Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Kentucky Bourbon

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
pigface

• Total Posts: 406
RE: Kentucky Bourbon Thu, 11/29/07 10:10 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

Woodford Reserve. Lovely. Really.

nuff said

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
    RE: Kentucky Bourbon Thu, 11/29/07 10:12 PM (permalink)
    Oddly no bourbon is made these days in Bourbon County, Ky.

I knew Bourbon was produced in Virginia, but I had no idea Yankees were making the stuff. Pennslyvania and
    New York Bourbon?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Kentucky Bourbon Thu, 11/29/07 10:37 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by jmckee

Woodford Reserve. Lovely. Really.

YES, it is!!!!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Kentucky Bourbon Thu, 11/29/07 10:38 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Robearjr
        Pennsylvania and
        New York Bourbon?

Robear,
        Yes, that's hard to imagine, isn't it? -- Seems that boutique distillers are springing up all over the place these days... like boutique brewers and vintners.
        There is, on an entire 'nother line of discussion, a single malt whisky maker on Cape Breton Island of Nova Scotia in the Martimes of Eastern Canada that produces a credible product, according to a friend who tried the stuff as soon as it hit the local stores (only two carry it). It's Glen Breton Rare, made by The Glenora Inn & Distillery in Glenville, Nova Scotia. Since it's a ways up there, and their rooms run the likes of $120 a night, I think I'll try it here... directly.
        Whiskered But Unwhiskified, Ort. Carlton in Legally-Wet-For-Spirits-By-Drink Since 1968 Athens, Georgia.

Big_g

RE: Kentucky Bourbon Thu, 11/29/07 10:41 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by porkbeaks

I drink bourbon with Coke. I'd be a sipper if they could make one that was as sippable as this stuff....

A lovely lady that took me out to dinner on my birthday bought me two short snifters. I didn't know what to do I was so tickled. Well we shared...and it must have taken us an hour to sip, cuddle, and enjoy it.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Kentucky Bourbon Thu, 11/29/07 10:43 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by porkbeaks

I drink bourbon with Coke. I'd be a sipper if they could make one that was as sippable as this stuff....

PB

May I share in your enjoyment???

When I managed at OG, we used to have Louis Tres in stock, until one night after a LONG DAY, my asst mgr, lead line cook, and the bartender and I polished off the new bottle we had just got in.

Needless to say, we no longer carried it in stock after that night.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Kentucky Bourbon Thu, 11/29/07 10:56 PM (permalink)
              Dearfolk,
              Meanwhile, back to the topic to hand.
              My favorite Kentucky Bourbon has to have been (I use past tense because they don't make it any more, much to my eternal chagrin!) Maker's Mark 101. I met up with it back in 1987 in a liquor store in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and may still have maybe a third of the bottle left, packed away someplace in my land of rubble.
              Of whisky that is still made, chalk me up a Maker's Mark fan. I've tried the majority of those Jim Beam private recipes, and Maker's still beats them all IMHO (to use a computerese word for once!).
              Now -- if we're talking Tennessee whisky, I prefer George Dickel to Jack Daniels hands down.
              Among single malts, my favorite thusfar is Isle Of Jura from off the west coast of Scotland, which must be made from some of the hardest limestone water known on earth. It reminds me in a sense of the English ales that come from Adnams Brewery in Southwold in Suffolk... there's a hint of seaweediness in there, and I love it. (Pardon me while my mind slurps for a moment.)
              Slightly Salivatingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, which has soft granitic water and no limestone nearby.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                RE: Kentucky Bourbon Fri, 11/30/07 8:04 PM (permalink)
                I've heard that half of all bourbon is consumed in Kentucky. (the next biggest drinker is Japan)

Anyway, it is interesting to see how many different kinds of Bourbon are availble at even small liquour stores in Kentucky. Whenever I am in the Bluegrass State I always try and pick up something I can't find back in Maryland.

bluetick

• Total Posts: 39
                  RE: Kentucky Bourbon Sat, 12/1/07 3:48 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                  Meanwhile, back to the topic to hand.
                  My favorite Kentucky Bourbon has to have been (I use past tense because they don't make it any more, much to my eternal chagrin!) Maker's Mark 101. I met up with it back in 1987 in a liquor store in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and may still have maybe a third of the bottle left, packed away someplace in my land of rubble.
                  Of whisky that is still made, chalk me up a Maker's Mark fan. I've tried the majority of those Jim Beam private recipes, and Maker's still beats them all IMHO (to use a computerese word for once!).
                  Now -- if we're talking Tennessee whisky, I prefer George Dickel to Jack Daniels hands down.
                  Among single malts, my favorite thusfar is Isle Of Jura from off the west coast of Scotland, which must be made from some of the hardest limestone water known on earth. It reminds me in a sense of the English ales that come from Adnams Brewery in Southwold in Suffolk... there's a hint of seaweediness in there, and I love it. (Pardon me while my mind slurps for a moment.)
                  Slightly Salivatingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, which has soft granitic water and no limestone nearby.

I agree regarding Dickel. There is a bottle of No. 12 on the shelf here at home that is running awfully low. I need to reload soon.

To keep this bourbon related, someone recently gave me a bottle of Buffalo Trace, which is pretty good.

I have to disagree regarding Isle of Jura, assuming you're referring to the 10 yr variety. To me, it feels oily - even greasy. OTOH, Isle of Jura Superstition seems highly regarded, but I have never tried it. If I come across it in a bar, I might give it a try. Presently, I'm partial to cask strength Laphroaig 10 yr. (or Aberlour 10 yr. if a tasty but not so phenolic wee dram is in order). There are so many out there to choose from though. Too many drams, so little money.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
                    RE: Kentucky Bourbon Sat, 12/1/07 8:02 AM (permalink)
                    Glad that someone mentioned Evan Williams. It's really good value, and fine foreveryday use. The same can be said for Ezra Brooks

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Kentucky Bourbon Tue, 12/4/07 1:15 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by bluetick

There are so many out there to choose from though. Too many drams, so little money.

Bluetick,
                      Ain't it the dram truth!
                      Ounce In A Lifetime, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
                      P. S. Maybe my love of Isle Of Jura is because of that perceived oiliness. I agree about Laphroaig; it's got quite a Band-Aid flavor to it, but I have to admit that it is (thusfar) my second favorite.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Kentucky Bourbon Tue, 12/4/07 1:33 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Robearjr
                        Anyway, it is interesting to see how many different kinds of Bourbon are available at even small liquour stores in Kentucky. Whenever I am in the Bluegrass State I always try and pick up something I can't find back in Maryland.

Robear,
                        The trick in Kentucky is to find a wet jurisdiction! Warren County originally went wet in 1936, and was for some years the sole outpost of sale for miles around. In 1948 the county went dry, but the city has remained wet continuously. Some time around 1940, Christian County (Hopkinsville) voted wet; it was the exception to the Central Kentucky dry rule. Now Russellville, Madisonville, Central City, and a couple of other cities in that area have voted themselves wet... but still not Glasgow nor Somerset, unless I haven't heard about it.
                        In the eastern end of the state, Ashland went wet within the last 15 years, as did Morehead. Before that, a person had to venture clear to Lexington (the Fayette County line) or the city of Richmond to buy their booze, or else cross a state line.
                        The most amazing liquor store I've ever seen anywhere is Liquor Barn at 3040 Richmond Road in Lexington, Kentucky. I see that they have two other stores in town (921 Beaumont Centre Parkway and 1837 Plaudit Place), plus three locations in Louisville (those stores are open on Sunday; the Lexington ones aren't).
                        Kentucky has very liberal wholesaler importation laws, so a patron can find a lot of items there that aren't sold in any adjacent state... file that tidbit away and use it at will.
                        Unthirstily, Dead Sober (But Not Dead Yet!) Ort. Carlton in Awfully Doggone Wet Athens, Georgia.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                          RE: Kentucky Bourbon Tue, 12/4/07 12:10 PM (permalink)
                          Somerset is still dry, but certain cities in KY, such on Burnside and Danville, are "moist" ~ only restaurants that seat 100 or more people can serve alcohol.

I went to a small winery in Versailles that sold beer and the entire time I was there, beer trucks were continually unloading hundreds of cases of beer. And people were loading up their cars with cases and cases of beer. Their selection of wine was not that extensive, so I assume this was not their main source of income.

Also in Versailles, we were trying to find a liquor store. A friend had requested that while in bourbon country we try to find him a bottle of Old Fitzgerald. We found one and when we went in there was a small {VERY SMALL} bar, and although they could sell bottles of liquor to go, they could only sell beer at the bar. I think I have a picture somewhere I'll try to post.

Edit for pictures of the 7 stool beer bar, with the regulars and the girls. We had a blast!! I love bourbon country!

CookieMonster84

• Total Posts: 41
                            RE: Kentucky Bourbon Tue, 12/4/07 12:21 PM (permalink)
                            I saw this article too. Bourbon is making a comeback, but hopefully it doesn't get as expensive as the nice vodka out there...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com