Hot!Carrolls restaurants

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
cooper
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2003/09/07 12:31:20 (permalink)

Carrolls restaurants

Does anyone remember the Carrolls restaurant chain in Central New York in the early 1960's. Great burgers and fries. I seem to remember that almost everything was 15 cents. Oh, for only the good old days.

166 Replies Related Threads

wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/07 16:25:19 (permalink)
    Carroll's, "Home of the Club Burger". We had two locations here in Plattsburgh. They were Plattsburgh's first "real' franchise-type fast food operations.

Carroll's finally became the fanchise owner for Burger King oulets in much of Central and Northern NY State. Both locations here were turned into BK's. For quite some time, Carroll's was BK's largest franchise operator. That is not likely the case anymore. BK's prodcut doesn't even come close to what Carroll's used to put out.

Wally
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/07 16:36:46 (permalink)
    Carroll's was my FAVORITE place to eat in my Kindergarten/First Grade years (1972-74). There was one in Kingston, PA---the halfway point from home to grandma's...and we would go every Saturday afternoon for lunch. I'm not sure why, but I liked it a lot better than McDonald's (maybe my chops were even fine tuned then ). Hmm? Could've been the orange (my favorite) color, the burgers, or all of those collectable cartoon glasses (still have some, the big ones are all here, the little ones broke. ). I'd say that Carroll's folded up here by '75 or '76---right around the time a BK moved down the street.
    What a treat!!!!

ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/07 20:07:48 (permalink)
    The Carolls Corporation still exists...what happened was that in the mid-70s they realized that they couldn't compete with Mickey Ds as Carolls,so they closed some locations,and transformed the others into Burger Kings-my very first real job was 'opening' a transformed old Carolls as BK in early 77..The Carolls Corporation remains one of the one or two largest BK franchisees....funny thing is that up until about a year or so ago, there WERE real Carolls in of all places... Sweden! Complete with Club Burgers..made my mouth droool...And yes it is spelled with one 'R'.....
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/07 20:10:52 (permalink)
    Carolls was the first 'real' fast food for a lot of smaller cities in NY,PA and Ohio I believe- back in the days when Mickey Ds was REAL picky about their locations...
    Linda Gebhardt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/07 22:09:28 (permalink)
    We had a Carrolls here in MA back in the early 70's.As a matter of fact we still have one of the orange trays that they use to serve the food on.They were one of first places around this area that stayed open 24 hours.My hubby and I would make middle of the night trips to Carrols when I was pregnant with our daughter and had cravings for one of their cheeseburgers.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/08 09:45:21 (permalink)
    The final definitive spelling: CARROLS.... if you do a google search for 'carrols' one of the first links is to a Swedish Carrols fan site,complete with a picture of a real Cluburger..mmmm...can almost taste the sucker!
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/08 12:59:29 (permalink)
    There were a number of Carrols resturants in the Binghamton, NY area. All of them are now Burger Kings. There was for some time a standing, <but abandoned> Carrol's in Cortland, NY. It was sort of nice just to see the place still standing. The Club Burger was definately light years better than the Big Mac. I have a collection of glasses that they were handing out back in the early 70's whenever you got a large size drink.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/08 14:12:23 (permalink)
    I hope you are referring to the classic Looney Tunes Pepsi series...which to me are the PERFECT glasses for milk,soda,etc....
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/08 20:21:34 (permalink)
    I am indeed!!!!!
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/09 08:10:04 (permalink)
    Actually there was at one time, two Carrols in Cortland. The first was on Groton ave. It stood vacant for years, then a Burger King was built next to it, and it was demolished to make way for a bank. My brother worked there briefly while in high school. He had the usual fast food stories, food pranks, rats at the dumpster, zit-faced-nazi-manager (or was that the McDonalds in Mill Valley California?).

My last memory of that Carrols was in 1976, out partying with a friend, he asked the time, and we rushed over to Carrols. It was closed when we got there, he went to the back door, and he came back with a warm sack full of burgers, and fries. His buddy was the manager, and these were the leftovers they were going to throw out. It was a nice break in a beer and herb infused night.

The second was on route 13. It died shortly after Mickey D built across the road. It became an Arby's and is now a carpet store.
    Cosmos
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/09 08:11:06 (permalink)
    Mickey D had the clown mascot, while Carrols had some kind of fuzzy worm. We called it the slug.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/09 18:09:38 (permalink)
    It was great to be reminded about Carrols. In the 70's when I was in high school I sold radio time for a local station. I picked up the Carrols account after meeting the local district rep. We ran contests each day for free meals of club burgers cheeseburgers coke and fries. He would give me boxes each with 1000 coupons for each item. I kept many of those coupons for myself and friends. We thought we put them out of business when they closed in Ct to become Burger King. I got so tired of the food went I went out with friends they would pay for my food at another restaurant so I would give them coupons for their meals. It was the best of times It was the worst of Diets.
    cooper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/09/22 12:18:57 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for sharing your memories about Carrols. The food was great and most of it was only .15. It is a shame the way good operations are forced to close their doors. Anyways, no one can rob us of the great memories as well as their mouth watering food. If anyone has any Carrols memorabilia that they would be interested in possibly selling, please drop me a note at fort1722@aol.com. Thanks.
    OhCarol
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/10/13 22:04:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cooper

Does anyone remember the Carrolls restaurant chain in Central New York in the early 1960's. Great burgers and fries. I seem to remember that almost everything was 15 cents. Oh, for only the good old days.
    OhCarol
    Junior Burger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/10/13 22:21:56 (permalink)
    I Remember Going To Carrolls In Guilderland Ny
    Frday Nighs Were Made For Carrolls
    Drive-In Movies, Walks Along The Beach
    And Then Back To Carrolls For Late Night Munchies!

Here's A Poem For All Carroll Lovers!

Whenever I Wanted A Burger And Fries,
    I Went To My Carrolls For A Big Surprise!
    On My Fries I'd Always Use Alot Salt,
    And Finish It Off With A Carrolls Chocalate Malt!

Carrolls Restaurant Was One For The Books,
    They Had Great Food Made By Wonderful
    Cooks!

When You Compare Carrolls To Other Places,
    No Other Diner Put Smiles On So Many Faces!

A Question To ALL Carroll Fans!
    Can Anyone Email Me A Picture Of Carrolls Restaurant!

Please EMail To
    Carolinakelly@webtv.net
    ansky
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2003/11/09 18:23:01 (permalink)
    I was at boarding school in Exeter, NH, in the early 70's, and there was a Carroll's within walking distance. The burger wrappers were soaked in grease ("au jus"?) by the time you got the tray to your table and it was heaven.
    retro-food
    Junior Burger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/01/10 12:33:03 (permalink)
    Does anyone know how to make the Club Burger? I think the sauce is similar to the Big Mac. I'd like to experiment at home.

I remember the Carrols in Rutland and Burlington Vermont in the 1970s. The food was much better than Mickey D's and BK. What a shame it's gone.

Is anyone interested in bringing Carrols back? The trademarks ("Carrols" and "A serving a second") have been "abandoned" by Carrols Corp. and is there for the taking!

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=rbp44c.4.5
    marcbla
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/01/19 16:45:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

Mickey D had the clown mascot, while Carrols had some kind of fuzzy worm. We called it the slug.
    marcbla
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/01/19 16:47:31 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Cosmos

[ they had a mascot dressed like a clown his name was hi riddle-diddle/quote]
    marcbla
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/01/19 16:51:06 (permalink)
    i remember the club burger it came with a cardboard collar around it so it wouldn't fall apart
    Cosmos
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/01/20 12:56:52 (permalink)
    Basically, a clone of the big mac.
    okuma
    Junior Burger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/02/07 12:21:36 (permalink)
    I remember going to a Carrolls in Geneva NY when I was a small kid in the late 60's early 70's. It was always kinda funny to me that McDonalds was supposedly such a smash hit, but here my family and I chose to eat at Carrolls which just happened to be RIGHT NEXT TO McDONALDS!! I too remember the wrappers,burgers,fries,and shakes of the great Carrolls. Wonderful Food! Wonderful time! Thanks for the memories!
    smittykins66
    Junior Burger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/02/11 21:52:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by okuma

I remember going to a Carrolls in Geneva NY when I was a small kid in the late 60's early 70's. It was always kinda funny to me that McDonalds was supposedly such a smash hit, but here my family and I chose to eat at Carrolls which just happened to be RIGHT NEXT TO McDONALDS!! I too remember the wrappers,burgers,fries,and shakes of the great Carrolls. Wonderful Food! Wonderful time! Thanks for the memories!

This is my first post--hi, everyone! *waves*

I very well remember the Carrol's in Geneva--I live in Seneca Falls and also frequented the one on Thompson Road in Syracuse while growing up. Mom and I would go there three or four times a week during the summer, which would probably get you cited for child abuse nowadays... Also, wasn't there at least one Carrol's Cinema(I'm almost positive seeing one in Erie Blvd. East as a kid)?
    jweatherell
    Junior Burger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/04/13 23:20:53 (permalink)
    WOW! I didn't think that Carroll's was still a topi of discussion.
    We had a Carroll's back home in Olean, NY. It was walking distance from my house. I believe the building is still there but is now used by the cutlery in town. It was an appliance store for many years before that. There was already a BK intown, so Carroll's was just closed down.
    We also had a Carroll's Theater in town. They had a number of movie theaters around as well.

j
    Ironbabba
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/04/14 01:07:28 (permalink)
    The last time I ate at a White Castle was about 30 years ago. The sliders ( w/chz ) were outstanding. In Wisconsin we don't have WC but we do have the Culver's which are good but way to big for me. Our Hardee's now have a "slammer" which is supposed to be like the Sliders, NOOOOOOO Way! they are charbaked dry, burnt on the edges and you have to poke them down with grampa's boot!

Frozen sliders are better, but not like the real thing.

If you ever get to Wisconsin, PLEASE go to the Wisconsin Dells and have a burger at Monk's on Main street. The best especially if you like it mooing like I do!

Happy Eating!
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2004/04/14 09:53:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by smittykins66

quote:
    Originally posted by okuma

This is my first post--hi, everyone! *waves*

I very well remember the Carrol's in Geneva--I live in Seneca Falls and also frequented the one on Thompson Road in Syracuse while growing up. Mom and I would go there three or four times a week during the summer, which would probably get you cited for child abuse nowadays... Also, wasn't there at least one Carrol's Cinema(I'm almost positive seeing one in Erie Blvd. East as a kid)?

Oh yeah....old Herbie Slotnick tried show biz for awhile too...They were the movie place in our area that showed all the cool 'midnight movies' on weekends- Rocky Horror,Reefer Madness,all the cool concert movies...
    Kaczmark
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2005/02/26 10:26:35 (permalink)
    Oh,...Oh...the sauce...THE SAUCE. Well, it smelled great, it tasted great, it was a great color, and when ordered x-tra x-tra sauce on the Clubburgers,...wow....heaven. I can't believe that someone, ANYONE can't bring Caroll's back. Bring it back and happily watch Micky D's slide down the toilet. P.S. I knew someone who worked for Caroll's and he said the name of the special sauce was Crisbo Royal Sauce.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2005/02/26 10:34:39 (permalink)
    Wow, didn't know this thread existed.
    Carrolls was great. There was one in Middletown, NY. Between my sr. yr of HS and fresh college I took summer classes at the local community college. I stopped at Carolls every day on the way home and often while out with friends etc.
    Yea, Carrolls, in my memory was different. The sauce on the triple decker, the fish sandwich was real fish and tasty and yes, the cardboard collar around the triple decker.
    It was my first experience with fast food burgers. Everything since has just not measured up.
    Kaczmark
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Carrolls restaurants 2005/04/29 10:47:11 (permalink)
    Here's somethin' off the web that carrols lovers may not know or even care to know....Half of the ONLY surviving Carrol's Resteraunts, only located in Finland, not serve alcohol. Can't see how a screwdriver would go with a Clubburger.....
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1