The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS

hydrationprincess

• Total Posts: 3
Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Tue, 12/18/07 2:55 PM (permalink)
For those of you who are venturing through California, you MUST stop at Jocko's Steakhouse in a little town called Nipomo, California. It is about 8 miles north of Santa Maria in the Central Coast area of California. My husband and I live in Nipomo and it took us over a year to get up the nerve to visit Jocko's - it's not the nicest looking steakhouse. And boy were we disappointed that it took us so long when we finally made it. This place is INSANE! We eat there whenever we get the chance. The filet cut is my personal favorite. It is a minimum of 18 oz of perfectly cut beef with very, very little fat and it is cooked to perfection all the way through every time! I don't know how the guys does it (he is a Culinary Institute Graduate) but it is without a doubt the best steak we have ever eaten - and we have tried many steaks throughout the U.S. The side dishes are just ok...nothing at all to write home about. But no one goes to Jocko's for the side dishes. You get a salad (basically iceberg lettuce with a slice of a beet on top) and choice of steamed rice, baked potato or fries, Jocko's baked beans and their delicious garlic break. You also get a scoop of ice cream with your dinner. The filet is about $30 and well worth it. This place ALWAYS has a wait for dinner so call ahead for reservations. Sometimes the wait can be almost 2 hours! Jocko's address and phone number are:
125 N. Thompson Avenue, Nipomo, CA, (805) 929-3686. Take the Tefft Street exit off of Highway 101 in Nipomo - this is actually the ONLY exit in Nipomo, so you can't go wrong. Jocko's is a VERY casual place and the seats are VERY close together. Hopefully you don't mind cozying up with strangers. For a treat, head out back and watch them do their magic at the grill. Best of all - ENJOY!!!

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Tue, 12/18/07 3:06 PM (permalink)
    Uh huh.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Tue, 12/18/07 3:08 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Uh huh.

You said it- I didn't!

buffetbuster

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Tue, 12/18/07 3:44 PM (permalink)
        Jocko's has appeared in the last two Roadfood books.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
          RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Tue, 12/18/07 8:53 PM (permalink)
          I've written several times here----most recently about the Santa Maria trip I hosted for several Roadfooders in March. As it happens, I will be having dinner at Jocko's in a few weeks as part of my honeymoon trip to Santa Barbara's wine country. It's definitely a place I go to whenever I'm in the area. Hydrationprincess is exactly right about it. I believe Elise T had posted some of the pics of the food our table had. My lamb chops were awesome and enough for two meals----cooked to a perfect rare over red oak wood.

Here is a previous report I did on it.
          http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8232&SearchTerms=jocko's

Welcome to Roadfood, Hydration Princess! What are some of your other favorite CA places?

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
            RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Wed, 12/19/07 3:40 PM (permalink)
            A steak -- with no visible fat? And it has flavor?

Is this even possible?

Sorry, each to his own, but I don't think it's a good steak without good marbling and hopefully a nice streak of fat down the side.

Good times.

EdSails

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Wed, 12/19/07 5:20 PM (permalink)
              I think maybe at Hydrationprincess exaggerated. I've had the Spencer steak and others who who have been there with me have had the filets and they always had a nice piece of fat on them. The lamb chops that I usually get have a nice crown of fat.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Wed, 12/19/07 5:25 PM (permalink)
                I'm just wondering why hydrationprincess hasn't responded about some more of her favorite roadfood places

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Wed, 12/19/07 6:03 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by wanderingjew

I'm just wondering why hydrationprincess hasn't responded about some more of her favorite roadfood places

You can't help but wonder, can you?

Do you think you might be able to call her at the number posted above and ask her?

EdSails

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Wed, 12/19/07 7:16 PM (permalink)
                    I will give you that. I see she's listed as being from Nipomo.

hydrationprincess

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Thu, 12/20/07 4:41 PM (permalink)
                      hello all - I have not checked in for a few days - so imagine my surprise when I saw that I had some replies to my posting - wohoo! I may have exaggerated a tiny bit when I said that my filet from Jocko's had no fat...but it certainly has the least amount of fat than steaks I've had at other steakhouses and on a consistent basis. Thanks for all of your replies! I have a few places my husband and I really enjoy here in the Central Coast. One is a teeny, tiny Mexican establishment (I say establishment b/c there are literally only two small old fashioned diner tables in there and nowhere to eat outside). It is called "Chacho's" and it is in the small town of Oceano off of Hwy 101. They make incredible home made tortillas and burrito's. You can call ahead and get their tortillas to go and make your own creations at home.

There is an Italian restaurant we frequent in Pismo Beach called Rosa's. They serve a mixture of Northern & Southern Italian food and it is delicious! A few doors down the street from them (same side of the street) is an excellent Thai restaurant called Thai Talay. These people retired from Southern California and moved up here and their food rivals some of our favorite Thai food restaurants from the Bay Area (where I'm originally from).

Both Rosa's and Thai Talay are off of Hwy 101 and Price Street. If you stop by - enjoy!!! I hope you all have happy holidays!

EdSails

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Thu, 12/20/07 5:56 PM (permalink)
                        Hydationprincess,
                        Have you tried the "Mayor's Place" in Nipomo? Amazing breakfasts and the best chicken fried steak I've found in CA.
                        I have never tried Rosa's but had very good food down the street at Giuseppe's.
                        Can you recommend any places for nicer dining in Santa maria? I will be there next week and am going to Jocko's (of course) and trying a place called Chef Rick's. Do you know it? I am looking for a few other nice places and possibly a place for New Years Eve.
                        Thanks,
                        Ed

hydrationprincess

RE: Jocko's, Nipomo, California - BEST STEAKS Tue, 12/25/07 4:26 PM (permalink)
                          Hi Ed,

Rosa's is quite good we think! A bit more consistent than Guiseppe's. As for dining in Santa Maria - I can't say I know of any places therre that are really spectacular. We work in San Luis Obispo so we tend to venture up that way more often than not. We did try a place that is sort of new in Santa Maria called Cool Hand Lukes. Kind of a fun steakhouse - nothing like Jocko's though. But if you go there knowing that, you'll be ok. Sorry bout not being a good resource for food in Santa Maria - we do plan on exploring that area in 2008 though - one of our goals. I hope you have a fabulous New Year's, wonderful meals and safe travels!

- Hydrationprincess

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com