Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
2003/09/11 10:28:09 (permalink)

Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location

I thought I would start this new thread. Roadfood is about experiencing something new and unique or the best of the best. I know there was a similar but very different thread about food that represents your state. However what are regional food that represents your city, neighborhood, or a regional part of a state or a regional part of the country? How many times do we go to a local restaurant and find something on the menu that we've never seen before, and then discover it's something unique to the area. Where are the best restaurants that we can find these unique (or not so unique) regional treasures???

Oop's, I thought I would go first, but forgot to contribute. I'll go with the NYC area, since this is where I grew up and spent the first 27 years of my life. I grew up on Long Island in a town with a large Jewish population and a decent sized italian population. We had bagels Knishes, Chopped Liver, Farfel, Potato Pudding, Kasha Varnishkes, Hebrew National Dogs with Sauerkraut and brown mustard, Corned Beef or Pastrami on rye, kischkes, tsimmis, matzoh ball soup, egg creams, rugelach and Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda....On the other hand we had thin crust pizza's by the slice, heros, garlic knots, sausage rolls, calzones, zeppoles, and cannolis. And who can forget Manhattan Clam Chowder

490 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1