Berryhill's Tamales

Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/09/10 10:14:12 (permalink)

Berryhill's Tamales

Last night I watched "Food Finds" in Houston. They did a segment on Berryhills, and I believe they said you could order them online.

Berryhills has been a favorite after-work spot for a long time and they are best known for their tamales. After a couple of delicious margaritas, a shared plate of a combination of tamales is fantastic. The spinach are my favorite.

Here is an excerpt from their website about the origin of their tamales:
Since 1928, Berryhill’s tamales have been a Houston tradition. It all started with one man, a bicycle and a recipe. Those who like to wax nostalgic about the good old days will remember the tempting taste of Walter Berryhill’s homemade tamales, which he sold from a pushcart along the street corners of the posh River Oaks area of Houston. Much to the sorrow of those who loved the man and his tamales, when Walter Berryhill retired in the 1960s, he took his cart, tortilla press, and the coveted recipe and quietly went home.

The famous recipe and the little tamale cart sat in a warehouse until 1993, when the first Berryhill restaurant was born: a little taqueria, lovingly named Berryhill Tamales and Tacos.

www.berryhilltamales.com

8 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1