sick soups

Author
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
2007/12/12 00:13:48 (permalink)

sick soups

OK, I know all the stories about Chicken Noodle for when you have a cold, but I don't eat birds or fish. So, when I got a cold, for the first time in many years, I wanted some soup, and I bought both Campbell's Onion Soup, and Asparagus, which is a little heavier than the onion.
Now, I know we all sort of think Campbell's is lame, compared to some other options, but the stories I hear are that they hired a really good French chef a long time ago, and they are pretty serious about their formulas, OK?
So, here's what I concocted while I had a bad cold. First, I got into the onion soup. Made it two days in a row. I like the "Francisco" brand sourdough bread that resembles a football. I take the heels, toast them, cut them into cubes, toss them into the cold soup, add some cracked pepper, then heat that up. A microwave is fine for that step. Now, add a couple slices of swiss cheese, and put the bowl under a broiler until the cheese starts to brown. I'm using a toaster oven. Be very careful with this thing, it will be HOT. Let it rest for a few minutes. What works nicely for this item is a small souffle dish. Straight sides. Throw a little parmesan on there if you like. What's interesting here is that the same concept works well with the asparagus, and most likely with mushroom, too. I'd like to hear from folks who try out this cold remedy, 'tis the season!
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net 213 219 7160

38 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1