink)
                                              Athens Pizza on Clairmont Rd in Decatur serves a nice Greek Pizza.  Mom and pop place that has been there for years. The crust is not thick.  It is kinda rolled on the outer edge and is cooked in a pan.  The crust however is perfectly thin.  Don't forget to get a slice of  ´╗┐baklava on the way out for 2 bucks to eat for a snack.  Filed with honey, layers of phyllo and chopped nuts and cinnamon.  It tastes like heaven.  I try to stop in when I'm back in the area for a lunch special.

mikeahall

• Total Posts: 2
                                                RE: Greek Pizza ... Fri, 03/25/11 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                sk bob

mikeahall, glad to hear you're keeping up the tradition of Greek pizza.
                                                the wikipedia thing is not correct. Greek pizza does NOT have a thick crust UNDER the toppings like Sicilian. the EDGES or outer crust MAY be a little thick.
                                                what andydeahl said about being cut into square pieces isn't always a true indicater of the style of pizza.

Agreed, the crust we use is not that thick in the middle of the pie, it's more like a hand-tossed consistency but made in a 1" pan. I think it's also important to point out that pies like ours use the cheddar/mozzarella on TOP of all toppings, thereby allowing a larger portion of toppings to evenly cook (especially fresh vegetables) instead of putting comparably fewer items just on top of the cheese. 

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                  RE: Greek Pizza ... Fri, 03/25/11 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  Just my 2 cents here, since I missed this thread the first 6 times around. Last summer on the way back from a wedding in Boston, we had an excellent Greek pizza in Norwalk CT, here:

http://www.jordansrestaurants.com/

by Greek, I mean Greek, complete with Greek Olives, feta cheese, lots of Olive oil, and so on. 

Since my wife and I are veterans of New Jersey and Brooklyn pizza (and yes, New Haven on past trips to Boston), this was a nice change of pace, plus it was open on Sunday.

sk bob

• Location: South Daytona, FL
                                                    RE: Greek Pizza ... Sun, 03/27/11 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    we went again tonight to our FAVORITE Greek pizza place in the Daytona area that consists of 3 places that make Greek pizza, Stavros on Beach St.
                                                    still consistant flavor all around, every time.
                                                    the other 2 are Mannys on Clyde Morris Blvd. in Port Orange,& Pantheon on White St. in Daytona.

extremelyloudnoise

• Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                      Re:Greek Pizza ... Sat, 06/18/11 1:58 PM (permalink)
                                                      I used to live on the east coast and now I crave "American Greek Style Pan Pizza" from time to time.  A truly excellent place for that was Jordan's pizza in Norwalk CT.  I wish I has their recipe because I just don't know of any good pan pizza like that here in the Bay Area (although there are a couple decent Chicago-style places).

Here's a link for Jordan's, one of the best implementations of the New England Greek style.  And I definitely DO NOT work for them, just really miss their pizza  

Edit: whoa, I thought I read the whole thread but I see someone else mentioned Jordans' above.  Great!
                                                      <message edited by extremelyloudnoise on Sat, 06/18/11 2:01 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com