- Joined: 11/22/2007
- Location: southern, MA
Portuguese Beef - Cacoila
Thu, 11/22/07 6:16 PM
I am 1/2 Portuguese and just want to share a recipe my Va-Voa (grandmother) used to make all the time. Hope you like it.
This is marinated beef, Portuguese style. As a variation to cooking, I place all ingredients in a slow cooker on high, stirring often, and cook for about 3 hours, until meat shreds itself.
* 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
* 3 oranges, juiced
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 2 bay leaves
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Rinse beef, and place in large bowl. Pour in orange juice, wine, oil and pepper sauce. Season with bay leaves, garlic, paprika, allspice, salt and pepper. Mix, to coat beef. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
2. Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook beef and marinade until beef shreds easily, about 1 hour. Add water as needed.